How much power do I need?

Default How much power do I need?

Can anyone point me to a load schedule which indicates various scenarios giving the power drawn by combinations of various domestic appliances such as large TV's, decoders, DVD players, convection/microwave oven and lights (down-lighters and standing lamps)?

I recall seeing such a schedule on a website some years ago and need to know how big I need to go for backup by way of inverter and batteries to power what I want to power during load shedding - advice on products/systems also very welcome.
    Last edited by royboy; 2018/12/05 at 08:20 AM.
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)

I try to be the person my dogs think I am....

Default Re: How much power do I need?

I reckon you should look at getting some independence from Eskom.
    Check out this publication: https://aeesolar.com/wp-content/uplo...ar-Catalog.pdf
    It's a bit intimidating but it is worth it.
    With that nuclear fission fireball in our sky pretty much every day you should incorporate it into your plans..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    I reckon you should look at getting some independence from Eskom.
    Check out this publication: https://aeesolar.com/wp-content/uplo...ar-Catalog.pdf
    It's a bit intimidating but it is worth it.
    With that nuclear fission fireball in our sky pretty much every day you should incorporate it into your plans..
    I must say, that is an excellent reference document, albeit not particularly relevant in many respects to our situation.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Try this spreadsheet from Sinetech. Looks like it has most common appliances www.sinetech.co.za/assets/img/solar/appliance.xls

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I must say, that is an excellent reference document, albeit not particularly relevant in many respects to our situation.
    I have visited RE shows and followed anyone with a power backup system that I knew of but I find often that the solution isn't thought through properly.
    So I think a good independent publication explaining the options is worth reading. (Do we even have a solar/RE publication in SA?)

Quote Originally Posted by royboy View Post
    Can anyone point me to a load schedule which indicates various scenarios giving the power drawn by combinations of various domestic appliances such as large TV's decoders, DVD players, convection/microwave oven and lights (down-lighters and standing lamps)?

I recall seeing such a schedule on a website some years ago and need to know how big I need to go for backup by way of inverter and batteries to power what I want to power during load shedding - advice on products/systems also very welcome.
    Some items can vary so much that it might be more accurate just to make up an inventory on a spreadsheet in watts and use a scenario to get the total load as well as the energy with the time each is used.

2012 Nissan Navara DC 2,5DCi 4x4 AT
    (SOLD) 2002 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    1982 BMW R100RT

I am always amazed at the figures provided in lists. Just 2 I see in the latest list - vacuum cleaner - 250W - it must be one that is 4 decades old. Current are easy 1500W. Top loader Samsung and LG washing wachines as low as 300-400W and only this high due to the constant start and stop every few seconds in the wash cycle. Even the spin does not use a lot of power. 3000W must be the older type that heats up cold water for washing.