Deterrent for monkeys and baboons - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Deterrent for monkeys and baboons

We hear you,

some Vervets in the Pilansberg were causing chaos at a picnic stop raiding tables. swambo chased one that promptly put his little paw under his backside and threw his produce at her.

That was enough for me, the kettie came out of the car and sure enough, they knew what this was and kept their distance. I normally would not hurt a fly but when there is danger to the wife and family, the animal in me comes out. We had a family member bit by Marmoset once, at the hospital they insisted on rabies shots. this was not pleasant at all.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Make a smallish hole in some tomatoes and squeeze out some of the pulp. Then squirt a liberal amount of the hottest chili sauce you can find in each tomato (hotter than Tabasco) and squish it around a bit so the chili permeates the entire inside. Plug the hole with a piece of cucumber or celery but make sure there is no chili an the outside of the tomato. Leave the tomatoes right at your tent or caravan entrance; the monkeys/baboons will KNOW where not to pillage next time. Apparently it works brilliantly and the animals don't actually get harmed in the process, just a flaming tongue for a while and some ring sting.
    Yes, a version of this is what I use - I gently "spray" pepper spray onto fruit and leave it for the monkeys to understand where not to scavenge..
    red wine and nature are my hobbies

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralton For This Useful Post:

You have just given me an idea.

In my dog training days, we used that stuff you get from the chemist to stop kids biting their finger nails. No where is that banana
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Useless link if you are not a paid subscriber. Could you copy and paste the text?
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

My Uncle who was brought up in Hluhluwe on a farm told us a story of a troop of baboons that gave them endless problems. So they trapped one of them, painted it white and let it go back to the troop. The troop looked at this white looking animal, in a full canter coming towards them and they ran for the hills. Apparently the one that was painted struggled for a few days to get close enough for the troop to realize it was their lost companion. Doubt it would be worth the effort for the short time you are camping but thought you may enjoy the tale.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TarzanWelman For This Useful Post:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 770
Size:  317.4 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

In the last 3 years we visited 12 nature reserves/national parks. Locally and into the North of Botswana and Namibia. In all of these parks it was acceptable and promoted by the officials to make use of catapults on monkeys and baboons.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

The best way is to lock everything away, idiots with the "poor monkey" attitude have taught them they are superior in the pecking order by feeding them. For the record gratitude does not exist in monkey society and the top animals will always take food from the lower ranked animals, that is nature. By feeding a monkey/ baboon you are saying uncle to a monkey. Not me I was the one that had the great job of having to shoot people's mistakes, in the end that is all that works, you had to be clever as they would vanish if they saw an official vehicle or anything that looked like a uniform and rifles had to be disguised as telescopes or umbrellas. I wish I could train them to bite and destroy only the feeder's property but unfortunately not possible

Spiking food with ghost chili works well and they will think twice before eating that specific food or anything that smells like chili. A friend of mine was the conservation manager at one of the satellite parks around Kruger and I saw the results of their research.

Good luck trapping a monkey never mind a baboon they will rip you to shreds in the blink of an eye so don't try to resist or play Rambo, they will bite and attack you in the blink of an eye. If you can shoot a kettie it works well but you must know how to shoot not think you know how to shoot and then you need to be there when they attack They think twice to just go for a man but women and children are free game and as for baboon doon't even try and resist they are stronger than you by far.

Advice about leaving the tent open is not too bad as they will rip the window gauze in the blink of an eye and a lot of them know how to work a zipper in any case. Lock all food inside the trailer if you have one otherwise take it with you.

Next time you see some jerk feeding please thank him for the drama they create and that goes for all wild animals even the sparrows at the picnic spots and restaurants. Had to take out a few of them as well as not all people appreciate starlings and sparrows making a nuisance of themselves and crapping in the plates
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

mouse or rat traps, deters them from future visits.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    With the Silly Season around the corner, many of us will be camping in wilderness areas where the above primates flourish. And many of us will return with horror stories about destroyed tents, destroyed luggage, spoiled meals, etc. And I do not talk about the opportunistic raid on your picnic spread at Pafuri - I am talking about that complete and utter destruction of you tent/caravan by these marauders!
    So, how do one deter them? The plastic snake seems not to be an option. Standing guard with a water pistol (god forbid - a kettie!) is also out, since one want to be out there exploring the wilderness.
    So, with this in mind, over the weekend I saw at the security section of Chamberlains, a motion activated alarm which gives off a loud, shrill noise and a bright flashing light in a small, compact unit costing about R350. And it can be set to do this for as short as 30 seconds. OK, I can already see everybody jumping up and down about this disturbance in that particular environment.
    how about any creative person replacing that alarm sound with a sound byte of a leopard snarling? I will take 10 please!. Any comments?
    It is so sad that this happen and it is a reality we were burgled in the Kruger. I'm not sure if I may generalise but in most cases this started by feeding them. At a camp in Natal some 20 years ago a ranger once said to me "You feed them you kill them" These guys are professionals don't think you can put your stuff away and that will keep them out, they opened the cooler-boxes etc. Therefore I will certainly try your noise deterrent

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FredSmit For This Useful Post:

Monkeys and baboons are opportunists, you dont have to physical feed them to become a problem. But yes food should not be left outside for them to be able to see it or know where it is. They investigate everything and will found it if not properly secure. If they once found food in your tent, next time they will open the tent.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Monkeys and baboons are opportunists, you dont have to physical feed them to become a problem. But yes food should not be left outside for them to be able to see it or know where it is. They investigate everything and will found it if not properly secure. If they once found food in your tent, next time they will open the tent.

I agree with this. In my experience of troupes of baboons in some out of the way places, they will raid anything they can, regardless of whether they have been fed by humans or not.

There are villages where people don't have enough food for themselves, let alone any to feed to baboons. Yet they raid these locations and find ways to get into everything.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

I can think of nothing worse than an alarm going off. I’d go ballistic after traveling so far to get away from them. We have a simpler, tried and tested method. Get a nice picture of a leopard and print some on A3. Hang these with clothes pegs around your camp.

Keep moving them around. You’ll be amazed at how well they work, plus it’s entertaining watching the reactions

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    With the Silly Season around the corner, many of us will be camping in wilderness areas where the above primates flourish. And many of us will return with horror stories about destroyed tents, destroyed luggage, spoiled meals, etc. And I do not talk about the opportunistic raid on your picnic spread at Pafuri - I am talking about that complete and utter destruction of you tent/caravan by these marauders!
    So, how do one deter them? The plastic snake seems not to be an option. Standing guard with a water pistol (god forbid - a kettie!) is also out, since one want to be out there exploring the wilderness.
    So, with this in mind, over the weekend I saw at the security section of Chamberlains, a motion activated alarm which gives off a loud, shrill noise and a bright flashing light in a small, compact unit costing about R350. And it can be set to do this for as short as 30 seconds. OK, I can already see everybody jumping up and down about this disturbance in that particular environment.
    how about any creative person replacing that alarm sound with a sound byte of a leopard snarling? I will take 10 please!. Any comments?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooterboy For This Useful Post:

Post Re: Deterrent for monkeys and baboons

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    In the first two days of camping you plant food at someone's campsite far away from you, the monkeys/baboons will then return there for the next 2 weeks leaving your campsite alone.
    But seriously, your presence and absence of visible food is the only thing that really keeps them from visiting your campsite.
    The Purple Chameleon
    3.5 V6 CVT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2