Tyres and fuel consumption




Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Marlands
    Age
    30
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 4

    Default Tyres and fuel consumption

    Hey guys, I am a little confused and wanted to see if anyone here can shed some light on the situation.

    My van, 2011 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDI, was for the first year I owned it getting 8.5l/100km, I was happy with that consumption, but recently it has jumped to between 9.5-10l/100km, so I am getting like 100km less on a tank of fuel, the only things that have changed on the vehicle recently are I put new rims and tyres on, still standard sizes, 245/70-16, went from Bridestone Dueler 697 to Pirelli Scorpion AT+, and started using Engen diesel where I was using Sasol before, I have gone back to Sasol again, but still getting the poor fuel consumtion, can the rims and tyres really be causing this difference in fuel consumption? Despite remaining the same size and tyre type?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Following... my logic says if the diameter of rotation overall has not changed then no.

    But there will be someone on here who does know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 148

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Are the tyre pressures the same?
    I have noticed that a change of pressure makes a big difference in consumption.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

    2009 Hilux 3.0D4D D/C 4X4, Dual battery, ARB Bar, Winch, Home made rock-sliders, EFS Suspension, IPF Spots, Stofpad rear bumper.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Germany, Durban
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,448
    Thanked: 437

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Are the wheels and tyres the same weight? as before i mean.
    Last edited by douglash; 2018/12/04 at 08:31 AM.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Achilles XMT's in 265/60/18 [Imvubu]
    BFG KO2 265/65/18's For SALE with 75% tread.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    30,944
    Thanked: 6909

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    A 10% decline in range/increase in consumption isn't trivial.

    The only thing I can think of is if the rims are heavily offset and extend beyond the wheel arch thereby causing extra wind resistance.

    I think the real issue could be the more extensive use of the aircon during this extended heat wave, as well as the high ambient heat itself which makes combustion less efficient in a turbo diesel.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    703
    Thanked: 449

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    I'm assuming that you replaced the old tyres because they were worn down - if so, try to get a measurement of the circumference of the old tyres and compare it with the new ones.

    Remember, your odo is no more accurate than your speedo. If the new tyres have a significantly bigger circumference, due to more tread on the tyre, it can make a substantial difference. But, I would be surprised if it is 10%.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    259
    Thanked: 72

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    I can only speak from my own experience here, but when I fitted new Dueler D694 tyres to my Frontier in 2010, I saw the fuel consumption jump up quite a bit from when I had the older worn tyres on. The consumption gradually got better as the tyres wore down. I recently fitted new D697s to the Frontier, and have now seen the increase in consumption again. So don't underestimate the effect a few extra kilograms of rubber can make. The difference in weight between the old tyres and the new tyres was quite noticeable when I changed them.
    Last edited by Frontiersman; 2018/12/04 at 08:51 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 148

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A 10% decline in range/increase in consumption isn't trivial.

    The only thing I can think of is if the rims are heavily offset and extend beyond the wheel arch thereby causing extra wind resistance.

    I think the real issue could be the more extensive use of the aircon during this extended heat wave, as well as the high ambient heat itself which makes combustion less efficient in a turbo diesel.
    I know in my little work run-around the aircon plays havoc with consumption and power whereas with the 3.0 d4d Hilux I have never noticed a difference in either. Sure that will make a difference but probably to a much lesser extent?

    It would be interesting to see some real life tests in this regard.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

    2009 Hilux 3.0D4D D/C 4X4, Dual battery, ARB Bar, Winch, Home made rock-sliders, EFS Suspension, IPF Spots, Stofpad rear bumper.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,901
    Thanked: 1824

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Jup. Weight. On the treg, going from road to AT tyres, each tyre is about 2kg heavier iirc. Consumption increased by 1km/l. But I also went up 1.5 sizes
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Marlands
    Age
    30
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    Are the tyre pressures the same?
    I have noticed that a change of pressure makes a big difference in consumption.
    Tyre pressure is the same 2.5 bar

    Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Are the wheels and tyres the same weight? as before i mean.
    I cant check this, but I assume they are heavier as the load rating and speed index are quite a bit higher, suggesting a stronger heavier carcass

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A 10% decline in range/increase in consumption isn't trivial.

    The only thing I can think of is if the rims are heavily offset and extend beyond the wheel arch thereby causing extra wind resistance.

    I think the real issue could be the more extensive use of the aircon during this extended heat wave, as well as the high ambient heat itself which makes combustion less efficient in a turbo diesel.
    Offset is the same as before, I went from Mazda wheels to Ford wheels, sizes and offsets are the same

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    I'm assuming that you replaced the old tyres because they were worn down - if so, try to get a measurement of the circumference of the old tyres and compare it with the new ones.

    Remember, your odo is no more accurate than your speedo. If the new tyres have a significantly bigger circumference, due to more tread on the tyre, it can make a substantial difference. But, I would be surprised if it is 10%.
    Yes, replaced because the old tyres were shot, honestly did think it could make that big a difference, first bakkie I have owned, and tyre changes never affected the cars I have owned before

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Marlands
    Age
    30
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontiersman View Post
    I can only speak from my own experience here, but when I fitted new Dueler D694 tyres to my Frontier in 2010, I saw the fuel consumption jump up quite a bit from when I had the older worn tyres on. The consumption gradually got better as the tyres wore down. I recently fitted new D697s to the Frontier, and have now seen the increase in consumption again. So don't underestimate the effect a few extra kilograms of rubber can make. The difference in weight between the old tyres and the new tyres was quite noticeable when I changed them.
    Guess I will just have to wait and see, it does make sense I suppose, I had like 2mm tread left on the old tyres new tyres have like 11-12mm tread depth, time will tell....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    I know in my little work run-around the aircon plays havoc with consumption and power whereas with the 3.0 d4d Hilux I have never noticed a difference in either. Sure that will make a difference but probably to a much lesser extent?

    It would be interesting to see some real life tests in this regard.
    Aircon has never made a difference to my fuel consumption, nothing ever seemed to maje a difference, didnt matter if I had a heavy load, if it was town or highway driving, heavy or light traffic, cold or hot, aircon on or off, it always ranged between 8-8.5l/100km

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Jup. Weight. On the treg, going from road to AT tyres, each tyre is about 2kg heavier iirc. Consumption increased by 1km/l. But I also went up 1.5 sizes
    Makes sense going from road to A/T tyres, but I went from A/T to A/T

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    30,944
    Thanked: 6909

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    When was the last service done?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Marlands
    Age
    30
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Tyres and fuel consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    When was the last service done?
    3000km ago

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •