Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    I imported a complete Dobinson's coils and shocks kit for the GV from Australia. The cost was good and came to a total of R12k including courier costs. I was excited to run a suspension setup without the spacers in, as the Dobinson's coils give a natural 40mm lift. Unfortunately my experience with the shocks has not been good, and both the front and rear developed knocking noises after only 2 trips to the Kgalagadi and a total of 10 000kms.

I have kept the rear springs in and reverted to my KYB shocks with spacer kit - these have given excellent service - 90 000kms and 5 trips to the Kgalagadi without issues.
    When did you replace them to the KYB and what did you pay for the KYB? I am looking at the Koni heavy track or raid shocks as I can not get the Gabriel Safari shocks for the GV I am almost on 130 000km so need to start looking at price for when I get to 150 000km

this thread had me scratching my head.
    It made me go and check my vehicle

all are talking 18 inch to 16 inch

then why is my vehicle riding on 17 inch rims (and why is everybody ignoring this size?)

Quote Originally Posted by Maartendeneef View Post

then why is my vehicle riding on 17 inch rims (and why is everybody ignoring this size?)
    There's a lot of choices for the 17's. Go slightly bigger (around 1.8% or something) to 235/75/17. Options are GY, Dunlop, Grabbers, Dueler etc.
    Sent from my iPhone

To add to Rebel's comment, the Dune comes std with 17" as where the Summit has the 18". Although there are quite a selection tyres on the 17", the 16's just have so much more and much cheaper as well.
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ErichV View Post
    To add to Rebel's comment, the Dune comes std with 17" as where the Summit has the 18". Although there are quite a selection tyres on the 17", the 16's just have so much more and much cheaper as well.
    If I could have a choice I would also go 16" but can not find steel rim for the GV

As Erich said, there is more variety in 16" and they are generally cheaper than 17" and definitely cheaper than 18". The biggest factor is that the smaller your rim, the bigger the tyre sidewall you can have for the same diameter tyre. That gives you major advantages if you drive offroad a lot and deflate your tyres, keeping the rim further away from the ground, even when deflated.

If I could go 15" I would as that gives an even bigger sidewall and cheaper tyres - but the 15" rim will not fit over the brake calliper assembly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJk_suzuki View Post
    If I could have a choice I would also go 16" but can not find steel rim for the GV
    There are many mags that will fit the GV - Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, Renault Duster and some aftermarket items too. I believe the old Jeep Cherokee steel rims do fit the GV if you really want to go that way.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by MJk_suzuki View Post
    When did you replace them to the KYB and what did you pay for the KYB? I am looking at the Koni heavy track or raid shocks as I can not get the Gabriel Safari shocks for the GV I am almost on 130 000km so need to start looking at price for when I get to 150 000km
    The general consensus is that shocks are good for around 80000kms, anything over you are pushing time, and because of the gradual deterioration you don't really notice how bugged they are.

I have had the KYBs for 4 years and 60000kms, they were about R3000 for all if I remember correctly. I am going to post a list of compatible shocks in the GV repairs and mods section - this is off topic for this post.
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2019/05/11 at 03:17 PM.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Agreed, the shock life is only about 80k km max. You don't notice they are deteriorating until one day you have a flat wheel sensation then it's too late.

Hi all.

I have 18” mags went down to 16” rims. As the tire options are much better like everyone says.

I have 5 jeep steel rims 16” with spigot rings. “For sale”

I decided to go with Duster mags. “Like the look more”

At the moment I’m running 245/70R16. But will go down to 235/70R16 on my next set like @dave
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer244 View Post
    Hi all.

I have 18” mags went down to 16” rims. As the tire options are much better like everyone says.

I have 5 jeep steel rims 16” with spigot rings. “For sale”

I decided to go with Duster mags. “Like the look more”

At the moment I’m running 245/70R16. But will go down to 235/70R16 on my next set like @dave
    Daai rims lyk baie bekend...
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    Daai rims lyk baie bekend...
    Ja hul doen. Hul is te koop
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2