Vehicle not started in 4 months - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Vehicle not started in 4 months

A least it's not a nissan Tiida, neighbor has one, let the battery go flat or change it and the computer locks out, has to be towed into dealer to have idle and keys memories reset. It'll just swing and not start

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    A least it's not a nissan Tiida, neighbor has one, let the battery go flat or change it and the computer locks out, has to be towed into dealer to have idle and keys memories reset. It'll just swing and not start
    Thats the "modern way" with all the electronics in the cars. I hate it with a passion.

I would not be worrying about this, just check oil, water, battery, fill up with some petrol, and start the thing. Get it out on a run. Would be a bonus if you could watch/see the oil pressure. When you get home, go back after a few minutes and check for oil and water leaks. Oil seals sometimes go brittle and start leaking, especially those crank seals. I see mine has started a leak while just standing, as has my front diff birfield balls.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

While you are at it, I would also check the levels of Halogen in the headlights. With the battery flat it could easily drain them. As a favour I could do it for you. Only charge R425 per light. Could also put 78% nitrogen in the tyres for you at R17.60 per wheel.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    While you are at it, I would also check the levels of Halogen in the headlights. With the battery flat it could easily drain them. As a favour I could do it for you. Only charge R425 per light. Could also put 78% nitrogen in the tyres for you at R17.60 per wheel.
    this is a joke right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamalive View Post
    this is a joke right ?
    ja he's pulling your leg
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

No manufacturer would recommend simply starting the engine.

As a minimum they would recommend certain "checks" and pre-lubricating "something", but its up to the owner to evaluate the labour/time/effort versus risk. The "risk" here would be the wear to bearings, cams and cylinders. Depending on ones perspective the wear may be negligible, to others it may be significant.

I'm sure no one would recommend assembling an engine and starting it without pre-lubricating "something", just because the engines starts and runs fine doesn't mean all was dandy.

If this were a R500k engine very few would be saying "just start it". One mans R500k is another ones R20k.

As a minimum I'd check the oil and water level, remove the spark plugs, put a few mils of oil down each cylinder, remove the tappet cover and apply oil to each of the cam lobes and followers, crank the engine a few seconds to confirm oil is being pumped to the cam, re-install tappet cover, spark plugs and start the engine.

It may seem like a lot of effort but in reality should take less than 10min.

Just turning the engine on the starter will get oil everywhere within seconds. I'm very hesitant to advise people to dump oil into the cylinders, as getting it wrong can can put you into hydro lock, and even more so on a diesel engine. You also need to specify that the engine should only be turned by hand, before going over to the starter.

We actually need to be very careful with regards the advice we give out here, and how people may interpret it based on the knowledge we think they have.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    What about the tires though ?
    Yesterday at the Audi garage the salesman mentioned that they have to inflate tires to 3.5 when storing for longer periods.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    Yesterday at the Audi garage the salesman mentioned that they have to inflate tires to 3.5 when storing for longer periods.
    And that might be past some tyre's max inflation pressure. Check the sidewall before doing that.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi Q5 - 2009 - 3l TDI Qauttro
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - 150k km - for sale
    Audi A5 - 2l TSI - 2010 - 2 door 229k km - for sale

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    Our Tiida stands at our flat in Pretoeia. Battery goes flat regularly. A jumper cable and one turnover of the engine and iot starts.

No Lock out
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Jeez. The car has been standing for 4 months. Not 4 years !! Check levels, chuck in petrol and be on your way.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nisjeep For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2