Kubu Island and Hwange trip - October 2018

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kubu Island and Hwange trip - October 2018

Okay...so Kubu Island should really be posted in the Botswana section of this forum but we were only there for 2 nights on our way up to Zim and since most people seem to go through Botswana to get to Hwange I thought it would be okay to post that part here?

I'll keep this report reasonably short and concise and post a more detailed trip report on my website at a later date when I can summon some energy and enthusiasm for writing, which I really struggle with. Hopefully the photos will help paint a thousand words!

My wife and I left Cape Town on 28 September and had 2 overnight stops on the way up to Martins Drift border post. We stayed at Travalia near 3 Sisters and Hullabaloo in Lichtenburg. Both offered decent accommodation at reasonable rates. Overnight accommodation on the SA side of the border post was at Klippan River Lodge (very nice facilities and view overlooking the Limpopo). We met up with my brother, his wife and another couple from the UK at Klippan.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davesg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kubu Island and Hwange trip - October 2018

The border crossing at Martins Drift was quick and without any hassle. We filled up with diesel at Serowe before driving through to Kubu Island. This was our first visit to Kubu and I must confess to having been a bit worried about road (track?) conditions getting there. I needn't have been. At that time of year it was very dry and bar a few sandy patches and rough sections in the first few kilometers after the viewing deck at the start of the track the rest was easy going. My Disco did pick up a few more scratch marks along the sides from some narrow sections through the bush though. But I never bought it to be a pavement pimp so I see them as marks of honour!

We arrived at Kubu latish in the afternoon and set up camp on site 7 which was flat and looked most suitable for ease of movement for me in a wheelchair. Probably not the best of views from there looking out at the pan but good enough for our 2 night stay. The temperature was mid 30's and with no breeze or wind a cold one at the end of the day was very welcome.

It was hot again the next day and we spent most of it relaxing in camp with a drive around the island for Pippa and I later in the afternoon while the others went for a walk to explore the area. It really is a fascinating place and well worth a visit but for me our short time there was enough. Not a hell of a lot to do with no game viewing. We tried a bit of star photography that night but with no success...I'll stick to wildlife in future! My attempt at star trails was rudely interrupted after a couple of minutes when my brother shone his torch across camp to have a chat with the others gathered by the fire. The baobab came out really nicely but the blurred stars and torch effects make it look like something out of a Giles cartoon (older folk might know what I mean!).

The track north up to Nata was quite rough and slow going but without any problems. Just a few more scratches on the Disco.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1361.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	512321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1362.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	512322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1380.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	512323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1382.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	512324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1385.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	976.3 KB 
ID:	512325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1407.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	956.3 KB 
ID:	512326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1414.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	512327  

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Davesg For This Useful Post:

It took us about 5 hours to get to Nata from Kubu. As said previously, the track is quite rough and slow going but sadly very little to see along the way. We filled our tanks and bought more drinking water in Nata before carrying on to our overnight stop at Panda Rest Camp outside Pandamatenga. The accommodation was rustic but comfortable and we had a decent meal at the restaurant.

We had a very quick and easy border crossing the next morning. No hassles from the Zim officials and they were really friendly and seemed to enjoy having something to do and someone new to chat to. It was that quiet!

We were booked into Ngweshla for our first 5 nights in Hwange. Having read reports of road conditions between Robins and Main Camps we decided to go the long way around via the A8 main road and enter Hwange at the Main Camp entrance. A longer distance but by all accounts a much shorter travelling time. The road from Pandamatenga border post to the A8 is really rough and uncomfortable, especially the first section to the Robins Camp turnoff.

We arrived at Main Camp at 1:30pm after leaving the border post at 9:30am. After checking in we left for Ngweshla at 2:30 and got there at 4:30 with a couple of game viewing stops along the way. Nice drive and pretty good road conditions along that stretch.

Ngweshla is fantastic. Charles is the caretaker there and really looks after the picnic site and ablutions. What a nice guy! Very helpful and insisted on helping Pippa and I offload our tent and set up camp.

It was very hot with temperatures again in mid 30's but there is plenty of shade in the camp and we had a bit of a breeze which helped. Our sundowners were very welcome after another day on the road.

Name:	DSC_1422.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	512329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1427.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	512330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1429.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	512331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1435.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	512332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1438.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	512333  

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Davesg For This Useful Post:

Thanks fro the report, Dave. Stunning photography, as always.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thanks Ortelius. Less writing and more photos from now on if I can get away with it!

I don't think there is anyone that posts trip reports with the quality of photographs to outdo yours, thank you Dave.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I don't think there is anyone that posts trip reports with the quality of photographs to outdo yours, thank you Dave.

High praise indeed! Thank you Stan.

Our 5 nights at Ngweshla were fantastic. For those that might not know, it's a public picnic spot but allows exclusive camping for parties of up to 12 people (minimum of 6 or at least payment for minimum of 6). We didn't find the day trippers who stopped off there during the day a problem and in fact quite enjoyed chatting to them. Nice to have the site to ourselves from 6:00pm to 6:00am though. The site has a fence around it but has been badly neglected...a warthog could have stepped over it behind our tent. I enjoyed going to bed wondering what visitors might have a sniff around! In fact, on our first night there an Elephant came in and pushed a tree over a few meters from my brother's car (he and his wife were in a roof-top tent). They parked away from all trees the following 4 nights!

Without going into too much detail of our time there, we were lucky to have a couple of Lion close to the camp the whole time we were there. The females were feeding on a Buffalo kill near the Somalisa private camp (about 7kms from Ngweshla). Unfortunately too far off the track so we couldn't see them. According to Charles the 2 males have taken over the pride from Cecil (infamously killed a few years ago). I still don't understand why the males weren't feeding with the rest of the pride but on our last day there we followed their tracks back toward the females and found them next to a pan near Somalisa camp. I guess they would have re-united later that evening?

There are plenty of Elephant around Nqweshla and we also had nice sightings of Sable and Roan Antelope amongst various other more common inhabitants. Plenty of bird life in the area as well.

Name:	DSC_1485.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	512405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1507.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	512406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1519.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	512407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1540.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	512408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1545.jpg 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	512409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1581.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	512410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1656.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	512411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1671-Edit.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	617.1 KB 
ID:	512412  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1674.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	644.6 KB 
ID:	512413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1702.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	512414  

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Davesg For This Useful Post:

A few more photos from Ngweshla and surrounds. More of the report to follow tomorrow.

Name:	DSC_1727-Pano.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	512415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1747.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	512416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1765.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	512417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1776.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	512418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1779.jpg 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	512419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1804.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	512420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1829.jpg 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	512421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1842.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	865.2 KB 
ID:	512422  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1873.jpg 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	512423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1899.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	512424  

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Davesg For This Useful Post:

Absolutely stunning photos, Dave.
    Phil
    '10 Hilux D-4D AT - Land Cruiser Lite
    '14 Amarok 2.0 BiTdi 4M AT
    Summit Everest

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something - Plato

18. The Following User Says Thank You to philth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Absolutely stunning photos, Dave.
    Thank you philth.

Very nice Dave thanks

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon Venter For This Useful Post:

Dave in Rand Terms how much does it cost for 2 adults to camp at Ngweshla..my wife and I are planning a hwange trip as a 70th ..retirement combo trip to Hwange where we have never been to

Those Hwange Lions love that little hump near the water at Ngweshla.
    I have pictures of the Lion-Cecil's brother or coalition partner Lion-Jericho on that same spot.

Also would like to know how much per night for an exclusive site. In late 2016 it was $172.00 per night.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 2 SWB (Near Future)
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

24. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Nice thread Dave, and I agree with the rest; exceptional photos! Well done!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Dave in Rand Terms how much does it cost for 2 adults to camp at Ngweshla..my wife and I are planning a hwange trip as a 70th ..retirement combo trip to Hwange where we have never been to
    We paid $172/day for 6 pax Peter so no change from the figure stated by imgreg in his post. Suprising to see that there hasn't been an increase since 2016! When we paid the exchange rate was somewhere around R14/$.
    Last edited by Davesg; 2018/12/07 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    Those Hwange Lions love that little hump near the water at Ngweshla.
    I have pictures of the Lion-Cecil's brother or coalition partner Lion-Jericho on that same spot.

Also would like to know how much per night for an exclusive site. In late 2016 it was $172.00 per night.
    Nice vantage point there for the Lions imgreg!

The price we paid was also $172/night so no change in 2018.

Agree with the sentiments, excellent photographs... Thank you....
    2013 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4
    2015 Isuzu KB300

Johann

-----------------------------------------------------

Never test the depth of the water with both feet - W.E.Tnuts

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BroJ For This Useful Post:

Thanx Dave for the report and the lovely pic's which have taken me back to Ngweshla, one of my favourite campsits in Hwange.

Glad you decided to stay there for 5 days and I bet you would have liked to stay even longer.

The previous caretakers would use a bush brush and sweep a stretch of about 2m around the outside of the "Fort Knox" fence , so that one could cut spoor in the morning.

On one morning we found 3X lion spoor 2 males and a female on the southern boundary, when we did our inspection - and we did not hear them at all during the night.

Glad that you weren't disturbed too much by the day visitors whom we also found to be well behaved. Did the local Anti-poaching ranger and his side kick do their daily rounds? We did find them to be a disturbance as they would walk from their bush camp (some 3kms south) to Ngweshla camp to have a shower and chat with the caretaker. Their stroll across the Ngweshla pans area would disperse the game and then again, about two hours later when they returned to their lookout position.

Ngweshla never disappoints when it comes to game watching (without traveling too far). We have seen a lion - zebra kill (just behind the caretakers lodging), wild dogs take down a kudu cow and a lone female leopard take down a impala in 25m amongst many other interesting site.

Talking about Cecil we also encountered him one Thursday afternoon at 15h30 at Kennedy 1 pan where he had an interaction with a cheetah and her 3 adolescent cubs. He kept trying to catch them and they would play cat and mouse (or should it be cat and cat) after about 35minutes he backed off and fell over in exhaustion in the shade of a bush on the road. With the cheetah retreating to an ant mound in the dry river bed which leads to the Hide. This all where we were the only viewers. We were informed that they took down a impala some 30 minutes after we left.

Thanx for taking me back to those great memories.
    Last edited by TRON; 2018/12/07 at 02:48 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Sorry for intruding on your thread, I attach two photos of Cecil taken 20 April 2015 a few months before his killing.

Name:	DSC02431.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	512496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02421.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	512497  

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast