Recommended compact tyre pump that can be plugged into 4x4 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Recommended compact tyre pump that can be plugged into 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by dnk8n View Post
    Hi,

I am new to the world of 4x4ing.

I am due to drive from Cape Town to Mozambique. I need to be able to let the tyres down for sand riding and then to be able to pump it up again.

I am patient, if it takes 2min per tyre, I can live with that. Want something small but more importantly, robust.

I found this pump on Gumtree. Anyone know if it's rubbish or if it could do the job? Everything I see looks like knock off rubbish. Where are some good places to look? Happier to buy something decent but second hand if possible.

And on a similar note, any tyre repair kit and tool recommendations?

Thank you.
    I've got a spare ARB that I am willing to sell......
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    I might be keen...

Model? Price?

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    If SAND is not taking, then can I be 2nd in line.
    Model & price please

Midas currently has a special on 160l moto-quip compressors for R1459.00. I purchased one over the weekend.

I would never look at anything smaller than 160L. Tommorrow you go to 31" or 32" tyres and the poor thing starts suffering. Go to 33" or bigger and you are sitting a loooong time waiting for the tyre to get to a decent pressure. From a 245(29") to a 31" takes virtually 70% longer to inflate with the obvious heat issues with 4 wheels to inflate. And then I only inflate to 1.8bar on the 31s or 33s compared to 2.4 on the 245s. Mine had an overload box on the cable, that would often trip on the last wheel in high temperature environments. And Jakes is right, let the engine run, or you will be reaching for jumpers.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I have a 160 l/min compressor from Adendorff that works like a dream. It looks identical to the units sold at the "outdoor" type shops but costs a lot less. This is used in conjunction with my INDE-FLATE kit. Any compressor giving less than 160 l/min is a waste and will pack up quickly because it's been over worked. Rather buy the correct kit first time round as it will work out cheaper in the long run.
    https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...flating-tyres/
    http://www.indeflate.co.za/
    Agree!

Just keep your engine running!

I fitted a Quick Release Air Chuck for ease and speed.

https://www.4x4direct.co.za/tyre-car...air-chuck.html
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Sorry to hi-jack, but I think it is topic related.

I was always told not to pump tires or check pressure if tires are hot.
    What if you have to deflate the tires after traveling a few hundred kilometres on tar or good gravel and the tires are hot?
    Opposite also presents the same problem, does it not? Re-inflating tires when back on tar or good gravel roads.
    Don`t the tires get very hot when driving while deflated, especially on soft sand ( dunes / desert etc. )

It might be a stupid question, but I want to know what you do please.

Thank you

Pieter

I look at my tyres, when in doubt.

Well...

If you really have to then you can add 5psi to your prescribed pressure and deflate to just below that.

But that is just a reversal of another theory.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

"I was always told not to pump tires or check pressure if tires are hot."

Yes, to get the ideal pressure and equal results, only check when tires are cold.

But in the real world......... you drive off the beach, with hot deflated tyres, then one side sitting in the blazing sun and on hot tar getting hotter, other side in the shade cooling down. Are you going to wait, for them to get cool.

No. you pump the tyres to slightly higher than the cold recommendations and go.... at this stage your pressures on each tyre are very unequal, but you have no choice, unless you have temperature / pressure compensated sensors.

AND first opportunity you check when tyres are cold. And cold does not mean parked at home under the tree with one tyre sitting in the sun the other in the shade. Ideally all tyres in a garage- all tyres the same temp.

I have tyre pressure sensors with temperature reading, it blows my mind how much pressures and temperatures change, just by driving, each tire changes differently.. Just drive with one side in the sun and pressures changes hugely, on one side. Park the car half in sun and half in the shade and pressures change hugely, etc. drive on the white line on one side, pressures change, amazing.

Not to mention altitude. if I leave home by the coast in warm weather and tyres are 2.2, When I get to the top of Sani in freezing cold temps, my low pressure alarms drive me crazy- crazy enough to pull the power to the sensors.

back to compressors, bigger the better and don't use the cigarette plug point, clamps only.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/05/28 at 02:43 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I look at my tyres, when in doubt.
    With me it is more like when I look at my tyres, I start to doubt - should I inflate, should I deflate, or do I leave them as is?
    I have never been on ( or off ) a road where leaving them as is was a problem - with Sani Pass and a few gravel roads the most "off road" I've ever done.....
    Last edited by Pieter C; 2019/06/03 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Well...

If you really have to then you can add 5psi to your prescribed pressure and deflate to just below that.

But that is just a reversal of another theory.
    Yip, and I am sure there are about as many theories as there are off-roaders?

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post

"I was always told not to pump tires or check pressure if tires are hot."

Yes, to get the ideal pressure and equal results, only check when tires are cold.

But in the real world......... you drive off the beach, with hot deflated tyres, then one side sitting in the blazing sun and on hot tar getting hotter, other side in the shade cooling down. Are you going to wait, for them to get cool.

No. you pump the tyres to slightly higher than the cold recommendations and go.... at this stage your pressures on each tyre are very unequal, but you have no choice, unless you have temperature / pressure compensated sensors.

AND first opportunity you check when tyres are cold. And cold does not mean parked at home under the tree with one tyre sitting in the sun the other in the shade. Ideally all tyres in a garage- all tyres the same temp.

I have tyre pressure sensors with temperature reading, it blows my mind how much pressures and temperatures change, just by driving, each tire changes differently.. Just drive with one side in the sun and pressures changes hugely, on one side. Park the car half in sun and half in the shade and pressures change hugely, etc. drive on the white line on one side, pressures change, amazing.

Not to mention altitude. if I leave home by the coast in warm weather and tyres are 2.2, When I get to the top of Sani in freezing cold temps, my low pressure alarms drive me crazy- crazy enough to pull the power to the sensors.

back to compressors, bigger the better and don't use the cigarette plug point, clamps only.
    Exactly what I was wondering about, thanx.

So many variables that there is no easy “one size fits all answer”, I guess it comes with experience.
    For now I am thinking of a 160 l/min and a good tyre repair kit. If I can fix a puncture and have a spare for a real emergency I will feel more relaxed on our mostly on-road trips to neighbouring countries.
    For some ( most ) of you that might sound like an unnecessary waste of money, but what do you do if you get 2 flat tyres on a weekend somewhere? I will rather “have it and not need it than need it but not have it”

Pieter

Having had mine liberated while I was parked on the beach in Sodwana, I am in the market for a new one.

Have looked around a bit and quite like the look of this.
    https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ompressor.html

Take a look here: http://boatssa.com/
    bought mine from them, for quite a bit less than locally available
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2