Battery Reccomendations

Question Battery Reccomendations

Hi All,

I need a new starter battery in the fortuner and would like some recommendations. Drove 30 mins to the airport this am and after starting OK(sluggish) at home, turned off, said bye (60-90 secs) started again only the main battery was dead, would not swing the motor around. It has been sluggish but it just said howzit this am. Used the "winch override" to get going again.

The vehicle stands a lot, gets a good drive every 2nd week? but lives on two cteks during this time - a 0.8ah ctek on the 2nd battery and a 5ah ctek on the main.

In the last 4 years, I have been through 2 Varta batteries, silver top 1st and a blue top now. Looking for change... anyone have any recommendations for me? Sounds like it's a good idea to support one of the first national battery products but would like input

Thanks again in advance.
    - Kyle

2007 Fortuner D-4D 4x4
    Maniac Bullbar and bash plate, Front Removable Hitch, LAS Snorkel, Aftermarket Radio,Reverse Camera,Custom Lighting, Dual Battery,LR Tank,Woofer,OME, 40mm front spacers, Come Up DV9 Winch

Default Re: Battery Reccomendations

Your maintenance program for your batteries sounds good so why are they not lasting? Could they possibly be taking a bit of a hiding and discharged to below the recommended mark when you do camping trips?

The last time I replaced batteries was on the Hilux I had and had a Willard as the main and Varta as a 2nd. Once you have decided on a replacement and have some prices, phone Vonde in Maitland for a quote before you pull the trigger.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Your maintenance program for your batteries sounds good so why are they not lasting? Could they possibly be taking a bit of a hiding and discharged to below the recommended mark when you do camping trips?

The last time I replaced batteries was on the Hilux I had and had a Willard as the main and Varta as a 2nd. Once you have decided on a replacement and have some prices, phone Vonde in Maitland for a quote before you pull the trigger.
    >> [Some disclaimer as an afterthought, the previous Varta did not live on cteks, so I bought them to prevent a re-occurrence of a dead battery]

So after being dead at the airport, it was fine after work. That made me wonder Check the terminals - something I clearly have not done since it was installed by the supplier

The negative was loose... so I tighten it - nope as tight as it can go...
    So I remove the connection and take out a piece of plastic.... nope, still loose...

So Have I had a battery for 2 years that has had the wrong terminal on it? What do I do now...

Battery is a VARTA F16 as attached...

New terminal or new battery - it actually seems fine

Should do my homework before posting here
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yubbz; 2018/12/03 at 05:54 PM.
    - Kyle

2007 Fortuner D-4D 4x4
    Maniac Bullbar and bash plate, Front Removable Hitch, LAS Snorkel, Aftermarket Radio,Reverse Camera,Custom Lighting, Dual Battery,LR Tank,Woofer,OME, 40mm front spacers, Come Up DV9 Winch

Anyone know where I can get battery terminal shimms? (or have one made)

Like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6LP7VaHbz8
    - Kyle

2007 Fortuner D-4D 4x4

Would they not tighten enough if you take some meat off the inside of the clamps. Use a file or grinder.
    Last edited by Robbief; 2018/12/03 at 06:06 PM.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Most reputable Autoelecs can rebuild thw terminals of a battery
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 818 000 km

Take an angle grinder and grind a piece out for a tight fit or buy National Luna terminals. http://area4x4.com/en/battery-system...nnections.html

I had the same issue with a Varta in my Cruiser p/u but after removing the plastic spacers it had a tight fit.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2018/12/04 at 02:53 PM.

Definitely new terminals first as the problem may not sort itself out with a replacement battery. The battery could also still be rescued to some level as well...
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT
    Paj DiD SWB Auto
    E92 335i 430kw at the wheels!
    VW G6 GTi DSG

I had the same problem with my Varta. I bought some copper shim stock, cut it to size and wrapped it around the battery terminal. Been like that for five years now without giving me hassles.

Loosen the clamp.

Screw a small self tapper in between the clamp and the terminal. Tighten the clamp.

Hell its a battery clamp, not a bloody ICBM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post: