Best driving method in Kgalagadi dunes with Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 AT - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Best driving method in Kgalagadi dunes with Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 AT

Quote Originally Posted by ismail View Post
    Grips on comparison with your 76 how low do you go when the cruiser is loaded, lowest i went with mine loaded is 1.2/1.1 bar in thick sand, im just cautious the cruiser is heavy (3ton loaded) can i drop more, tyres is bfg muds

but with my hilux empty i run at 0.6 with no worries, but then again half as light.
    Ismail on the River Trip I ran 0.9 on the 79 with a considerable load. Flipside here on the forum can vouch for that. He was with me deflating and aired up after the trip. I usually deflate one tyre till I am satisfied with the tyre profile, I then measure the pressure and duplicate the rest.
    When we run the West Coast trip last year that included the Namaqua West Coast park I went as down as low as 0.8 with the 76 in the difficult sandy sections. Near Groenrivier down at one of the little beaches with sugar sand I went down to 0.6 and aired up to 0.9 on the harder sections.

If I play really hard depending on sidewall stiffness I have gone down as low as 0.4 when doing short runs up hardegat dunes.

The moment I feel I need to push a little harder than a relaxed drive in sand I will not think twice to stop and check pressures and drop a little lower if necessary.

This is my way of doing it. Also need to take into account the tyre brand. The 35`s of the Yank Ranger are around 1.4 to 1.5 for gravel travel. I do 1.6 on the Cruiser unloaded on gravel with the BF`s.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Best driving method in Kgalagadi dunes with Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 AT

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Ismail on the River Trip I ran 0.9 on the 79 with a considerable load. Flipside here on the forum can vouch for that. He was with me deflating and aired up after the trip. I usually deflate one tyre till I am satisfied with the tyre profile, I then measure the pressure and duplicate the rest.
    When we run the West Coast trip last year that included the Namaqua West Coast park I went as down as low as 0.8 with the 76 in the difficult sandy sections. Near Groenrivier down at one of the little beaches with sugar sand I went down to 0.6 and aired up to 0.9 on the harder sections.

If I play really hard depending on sidewall stiffness I have gone down as low as 0.4 when doing short runs up hardegat dunes.

The moment I feel I need to push a little harder than a relaxed drive in sand I will not think twice to stop and check pressures and drop a little lower if necessary.

This is my way of doing it. Also need to take into account the tyre brand. The 35`s of the Yank Ranger are around 1.4 to 1.5 for gravel travel. I do 1.6 on the Cruiser unloaded on gravel with the BF`s.
    Thank you very insightful, I know that difficult section on the west coast with 0.6 bar you drove, that sand had me too, with the 1hz,
    Then again with the 2.7 hilux it just revved through effortlessy at 1.2 bar @2500rpm, but then again 1hz dont do well in thick soft sand like a revvy petrol bakkie
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4