Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

Hi Everyone

I've gone through a bunch of historical forums but still cannot make up my mind on a plan for changing my 2016 GV Summit Tyres.

The two front tyres are completely finished, the rear two have a few more months or maybe a year left on them but wont last too long before they're in the same state.

The problem is the crappy 18" rim size (225 / 60 / R18) which significantly reduces the options, even when I consider bumping up to 235 in size. The options that do exist are crazy expensive. I do 90% road, 10% Gravel and Very rough tractor paths up mountain sides. No Serious 4x4-ing but I don't want to get stuck on a mountain side or on a waterlogged farm road. For simplicity sake, lets assume I'll replace all 5 tyres since bumping to 235s might force this eventuality anyway.

I'll show the numbers with Dunlop AT3 tyres. However, I could also look at Pirelli Scorpions for about the same price.

So, my dilemma is :

1. Spend about R3.1k per tyre, keep the 18" rims and hope I don't ever need to replace a tyre in the middle of nowhere. They look nice, and have so far served me well enough for my needs.

2. Spend about R1,5k per Tyre for 16" versions, and rather put the the balance into new 16" wheels. This would give all the benefits of running smaller rims and free up the current set to be sold privately. It would also open up a world of options for tyres, which is currently limited to only 2 decent considerations (AT3 and Scorpions). I think Errols website indicates OEM wheels would be about R1500 each

Thoughts on the above? If 2 is suggested, I'd appreciate some guidance in buying wheels. I've never ventured into that territory before.

Cape Town based

Default Re: Yet Another Grand Vitara 18" Tyre Discussion

if you are not fussy about look find second hand rims/mags.
    old RAV,X Trail,Tucson,Sportage,some Jeeps,Terios........

this is for No:2
    Last edited by jadranko; 2018/12/05 at 02:11 PM.

Buy the 16 inch rims. Better tyres for a cheaper price, and better pothole protection as well.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

16" is easier to get ,even a smallest town tire shop shall have stock.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Phone these guys in PTA North might be able to courier down to you, and you keep the Suzuki original.

You can buy Apollo tyres in that sizes online at errols for R 1243 ea

Hi all.

I have 18” mags went down to 16” rims. As the tire options are much better like everyone says.

I have 5 jeep steel rims 16” with spigot rings. “For sale”

I decided to go with Duster mags. “Like the look more”

At the moment I’m running 245/70R16. But will go down to 235/70R16 on my next set like @dave
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer244 View Post
    Hi all.

I have 18” mags went down to 16” rims. As the tire options are much better like everyone says.

I have 5 jeep steel rims 16” with spigot rings. “For sale”

I decided to go with Duster mags. “Like the look more”

At the moment I’m running 245/70R16. But will go down to 235/70R16 on my next set like @dave
    Daai rims lyk baie bekend...
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    Daai rims lyk baie bekend...
    Ja hul doen. Hul is te koop
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.