Plug n Play UPS/Inverter/power supply boxes - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Plug n Play UPS/Inverter/power supply boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Having read all these posts it doesn't quite sound like Plug n Play.
    Here's my UPS offering that is really Plug n Play.
    This is a low voltage UPS that will keep your broadband internet access (fibre/ADSL) running for the whole day.
    There's no pure or modified sine wave inverter involved!
    Presently if you have a fibre or ADSL internet connection this will die when the power fails.
    Yes, you can install an inverter UPS to power the routers but these devices are very inefficient by comparison and the backup time is way less.
    If interested I need to know which router & Wi-Fi you are using..
    Fine if you only want internet access I suppose, null and void if you have to power laptops and printers too. Or a TV

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    It's less than a single medium capacity 18650 cell?

Edit, they are probably both incorrect because I checked now and the Wh does match the mAh, an 1850mAh battery is tiny. If that is the case then it's not great value.
    Very common technique in these type of devices.. Several 18650 cells at low voltage ( eg 4 x 2800mAH @ 3.7V?) transformed by internal DC-DC converter to lower current higher voltage, in this case 12V @1859mAH. The capacity in Watt Hours remains the same.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Nice analogy! Many thanks.

Do these UPS/Inverter/power supply boxes have low battery protection build in? Will they cut out at around 12v or will they completely drain a battery?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Do these UPS/Inverter/power supply boxes have low battery protection build in? Will they cut out at around 12v or will they completely drain a battery?
    Yes they do. It's essential that a lead acid battery isn't discharged lower than 10V (citation needed!)since it will permanently damage the battery.
    If you look on the specs of the battery you will see the trade off of no. of charge/discharge cycles vs low voltage cutout value.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Fine if you only want internet access I suppose, null and void if you have to power laptops and printers too. Or a TV
    One thing I have learned in surviving power outages is that you can either install a monster UPS/generator or you can look at better efficiencies.
    I see more opportunity in the latter: e.g. instead of using a desktop PC powered by an inverter rather use a laptop running on it's own battery.
    Also don't use mains voltage devices if there is a low voltage (DC) option..

Yes they do. It's essential that a lead acid battery isn't discharged lower than 10V (citation needed!)since it will permanently damage the battery.
    If you look on the specs of the battery you will see the trade off of no. of charge/discharge cycles vs low voltage cutout value.
    Going down to 10v will kill a battery quickly! 12v is about 50%, anything lower and you're severely shortening the battery life and dramatically increasing the charge time. (Lead-acid deep cycle batteries)

Is there a preset cut off voltage or is it user adjustable?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Very common technique in these type of devices.. Several 18650 cells at low voltage ( eg 4 x 2800mAH @ 3.7V?) transformed by internal DC-DC converter to lower current higher voltage, in this case 12V @1859mAH. The capacity in Watt Hours remains the same.
    Ok, I'm used to Li-ion batteries being rated at their base unboosted voltage, still the battery is tiny, can only be 2 x 18650 cells at 22Wh.

One thing I have learned in surviving power outages is that you can either install a monster UPS/generator or you can look at better efficiencies.
    I see more opportunity in the latter: e.g. instead of using a desktop PC powered by an inverter rather use a laptop running on it's own battery.
    Also don't use mains voltage devices if there is a low voltage (DC) option..
    When converting a home to renewable energy, it is usually far cheaper to reduce your energy consumption than meet your energy consumption with renewable energy.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Ok, I'm used to Li-ion batteries being rated at their base unboosted voltage, still the battery is tiny, can only be 2 x 18650 cells at 22Wh.
    Batteries yes, but not battery power packs. That's why I move away from Volts and Amps and switch to Watts ASAP when talking capacity and energy consumption/generation. Its the only unambiguous terminology.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4