Motorists vs Cyclists interesting court judgement

Default Motorists vs Cyclists interesting court judgement

This is interesting in terms of a judge's review of our obligations as motorists when encountering a cyclist on the road. I guess it's cold comfort to know that as a cyclist you have equal rights to a motor vehicle but the motorist is intent on breaking the law anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-41865-0-82062700-1543579607.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	512168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-41865-0-35423900-1543579598.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	512169  

Default Re: Motorists vs Cyclists interesting court judgement

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    This is interesting in terms of a judge's review of our obligations as motorists when encountering a cyclist on the road. I guess it's cold comfort to know that as a cyclist you have equal rights to a motor vehicle but the motorist is intent on breaking the law anyway.
    Yeah, saw that on Bikehub

The problem is making the public aware that they are liable for this kind of thing. Without that, nothing will change.

The full text of the judgement is here.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

A fair judgment. Sound and reasonable.

But the common law also says you are not allow to murder anyone. That does not mean I will walk through Alex on a Friday night.

Same rule applies here, I don't understand why cyclists are hell-bent on riding on certain roads. They are endangering themselves, no matter what the law says. I am a considerate driver and will always try to stick to the 1.5m rule. Many other drivers are down-right reckless.
    Last edited by Groenman; 2018/12/05 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Don't want to bash cyclists
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Ooh please don't let this degenerate into a cyclist bashing thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Ooh please don't let this degenerate into a cyclist bashing thread....
    OK, I edited my post and removed the part about cyclists in a bunch. Sorry.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

O well, then no story about them.
    Last edited by hcs; 2018/12/05 at 01:56 PM.
    Some car, some bike and two legs

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    A fair judgment. Sound and reasonable.

But the common law also says you are not allow to murder anyone. That does not mean I will walk through Alex on a Friday night.

Same rule applies here, I don't understand why cyclists are hell-bent on riding on certain roads. They are endangering themselves, no matter what the law says. I am a considerate driver and will always try to stick to the 1.5m rule. Many other drivers are down-right reckless.

Having said all this, there are few things in life that irks me like a bunch of cyclists driving in a bundle on a windy single lane road with no shoulder.
    You're sentiment is shared I'm both a motorist and cyclist. In general I am astounded by the lack of respect from both parties for the others rights and safety. I stopped riding a road bike almost a decade ago and I switched to a Mountain Bike, so I try to avoid roads as far as possible.

I stopped riding a bicycle the moment I could afford a car..................
    Johan De Graaf
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Biturbo 4x2 D/C
    2013 Range Rover e-vogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

Personally, as a cyclist, I hope that this will not be an excuse for some cyclists to become (more) arrogant than what they currently are. Lets hope they do not use this as an excuse to ride 2/3/4 abreast "to improve visibility" and when challeneged, argue they have just as much rights to be on the road. And yes, as a cyclist, this gets by blood boiling.
    Think responsibly and ride properly. Everyone happy
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

As a Think Bike Marshal I can attest to the fact that cyclists are hated by many road users. My personal opinion is that it is unfounded and that common courtesy on the road should be practiced by all road users.

The me, me, me attitude however is slowly taking over and all road users are becoming hated. Trucks, buses, taxi's, bikers, cyclists and of course the biggest road fatality the pedestrian. It degenerates further into BMW drivers, Fortuna drivers, 4x4 drivers, female drivers, drivers of a different skin colour.

I tried to change the World, I could not do it. So I tried to change a continent, I could not do it, I tried to change a country, I could not do it so I tried to change my family, I could not do it.

So I changed me.

Now people around me are changing too.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Damn motorists, they think the potholes are solely for them!

-F_D
    (T.I.C.)
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    As a Think Bike Marshal I can attest to the fact that cyclists are hated by many road users. My personal opinion is that it is unfounded and that common courtesy on the road should be practiced by all road users.

The me, me, me attitude however is slowly taking over and all road users are becoming hated. Trucks, buses, taxi's, bikers, cyclists and of course the biggest road fatality the pedestrian. It degenerates further into BMW drivers, Fortuna drivers, 4x4 drivers, female drivers, drivers of a different skin colour.

I tried to change the World, I could not do it. So I tried to change a continent, I could not do it, I tried to change a country, I could not do it so I tried to change my family, I could not do it.

So I changed me.

I am slowly but surely changing the mentality of those around me. Family and friends join me for a gentle ride in the 'hood and experience the impact of when cars drive to closely to us/them. That is a wakeup call and they realize why it is important to give a wide birth (sp).
    Then, when I drive and approach a fellow cyclist, I will wait for space and give more than ample space (+2m). It is funny to see how by doing just this, affects the people in the cars behind me, because they will do the same.

What I do as well as when a car passes me by giving me proper space, then I will make an effort to say thank you. People/drivers kinda like that. Slowly but surely the mentality changes.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

I seldom see a cyclist stop at a stop street.
    As a motorised road user my vehicle needs to have mirrors, indicators, and all sorts of other requirements. The vehicle as well as the operator even needs to be licenced.
    But a bicycle road user needs none of the above.
    Does not make sense.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    I am slowly but surely changing the mentality of those around me. Family and friends join me for a gentle ride in the 'hood and experience the impact of when cars drive to closely to us/them. That is a wakeup call and they realize why it is important to give a wide birth (sp).
    Then, when I drive and approach a fellow cyclist, I will wait for space and give more than ample space (+2m). It is funny to see how by doing just this, affects the people in the cars behind me, because they will do the same.

What I do as well as when a car passes me by giving me proper space, then I will make an effort to say thank you. People/drivers kinda like that. Slowly but surely the mentality changes.
    I am also a cyclist and a driver on our roads ....

It IRKS me to see the behaviour of a SMALL percentage of cyclists ....

The vast majority is out there trying to stay alive.

And YES - I have also slowed down and given cyclists more than enough room ... and the following cars followed suit .... So just maybe the solution starts with cyclists behaviour when they are in cars ... let's set the example, both on two wheels and in 4 wheels.

For safety sake the vast majority of my cycling is done on MTB trails ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

So I changed me.

This is one of the best posts ever!!!!!! I was thinking in the same vain but you expressed this unbelievably well.

SA's need to change their attitude, bottom line!
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2018/12/05 at 09:04 PM.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.