Spare Tyre

Thread: Spare Tyre

Default Spare Tyre

My Echo 4 trailer is just over 12 years old and I have never used the spare tyre on the back. The trailer is stored in a garage and other than when traveling, the tyre has never been exposed to the elements. Do you think that this tyre is still safe to use should I need it or should I replace an unused tyre?
    Last edited by Dirk; 2018/12/12 at 09:04 AM.

Default Re: Spare Tyre

Replace it.
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Replace it.
    I concur. The amount of damage a burst tyre can do to a caravan or trailer far exceeds the price of a new tyre.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Replace. Several reasons why a tyre ages and becomes unsafe even in darkness. Not worth risking it.

In 2002 I placed two new Goodyear tyres on wheels in the load body under the canopy . They are still there in an upright position chained the the rollbar and never used. Any comments.

Mercenaries never die, they just go to hell to regroup.

Tyres are made from biodegradable rubber and the manufacturers will not pay out a claim if the tyre is more than 5 years old,
    irrespective on how many km the tyre has done. After 5 years it is no longer safe to use...

The tyre story again: Insurers will pay out if a tyre is older than 5 years...BUT it must have sufficient tread depth and undamaged side walls so essentially they need to be roadworthy! Tyres older than 10years is a grey area because degradation of the tyre some are still in good condition and others not and this has to do with the chemical composition of the 'rubber'. Most 'rubbers' used in tyres are no longer natural rubber but polymers with an oil base and these can degrade too albeit at a slower rate than natural rubber. So that is why after the Second World War tyre manufacturers gradually stopped telling people to change tyres after 5 years because the synthetic materials that were used in the tyre 'rubber' compound took much longer to degrade. From the Dunlop website:
    When to Change Your Tyres

Once your tyres have been on your car for five years, Dunlop recommends having them inspected properly at least once a year. Age deteriorates your tyres regardless of whether or not you drive on them, and it is recommended to get them replaced at the very least every ten years, even if they donít look worn. Remember that tyre age is measured from the date of manufacture, not of purchase, as tyres wear even in storage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullterrier For This Useful Post:

I don't replace any of my tyres unless

1: they have reached the physical limits of the tyre or
    2: the rubber has started to degrade or fail

Physical limits meaning the tire is no longer able to perform up to the specification it was manufactured to. ie tyre depth too low or tyre belt is damaged due to punctures ect

degraded rubber failure is once it's chemical structure of the tyre has changed to the point that the tensile strength, color, shape, etc of the rubber has changed.

Some tyres stay in warehouses for up to 3 years before being sold to the public so if you had to change your tyres every 5 years it could be a costly business. Most tyre companies ie Michelin will say the same thing.. they recommend changing your tyres every 10 years but this is only a recommendation and you yourself must be the judge of this. So inspect your tyres regularly and look after them.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lea...hange-my-tyres

Quote Originally Posted by haboob View Post
    Tyres are made from biodegradable rubber and the manufacturers will not pay out a claim if the tyre is more than 5 years old,
    irrespective on how many km the tyre has done. After 5 years it is no longer safe to use...
    Was told exactly the same thing by a tyre dealer/friend a week ago. I replaced it.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

I think it was Poen who had this signature: "When You're Dead, You Don't Know You're Dead. It's Only Difficult For Others. It's The Same Way When You're Stupid". There are some commentators on this thread that even when presented with facts and statements from tyre manufacturers they keep on repeating the same fallacy. Well, so much for trying to inform folks about the facts...!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullterrier For This Useful Post:

Replace.

I still cannot believe how we can drive all these expensive cars but then skimp on tyres. That is the only thing keeping you in contact with the road.

And it is only a couple of thousand every 3-5 years. Budget for it, save for it, and replace when necessary. Personally, I replace every 4 years regardless of condition.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Replace.I still cannot believe how we can drive all these expensive cars but then skimp on tyres. That is the only thing keeping you in contact with the road. And it is only a couple of thousand every 3-5 years. Budget for it, save for it, and replace when necessary. Personally, I replace every 4 years regardless of condition.
    I think you are missing the point. The discussion is about trailer tyres that in most cases do no more than 3000km per annum i.e. max. 15000km in 5 years. These tyres will still be good as new in most cases except ofcourse when you do rock-crawling. SUV's, on the other hand, do an average 20000km per annum and in most cases the tyres are smooth or close to being illegal after 4 years. My point is, if tyres have fair amount of tread and sidewalls are good, then tyres can be used up to 10 years. And for those who still don't get it, read my reference to Poen's signature in the post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullterrier View Post
    I think you are missing the point. The discussion is about trailer tyres that in most cases do no more than 3000km per annum i.e. max. 15000km in 5 years. These tyres will still be good as new in most cases except ofcourse when you do rock-crawling. SUV's, on the other hand, do an average 20000km per annum and in most cases the tyres are smooth or close to being illegal after 4 years. My point is, if tyres have fair amount of tread and sidewalls are good, then tyres can be used up to 10 years. And for those who still don't get it, read my reference to Poen's signature in the post above.
    Not missing the point. Tyres deteriorate. Fact. So do what you deem best for you. Me, I replace even if never used.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post: