4x4 system on Ford Ranger

Default 4x4 system on Ford Ranger

Hi guys,
    Can anyone with a bit more knowledge confirm the following for me: I have a problem with the rear parking sensors on my Ranger (2016) not working. The 4x4 system also does not engage at all. The dealer says that I need to fix the parking sensors in order for the 4x4 to work again. Can this be true? They have trouble in getting the correct parts for the sensors and this now leaves me without a 4x4!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leontheron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 4x4 system on Ford Ranger

I do not want a 4x4 unless it has a "short stick" for low range function.

Petri Oosthuizen confirmed this view in another thread.

I think, apart from the Cruisers, I probably have one of the last full time 4x4 + low range with a short stick Toyotas coming to our market. My guess is that the 4x4 Fortuner D4D's are going to become the sought after Toyotas in time to come. The last of the "tough ones"' with full time all wheel drive - Toyota's equavalent of the late Defenders. (Toyota having rear diff lock opposed to Defender having articulation)

Mine will be sold from my "late estate". (my son and son in law both have "sophisticated" 4x4's)
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Did the reverse sensor and 4x4 fail at the same time?
    Did you damage the sensor, or did it just stop?
    What happens when you try and engage 4x4? Lights flash? Can you hear the solenoid?
    Have you done some recent water crossings?
    Do you get any error lights on the dash?
    Do you have a tacker installed?

You will be surprised at how all the systems are interlinked on these bakkies. If the MAF on these vehicles is unplugged it cannot switch between modes.
    Quick Test

1. Ensure vehicle is switched off.
    2. Move selector to 4H/4L
    3. Start vehicle and see if it selected

Get a bluetooth OBDII reader and download TorqueTune to your cellphone. It helps a lot in identifying and fixing small problems
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JuanB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by leontheron View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can anyone with a bit more knowledge confirm the following for me: I have a problem with the rear parking sensors on my Ranger (2016) not working. The 4x4 system also does not engage at all. The dealer says that I need to fix the parking sensors in order for the 4x4 to work again. Can this be true? They have trouble in getting the correct parts for the sensors and this now leaves me without a 4x4!
    Morning.
    I highly doubt if your sensor has any thing to do with the 4x4 system, may bee try another dealer.
    The problem these days they don't go for proper training they can only service your vehicle and that some day's is a mess.
    Might be a fuse problem, if you put it in 4H what happens?