Transport - Amsterdam style

Default Transport - Amsterdam style

I took some pictures of cars etc in Amsterdam. I saw some quite interesting models. On the airport official taxis are electric. Mainly Big Tesla. Saw one BMW i8. Quite a few public parking areas have charging points.

Black small one is electric. I suspect that this and the next two are in a category "no license required". This one had a soft baby cot in the back. Green is in the same category and electric. Red is petrol driven. Often these small "cars" are used by elderly people. This red definitely so. Prius is quite common. The one connected to public charge station is big Tesla Model X.

Bicycles. Thousands of them. Big difference between these and those generally seen here is that those in Amsterdam are simple basic bicycles to get from A to B and not "I have more expensive". I did not see one of those show offs. Same applies to cars. You do find some expensive cars but far less of these high spec models or special edition types. I was told that the electric cars are subsidized and it can be that no other official taxi types are allowed on the airport.

This long special bicycle is a real mommy's taxi. One kid in the back and either twins or a lot of stuff in front. Electrically assisted. I did see two of them.

Public transport. Plenty and it works. Train to airport is cheaper than in JHB.

No bakkies - not one. I did see couple 4x4.

One important point. People walk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010685_resize.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	512596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010714_resize.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	512597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010718_resize.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	512598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010697_resize.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	512599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010713_resize.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	512600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010711_resize.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	512601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010716_resize.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	512602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010717_resize.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	512603  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010741_resize.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	512604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010747_resize.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	512605  
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Transport - Amsterdam style

In all my years of travelling, i found the cars very interesting.

Bakkies is generally very scarce in Europe. I would think that they are very impractical in small parking spaces. They rather use panel vans as workhorses or SUV's, station wagons as family transport.

Many, many moons ago, I saw a Ford bakkie in the UK - those based on a Cortina, with a sticker in the front window: "Made in South Africa"

And yes, the Dutch transport system is amazing!

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2018/12/08 at 08:26 AM.

Owning a 4x4 in the Netherlands is very expensive. People complain paying R265 000 for a Jimny, there it is over R400 000 due to all emissions etc.
    Sent from my iPhone

We were there in 2015, flew to Amsterdams Shiphol airport and took about a fifteen minute train trip to Centraal Train Station. From there apart from taking a train to Johan Kruijff stadium to watch Ajax Amsterdam we walked everywhere from our hotel. Museums, restaurants, zoos etc all famous tourist sites are comfortable walking distance and transport is a big cost factor to any holiday so that was a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    We were there in 2015, flew to Amsterdams Shiphol airport and took about a fifteen minute train trip to Centraal Train Station. From there apart from taking a train to Johan Kruijff stadium to watch Ajax Amsterdam we walked everywhere from our hotel. Museums, restaurants, zoos etc all famous tourist sites are comfortable walking distance and transport is a big cost factor to any holiday so that was a plus.
    Would love to visit Amsterdam!
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Would love to visit Amsterdam!
    Go flower time but be careful with hotel prices. I been in Amsterdam 3 times. By car one time (only one day) and flying in twice. Both times took hotel "on airport". Free shuttle service to airport and train ticket to town return was under EUR 10. On multiple days there can be cheaper tickets. On peak time accommodation in town can be very expensive.

Having a bit more time there are day trips to Belgium. Drive outside town can be interesting. Canals are everywhere. Also driving over the very long wall on the sea was interesting.

This time "window shopping" had mainly winter size ladies. Some of the "bolts" on sale. Eish. Need really big nut.

No need to buy pot. Just stand in right place. Could smell it everywhere.

There is plenty history to see. Just a warning. Those who are big in various directions better select the restaurant right. Houses were taxed per meter facing canal and most probably also in other areas. Houses are narrow. Toilets are often on top and those stairs are bad. Size of the toilets
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post: