Alternative baseload power - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Alternative baseload power

Been thinking on this one. This is a subject which I have ploughed a lot of money, time and sweat into over the last 15 years. Maybe it is time to resurrect two of the projects on a cooperation basis where fellow forumites pool their expertise, skills and equipment. Crowd sourcing can be used to cover the money side.

The first step would be to determine what the basic household will require as a baseload electrical power value.

I will create a new thread here with polling options you can choose from so that I can determine what will be a general requirement and how it can be scaled.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2018/12/13 at 02:42 PM.

Has anyone with bigger properties / estates looked at dry digestion of wood? Apparently the Swedish are very good at it, sounds like a good way to get rid of unwanted woody biomass.

There are quite a few companies promoting power production systems in the 5 to 20Kw range. Some have obvious flaws - like maintaining an engine, or high pressure boilers that need to be licensed and monitored, or trying to sell tech still in the research phase.
    1 thing I do like about the All power labs gasifier is if / when something wears out you can take the design to an engineering shop and get a new part made up.

There was a company in Joburg a couple of years ago producing gasifiers capable of running continuously.Unfortunately they went belly up

Steam could be an option, and there are a number of 1 to 50Kw steam engines available, but managing steam is a whole other issue. http://prestonservices.co.uk/categor...steam-engines/
    2008 UN type Patrol 3.0 diesel,

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Has anyone with bigger properties / estates looked at dry digestion of wood?
    Yes, we have and the maintenance and operational skills required are no longer available in SA. Sweden is real first world and still they have issues with this process. Secondly wood contains lignine which is (in layman's terms) a natural poison to bacteria and fungi, so biodegradation has a serious time constraint. So no, rather use pyrolysis as a process.
    Last edited by mygoggie; Yesterday at 09:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2