Discovery 3 Disco 3 bongs _ I need help





Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    So.... Let me start at the beginning.
    2006 Disco3 TDV6SE.
    I had a problem with a leaking airbag which caused my air compressor to fail. I have since replaced the faulty shock, air compressor and had to replace the CV boots on the front right as there was a broken boot.

    Since these problems were sorted I thought I was out of the woods. But upon startup, I have noticed a new error. I get...
    HDC fault
    Park brake fault
    Car remains in access height
    ABS fault
    No Speedometer

    I have replaced the brake switch - no difference. I then bought one of those universal OBDII Bluetooth diagnostic devices which gave a fault code for rear speed sensors.
    I have since replaced these sensors but the Disco remains with the same faults.
    I am at the moment clueless to what is causing the problem. The car drives fine except for it being in access mode which makes the suspension act like a lowered car and no ABS which can be dangerous.

    The other problem is Im on the west coast (Saldanha) and dont know of any Land Rover mechanics around here. I cant just keep buying parts and it doesnt fix the problems, it can become a very expensive exercise. I would love to go offroad this December holidays but it seems I will be stuck on the tar roads till further notice....... So sad.


    Is there anyone out there that can guide me in the right direction or point me to a mechanic other than JLR. Closer to the west coast would be well appreciated.
    Thanx for any help...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    46
    Posts
    447
    Thanked: 44

    Default Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Best is to have the Disco scanned again, maybe the universal scanner has missed something?
    Are all sensors plugged back in, abs, height sensor . .
    Your nearest would maybe be around Milnerton / Montague Gardens as youíre situated, some very good indies out here . . .
    I would start by giving that battery a decent charge whilst youíre at it.


    Regards
    JC
    Last edited by JacquesC; 2018/12/02 at 11:52 AM.
    2009 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE (his)
    Izmir Blue

    2012 Audi S3 (hers)
    Brilliant Red

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    47
    Posts
    997
    Thanked: 468

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Iím going to hazard a guess and say you probably damaged an Abs sensor whilst replacing the shock.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeBob For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesC View Post
    Best is to have the Disco scanned.
    Where in CPT as you situated, some very good indies out here . . .
    I would start by giving that battery a decent charge whilst she is down.

    Do you recall whomever did the repairs, if any fault codes were cleared?

    Regards
    JC
    Hey JacquesC

    I replaced the parts myself, the fault codes showed rear speed sensor, I replaced both. Im staying in Saldanha, about 150km from Capetown.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Amanzimtoti
    Age
    67
    Posts
    412
    Thanked: 149

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Long shot, but maybe worth a try......do a ďhard resetĒ of ecuís by disconnecting both battery terminals and connect positive lead to negative lead...

    LEADS NOT BATTERY TERMINALS !!...keep leads well away from terminals else you will fry the ecuís

    All the best.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    89
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Hi, can you hear the new air compressor running if you start the vehicle? If not, replace the relay R7 inside the fusebox next to the battery. Hopefully, the compressor will start running and suspension will raise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3621.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	511809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3620.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	511810

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrepb View Post
    Long shot, but maybe worth a try......do a ďhard resetĒ of ecuís by disconnecting both battery terminals and connect positive lead to negative lead...

    LEADS NOT BATTERY TERMINALS !!...keep leads well away from terminals else you will fry the ecuís

    All the best.
    HI
    I have performed a hard reset a few times , no difference.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by hofnis View Post
    Hi, can you hear the new air compressor running if you start the vehicle? If not, replace the relay R7 inside the fusebox next to the battery. Hopefully, the compressor will start running and suspension will raise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3621.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	511809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3620.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	511810
    All I hear is the Disco 'fart' , it will not allow the car to lift

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    89
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Remove the plastic cover over the compressor and feel with your hands if the compressor is running just after you started the car. Also make sure you have a fully charged battery that is in good working condition?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,040
    Thanked: 10121

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Disco 3 bongs: I had visions of uncontrolled "personal use" inside a D3.............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by hofnis View Post
    Remove the plastic cover over the compressor and feel with your hands if the compressor is running just after you started the car. Also make sure you have a fully charged battery that is in good working condition?
    I removed the cover, the compressor is definitely running. The battery seems ok.
    I decided to check the brake switch again, only to find that the middle top brake light is the only one that is working,Both brake lights left and right are not working (the brake switch was replaced).

    While I was on the way to the local Motolek store to order another brake light switch, The Landy decides to throw a transmission fault as well.

    Im at a loss for words.
    what next...

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,766
    Thanked: 1897

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco3Newbie View Post
    I removed the cover, the compressor is definitely running. The battery seems ok.
    I decided to check the brake switch again, only to find that the middle top brake light is the only one that is working,Both brake lights left and right are not working (the brake switch was replaced).

    While I was on the way to the local Motolek store to order another brake light switch, The Landy decides to throw a transmission fault as well.

    Im at a loss for words.
    what next...
    Crank?
    Compressor?
    Control arms & bushes?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,040
    Thanked: 10121

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco3Newbie View Post
    what next...
    next is you come to your senses and sell it
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,040
    Thanked: 10121

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Crank?
    Compressor?
    Control arms & bushes?
    he did the compressor

    and stop, you'll make him cranky
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mtunzini
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco3Newbie View Post
    I removed the cover, the compressor is definitely running. The battery seems ok.
    I decided to check the brake switch again, only to find that the middle top brake light is the only one that is working,Both brake lights left and right are not working (the brake switch was replaced).

    While I was on the way to the local Motolek store to order another brake light switch, The Landy decides to throw a transmission fault as well.

    Im at a loss for words.
    what next...
    Check the brake light bulbs themselves.....need to be genuine Land Rover bulbs, any other bulbs have been known to throw all sorts of fault codes out

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to KZN For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanked: 230

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Replace the brake lights with Phillips or same quality.Most modern cars use brake lights in selfcheck,and that is why if faulty it throws a tantrum
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    So it seems that when I was trying to figure out why my brake lights were not working, I pressed the pedal too much and now my brake pedal is rock hard and I can feel the brakes still holding whilst driving car moves very slugishly, when I got home this morning from dropping the kid at school could definitely smell it. Did I break the master cylinder?

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,040
    Thanked: 10121

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco3Newbie View Post
    So it seems that when I was trying to figure out why my brake lights were not working, I pressed the pedal too much and now my brake pedal is rock hard and I can feel the brakes still holding whilst driving car moves very slugishly, when I got home this morning from dropping the kid at school could definitely smell it. Did I break the master cylinder?
    Post #13.

    The last thing you did was the brake switch. Start there. No, rather not: FIND A PROPER MECHANIC. The D3 never was and never will be an easy DIY vehicle.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanked: 230

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    There was a recall on that model for the brake booster.A problem with one of the pipes.Maybe that is the reason for the binding brakes.By just applying brakes repeatedly will not cause that.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

  25. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Disco 3 bongs _ I need help

    Guys

    Please point me in the direction of an Indy experienced on the Disco3. Im on the west coast in Saldanha/Vredenburg.

    Thanx in advance

    Im sick without my Disco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •