Advise

Thread: Advise

Default Advise

Hi gentleman.

Can someone please help me?

I have two 105A batteries built into my trailer. With the current loadshedding I am think of installing a Victron 800 w true sinewave inverter so that I can run three computers ( two x 27 inch imacís and one desktop windows pc) during loadshedding.

My question is:

1. Is the 800 w inverter big enough? and
    2. How long will I be able to run this three computers on the two batteries?

Thanks. Your advise will be appreciated.
    I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy!

Default Re: Advise

Hi
    Ek het so n victron 800w inverter in 12v, en ek loop n yskas met gemak met hom. Ek sal gaan vir die 1200w een of grooter. Ek martel hom behoorlik partykeer en hy vat dit met gemak...

1. Is the 800 w inverter big enough?

It should be. Most iMACs are 90W and the desktop won't be more than around 350W if it isn't running a heavy graphics card.

2. How long will I be able to run this three computers on the two batteries?

​Can't help there. Battery duty cycle, inverter losses, etc, too much for me. Maybe Fluffy can help here.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

This might not be the most constructive comment here but this highlights the advantages of laptop PCs.
    Laptop manufacturers have done a great job with their batteries that keep these devices running for many hours. Keeping a desktop PC running with an inverter and bank of batteries is way less efficient!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

My Dell quad chip desktop with 2 monitors use 180W. Add the 180W as Jelo indicates=360W This gives 30Ah per hour. Loadshed of 2 hours is 60Ah of available 210Ah(max capacity). If it is start batteries this look like giving them a too hard time and life will suffer. Deep cycle would be fine if they are charged after the 2 hour loadshed provided there is not 2 x loadshed cycles on the same day.

Losses should be less than 12% at a 360W load on a 800W inverter.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2018/12/04 at 01:36 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    My Dell quad chip desktop with 2 monitors use 180W. Add the 180W as Jelo indicates=360W This gives 30Ah per hour. Loadshed of 2 hours is 60Ah of available 210Ah(max capacity). If it is start batteries this look like giving them a too hard time and life will suffer. Deep cycle would be fine if they are charged after the 2 hour loadshed provided there is not 2 x loadshed cycles on the same day.

Losses should be less than 12% at a 360W load on a 800W inverter.
    Thanks. I spoke to someone else yesterday who suggests I must allow 300-350 watt per computer. Thus rather buying a 1200 w Victron. Your thoughts?
    I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by jccrafford View Post
    Thanks. I spoke to someone else yesterday who suggests I must allow 300-350 watt per computer. Thus rather buying a 1200 w Victron. Your thoughts?
    No harm in going for a bigger unit but a lot of times advice is based on maximum rating and then in use far less power is used. My desktop has a 400W power supply but only uses 150W. I added 30W above for losses. 3 of my laptops have 90 and 120W adaptors and use 30 to 50W from the 12V.
    The very big plus of a 1000W and up inverter is that it would start a home type fridge while 800W might depending on the overload short time rating and varies from make to make.

Lots of good advice.

You probably will not draw more than 350 watts power which is about 28 amp/hour at 12.5volts

Ideally your draw rate should not be more than 10% of the battery reserve, if you want to prolong its life and get the most out of it.
    So 28 amps draw - i would ideally design around 3 batteries, but it is not a perfect world.

2 hours will deplete your 200 amp reserve by 56 amps ( 30% ) which is acceptable for a battery generally.

I run a 1000 watt pure sine, which powers two computers (one simple for SWAMBO and one with all the bells for ME ) and the max draw I measured is 275 watts, so it is a bit of overkill

Is it an inverter/charger? Most of these charge at 8-10 amps which means you need 8 hours solid charging after a two hour stint. (Allowing for efficiency of unit.)
    If we go into stage 3 you might not get enough time between outages to fully recharge.

BTW - Small UPS's are useless in loadshedding, they recharge too slowly to get the battery fully charged and you end up on a downhill slope
    Pajero Sport 2013 3.2 A/T