Barum Tyres

Thread: Barum Tyres

Default Barum Tyres

Anyone have experience with Barum Brilliantis tyres - 185/65/SR15 tyres? What do you think of them?

I've just been on a trip around the Western and Northern Cape, in my brand new Nissan NP200 bakkie. Maybe it was a mistake not taking the 4x4, but I was on a sales trip and the bakkie suited my needs the best.

After just over 2,000 kms coming into Loxton from Beaufort West the front driver's wheel tyre was damaged. As far as Northern Cape roads go this one was not too bad.

Rather than replace it with a different brand tyre at Carnarvon I had the repair place patch the tyre with a gater and put in an inner tube. I worked on the principle that if I had another flat it would get me to the next town, where I could get a replacement tyre.

As it turned out I never replaced it on the trip and took it in for an assessment on my return home. Also on the day after I returned home the front driver's side tyre had a puncture.

The outcome was that Barum do not guarantee their tyres and said it was my problem.

I can, reluctantly, accept the fact that I will have to replace the tyre at my cost, but I'm not sure that I want to continue using Barum's. I have no faith in these tyres at all:

1. One damaged tyre and one puncture with brand new tyres within 3,300 kms is not a good record.
    2. I avoided all dirt roads where possible, after this incident and will be very reluctant to travel any distance over dirt roads, with Barum tyres.
    3. How can one have faith in a tyre that the manufacturer is not prepared to guarantee.
    4. It strikes me that Barum is a budget tyre that Nissan puts on the bakkie to keep costs down.

Rather than buying another Barum tyre my inclination is to buy five new tyres, possibly Good Years, as they have always given me good service.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a tyre that will be suitable for tar and dirt roads?

Anyone else have bad experiences with Barum tyres?
    Last edited by MaxE; 2018/12/04 at 10:05 AM. Reason: more infor added

Default Re: Barum Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by MaxE View Post
    Anyone have experience with Barum Brilliantis tyres - 185/65/SR15 tyres? What do you think of them?

I've just been on a trip around the Western and Northern Cape, in my brand new Nissan NP200 bakkie. Maybe it was a mistake not taking the 4x4, but I was on a sales trip and the bakkie suited my needs the best.

After just over 2,000 kms coming into Loxton from Beaufort West the front driver's wheel tyre was damaged. As far as Northern Cape roads go this one was not too bad.

Rather than replace it with a different brand tyre at Carnarvon I had the repair place patch the tyre with a gater and put in an inner tube. I worked on the principle that if I had another flat it would get me to the next town, where I could get a replacement tyre.

As it turned out I never replaced it on the trip and took it in for an assessment on my return home. Also on the day after I returned home the front driver's side tyre had a puncture.

The outcome was that Barum do not guarantee their tyres and said it was my problem.

I can, reluctantly, accept the fact that I will have to replace the tyre at my cost, but I'm not sure that I want to continue using Barum's. I have no faith in these tyres at all:

1. One damaged tyre and one puncture with brand new tyres within 3,300 kms is not a good record.
    2. I avoided all dirt roads where possible, after this incident and will be very reluctant to travel any distance over dirt roads, wth Barum tyres.
    3. It strikes me that these are inferior tyres, when compared to other brands.
    4. How can one have faith in a tyre that the manufacturer is not prepared to guarantee.
    5. It strikes me that Barum is a budget tyre that Nissan puts on the bakkie to keep costs cowm

Rather than buying another Barum tyre my inclination is to buy five new tyres, possibly Good Years, as they have always given me good service.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a tyre that will be suitable for tar and dirt roads?

Anyone else have bad experiences with Barum tyres?

BTW I've had the same experience before with three Firestone Destination tyres, so I'm familiar with the drill - I eventually replaced those with Good Year Wranglers and never had another problem.

Hi MaxE,

I use to sell the Barum brand for many years as I was working at a Conti Partner and they were affiliated with Continental.(like you said it was the budget option)
    I also remembered that they were a very soft compound (similar to Continentals) especially the sidewalls but please remember this also has its positives with
    regards to comfort and road noise on vehicles.
    The thing is my FIL bought the np200 and had a blow out due to a pavement or a pothole and refused to replace with the Barum's as I explained that they are very soft,
    even though most normal passenger tyres don't handle any impacts very well.
    Also remember that the standard practice with regards to warranty claims that are being disputed by a customer must be handled by the related brands representative.(Continental in this case)
    I would also suggest to maybe look at commercial tyres, it will have a stronger sidewall but just remember the ride will be a bit harsher.(Continental Eco Contacts 8c we use to sell in you're size)
    Also maybe look at the Firestone as some of their passenger tyres are covered for road hazards(you pay % for the tread used principle).

I hope this info does help a bit.

Cheers

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:

HI There not good to hear

I consider myself a budget picker all round and tyres are no exception to me. as i dont do to much long trips.

I have also thought about barums before.

I think i put 2 of them on my uno 1nc from TWT but sold it some short time thereafter so cant really tell you experiance.

I know them to be long in the market now and should be fine as a budget tyre expecially 13 and 14inch tyre.

I would say if you have the cash buy the good years. How are they on price comparison and longivity?

Then you can just sell the barums for a lessor amount to recoup some cash.

There is always people looking to buy second hand good tyres as they cant afford new 1nc.

I do know there are good well established brands like conti, michellin, perrelli. I have little experiance here but i feel if you pay a high amount on tyres they must last.

Like i had dunlop and a buddy believes in dunlop but they finish fast.

I had a set about 97% thread second hand and 1 year daily driving about 15 to 20ks round trip and a few long trips of about 200-300ks round and they were 15-20% almost finish in the front the back was about 75-80% so no worries.
    My buddy bought new dunlopes and he doesnt even drive every day and his was about 40-50% in 1 years time.
    I cant believe a supposed good Tyre go finish so fast.

I have only heard good things about conti and mechellin when coming to longivity

JM2c

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rourke For This Useful Post:

Commercials in that size will be costly....very costly. No manufacturer is going to give you a warranty on a penetration of any kind. It's kinda like expecting Nissan to give you a warranty on a stone chipping the front window.

There is options though. At TWT (I think) and Bestdrive you can get insurance on Continental. You do pay for it though. There is the Firestone all road hazard guarantee. There is a third option but I need to tread lightly as i am not a commercial member, will pm you.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

I have Barums on my NP200 and canít complain although I mainly drive on tar. I am not so sure that they are softies as they are rated for use on commercial vehicles for load purposes. I also find them good in wet weather.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariuslg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mariuslg View Post
    I have Barums on my NP200 and canít complain although I mainly drive on tar. I am not so sure that they are softies as they are rated for use on commercial vehicles for load purposes. I also find them good in wet weather.

is the principal still softies are good for wet? and hard for dry weather?

then it means barum is softer compound

Right?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rourke For This Useful Post:

same here
    NP200 early first gens with them on. Bakkie now only sits with 75k on clock and the Barums are still more than half to go. They are crappy but work for what we require. Had to replace 2 tyres with falken ze912 and they are way better.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Can recommend the Firestone stealbelt radials for the small bakkies - had 2 bantams and the firestones performed best on them.
    Also lost 2x brand new continentals before switching, money down the drain...
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamakazi For This Useful Post: