NL 90L No freezer

Default NL 90L - Fridge yay, Freezer nay

So I went camping this weekend. As usual, the day before our trip I connected the unit to 220 mains to get everything nice and cold before connecting to our aux battery in the back of the Patrol.

What was strange was that it took the freezer (half full with deep frozen items from our deep freeze) more than 10 hours to get to -10. Didnt think too much of it although that was a lot slower than usual. Usually less than an hour with already frozen items in.

Then we left. Arrived at camp where it was 35 degrees and the freezer had dropped to +2 during our drive although it was set to -12. But the unit was in the shade. I opened the freezer for all of 5 seconds and removed the evenings meat. Over the next 5 hours from 15:00-20:00 the freezer went to +8 while reconnected to mains 220 and on turbo. When I went to bed at 22:00 the freezer was at +7. When I woke at 6:00 it was at -6. Never opened the freezer and by 10:00 it was at +8 again and +10 by lunch.

ALL THE WHILE the fridge side remained between +2 and +6 (set at +2) day and night and had constant frost on the wall it shares with the freezer.

Whats going on?
    Last edited by Africa_Trekker; 2018/12/02 at 10:43 PM.
    2006 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX (OME, ARB, Freeflow Exhaust)
    2006 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D (4x4, OME, ONCA)
    2011 LWB 2.0Tdi Kombi - (Sold)

Default Re: NL 90L No freezer

Check the interior cooling fan on the evaporator.
    Imo if the freezer goes down to -6 when the ambient temp is low and goes up when warm it is a sign that evaporator is not being cooled down.
    To replace is easy peezy .

Took it in to Bushwhackers this morning. They have no idea whats wrong. They even said it may have just been too hot...as if its normal in hot temps. How do your fridge/freezers cope in hot temps?
    Last edited by Africa_Trekker; 2018/12/03 at 09:01 PM.

It just runs longer or continues, but maintains its temps.

Regoor daai uphostery plek in Bohr Str is n aircom plek, hulle het laas my NL nagegaan.
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/12/03 at 09:09 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Default Re: NL 90L - Fridge yay, Freezer nay

Quote Originally Posted by Africa_Trekker View Post
    So I went camping this weekend. As usual, the day before our trip I connected the unit to 220 mains to get everything nice and cold before connecting to our aux battery in the back of the Patrol.

What was strange was that it took the freezer (half full with deep frozen items from our deep freeze) more than 10 hours to get to -10. Didnt think too much of it although that was a lot slower than usual. Usually less than an hour with already frozen items in.

Then we left. Arrived at camp where it was 35 degrees and the freezer had dropped to +2 during our drive although it was set to -12. But the unit was in the shade. I opened the freezer for all of 5 seconds and removed the evenings meat. Over the next 5 hours from 15:00-20:00 the freezer went to +8 while reconnected to mains 220 and on turbo. When I went to bed at 22:00 the freezer was at +7. When I woke at 6:00 it was at -6. Never opened the freezer and by 10:00 it was at +8 again and +10 by lunch.

ALL THE WHILE the fridge side remained between +2 and +6 (set at +2) day and night and had constant frost on the wall it shares with the freezer.

Whats going on?

it is unlikely that you will get this temperature fluctuation in just a few hours. It sounds like the temperature probe / sensor is faulty.
    It is cheap and easy to replace. I have the 90L double door unit and have replaced both sensors. Get them direct from NL

Our 90l NL suddenly stopped working a couple of weeks ago. This is a fridge which gets used 24 seven in the house as a bar fridge when not camping.
    It Just stop cooling, only a small portion of the fridge side got cool to the touch. We took it in to NL, they came back saying some or other filter was blocked. R600, a new filter and re-gas later and it is running like clockwork again.

The fridge is just over five years old and spent most of its life in the house on 220V, I donít know what caused this filter to block weather it was dust or something, but itís slightly concerning since this could be a showstopper if it happens on a trip.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Our 90l NL suddenly stopped working a couple of weeks ago. This is a fridge which gets used 24 seven in the house as a bar fridge when not camping.
    It Just stop cooling, only a small portion of the fridge side got cool to the touch. We took it in to NL, they came back saying some or other filter was blocked. R600, a new filter and re-gas later and it is running like clockwork again.

The fridge is just over five years old and spent most of its life in the house on 220V, I donít know what caused this filter to block weather it was dust or something, but itís slightly concerning since this could be a showstopper if it happens on a trip.
    Update:

Spoke to Bushwhackers, local National Luna distributor and certified repairers. They replaced the probes today as well as the thermostat with no change!

They have now decided to ship it to SA. From the experience of good friends this means 2-3 months without a fridge! Catastrophic this time of year just as it was on our trip this weekend. Mine is only 30 months old so definitely very concerning.

Ive been hearing of NL failures more frequently in recent times...hope they can do a solid job of repairing the fridge under warranty.