Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

Hi Everyone

I've gone through a bunch of historical forums but still cannot make up my mind on a plan for changing my 2016 GV Summit Tyres.

The two front tyres are completely finished, the rear two have a few more months or maybe a year left on them but wont last too long before they're in the same state.

The problem is the crappy 18" rim size (225 / 60 / R18) which significantly reduces the options, even when I consider bumping up to 235 in size. The options that do exist are crazy expensive. I do 90% road, 10% Gravel and Very rough tractor paths up mountain sides. No Serious 4x4-ing but I don't want to get stuck on a mountain side or on a waterlogged farm road. For simplicity sake, lets assume I'll replace all 5 tyres since bumping to 235s might force this eventuality anyway.

I'll show the numbers with Dunlop AT3 tyres. However, I could also look at Pirelli Scorpions for about the same price.

So, my dilemma is :

1. Spend about R3.1k per tyre, keep the 18" rims and hope I don't ever need to replace a tyre in the middle of nowhere. They look nice, and have so far served me well enough for my needs.

2. Spend about R1,5k per Tyre for 16" versions, and rather put the the balance into new 16" wheels. This would give all the benefits of running smaller rims and free up the current set to be sold privately. It would also open up a world of options for tyres, which is currently limited to only 2 decent considerations (AT3 and Scorpions). I think Errols website indicates OEM wheels would be about R1500 each

Thoughts on the above? If 2 is suggested, I'd appreciate some guidance in buying wheels. I've never ventured into that territory before.

Cape Town based

Default Re: Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

if you are not fussy about look find second hand rims/mags.
    old RAV,X Trail,Tucson,Sportage,some Jeeps,Terios........

this is for No:2
    Last edited by jadranko; 2018/12/05 at 02:11 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Buy the 16 inch rims. Better tyres for a cheaper price, and better pothole protection as well.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

16" is easier to get ,even a smallest town tire shop shall have stock.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Phone these guys in PTA North might be able to courier down to you, and you keep the Suzuki original.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk_Krüger For This Useful Post:

You can buy Apollo tyres in that sizes online at errols for R 1243 ea

My Experience is that the Pirelli's will not last. You would be better off keeping your current tyres! Mine never made 30k km. I know I have a V6, but I drive nicely, I promise.

I opted to keep the 18" as it was cheaper at the time to change 4 tyres only than changing 5 rims and tyres and I was short on cash. I went with the Yokohama Geolander GO15 AT and the cost was under R10k including alignment at SupaQuik. Also they come with a mileage warranty for what those are worth.
    My GV already had 235's fitted so it was simple to keep the one good tyre with plenty tread as a spare and replace the other 4.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

I also have to replace tyres fairly soon and is indecisive on the next set .... 16 or stay with the original 18's.
    Bought the Suzi with Dunlop 225/60 x 18 changed to 235/60 and currently back on Dunlop 225/60 x18
    This is mainly because the original spare wheel cover does not fit over the bigger 235/60 tyres
    I am again thinking along the 16" route but what do the guys with 16" rims do to cover up the spare wheel?
    BMW X5 3.0D - Platkar
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 auto
    Lift kit, Bash Plates, Recovery points, SAC - Stage 1

You can buy a nice canvas tyre cover from Escapegear for a few hundred bucks
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Quote Originally Posted by Leon57 View Post
    I also have to replace tyres fairly soon and is indecisive on the next set .... 16 or stay with the original 18's.
    Bought the Suzi with Dunlop 225/60 x 18 changed to 235/60 and currently back on Dunlop 225/60 x18
    This is mainly because the original spare wheel cover does not fit over the bigger 235/60 tyres
    I am again thinking along the 16" route but what do the guys with 16" rims do to cover up the spare wheel?
    My cover fitted. Don't know how they did it. Not sure that I want to know. Probably never get it back on if I ever use the spare.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

Question Re: Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

I still have my tires 225/60/18 and have done quite a bit of over landing. Had 16 incg jeep kj rims at a stage but they were warped. Anyway the Yokohamas are amazing tires, I have 25k on my set now and they still look new. I suppose you get what you pay for. I have the g055 models on
    Last edited by GKE; 2018/12/06 at 08:26 PM.

I would advise anybody to try get some 16" rims - there are so many more tyre choices and really reasonable prices. I am so glad it is one of the first things that I did with my GV and I have no regrets. The 16" tyres happily deflate and run at 0.9bar in the sand, they add some extra cushioning on rough roads, and just look great.

I have had Continental world contact 4x4 245/70R16s on for 5 years and 90 000kms. The only downside to this size tyre is that it lowered the revs a bit much and caused the Cruise control to hunt a lot more.

I have just changed to General Grabbers, and after waiting for stock got 235/70R16s from fundityres.co.za for R1477 each which is a great price. I am SO happy with these tyres - they are super quiet, very grippy and have been great in the wet too. I'll be interested to see how they last. They are very close to standard tyre circumference so hoping my cruise control behaves better now :-)

I found 6 Hyundai Tucson rims for a total of R2400 over time, so I have 2 spares. They are not particularly good looking, but they do what they are meant to and I am not too worried if they get scratched or banged when off-road. I have a canvas cover for the spare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181109_174821_resized_20181207_114254732.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	512489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171116_064452_resized_20181207_114522153.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	626.7 KB 
ID:	512490

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

16. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Just a quick update to close off this thread.

Since nobody had stock when I was originally looking, I delayed the purchase of new tyres for a few months.

Last week I got new quotes from GoodHope tyres in Woodstock and settled on the Dunlop Grantrek AT3 in 235/60/18. Price per tyre was just under R2.2k. They were the most affordable tyre with at least a little bit of off road aggression thrown in.

If I did more off road driving, I would have downgraded to 16" wheels. But finding wheels that I trusted (and could afford) proved to be more difficult than I'd like. I know it would have slashed the price of the tyres, and hugely increased the performance off road, but it's just not worth the extra time, effort and possibly cash to make it happen right now.

I've only done a few days of city driving on the new tekkies, but I'm enjoying them so far. No significant extra noise and the handling feels good on the road.

I'm also going to try rotate in the spare every 6 months with balancing and alignment. My old Dunlop Sport 01 spare was 100% brand new which seemed like a waste. So I decided to replace all 5 wheels with the AT3 and I'll sell my old spare privately.

Thanks for all the input

Quote Originally Posted by dylanharbour View Post
    Just a quick update to close off this thread.

Since nobody had stock when I was originally looking, I delayed the purchase of new tyres for a few months.

Last week I got new quotes from GoodHope tyres in Woodstock and settled on the Dunlop Grantrek AT3 in 235/60/18. Price per tyre was just under R2.2k. They were the most affordable tyre with at least a little bit of off road aggression thrown in.

If I did more off road driving, I would have downgraded to 16" wheels. But finding wheels that I trusted (and could afford) proved to be more difficult than I'd like. I know it would have slashed the price of the tyres, and hugely increased the performance off road, but it's just not worth the extra time, effort and possibly cash to make it happen right now.

I've only done a few days of city driving on the new tekkies, but I'm enjoying them so far. No significant extra noise and the handling feels good on the road.

I'm also going to try rotate in the spare every 6 months with balancing and alignment. My old Dunlop Sport 01 spare was 100% brand new which seemed like a waste. So I decided to replace all 5 wheels with the AT3 and I'll sell my old spare privately.

Thanks for all the input
    How did you find the balancing on them?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    How did you find the balancing on them?

My balancing and alignment were completely f'd. But it's been a while since that was seen to. Going forward, I'll be doing it more regularly.

My balancing and alignment were completely f'd. But it's been a while since that was seen to. Going forward, I'll be doing it more regularly.
    The reason why I ask is because I heard that the Dunlop AT3's are close to impossible to balance. Just wanted to hear your experience as I am doing some research.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    The reason why I ask is because I heard that the Dunlop AT3's are close to impossible to balance. Just wanted to hear your experience as I am doing some research.
    The tyre guy didn't complain. I should still have the print out of the results which I can post here if you like?

The tyre guy didn't complain. I should still have the print out of the results which I can post here if you like?
    I don't think there is a print out for balancing (fitting weights) Maybe post it, maybe it is some new tech.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    I would advise anybody to try get some 16" rims - there are so many more tyre choices and really reasonable prices. I am so glad it is one of the first things that I did with my GV and I have no regrets. The 16" tyres happily deflate and run at 0.9bar in the sand, they add some extra cushioning on rough roads, and just look great.

I have had Continental world contact 4x4 245/70R16s on for 5 years and 90 000kms. The only downside to this size tyre is that it lowered the revs a bit much and caused the Cruise control to hunt a lot more.

I have just changed to General Grabbers, and after waiting for stock got 235/70R16s from fundityres.co.za for R1477 each which is a great price. I am SO happy with these tyres - they are super quiet, very grippy and have been great in the wet too. I'll be interested to see how they last. They are very close to standard tyre circumference so hoping my cruise control behaves better now :-)

I found 6 Hyundai Tucson rims for a total of R2400 over time, so I have 2 spares. They are not particularly good looking, but they do what they are meant to and I am not too worried if they get scratched or banged when off-road. I have a canvas cover for the spare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181109_174821_resized_20181207_114254732.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	512489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171116_064452_resized_20181207_114522153.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	626.7 KB 
ID:	512490
    What suspension setup do you have if I may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MJk_suzuki View Post
    What suspension setup do you have if I may ask.
    I imported a complete Dobinson's coils and shocks kit for the GV from Australia. The cost was good and came to a total of R12k including courier costs. I was excited to run a suspension setup without the spacers in, as the Dobinson's coils give a natural 40mm lift. Unfortunately my experience with the shocks has not been good, and both the front and rear developed knocking noises after only 2 trips to the Kgalagadi and a total of 10 000kms.

I have kept the rear springs in and reverted to my KYB shocks with spacer kit - these have given excellent service - 90 000kms and 5 trips to the Kgalagadi without issues.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast