Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Default Re: Migration to Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    The time has arrived. The shipment with our belongings is arriving at our “new” house today. We got a rental property for now. It is very scarse here as many city folk moved to Warrnambool in the last year. Town is expanding, new houses built etc.
    We got the keys to this new house last week friday. We went to clean etc last weekend. Must say, I think the RSA cleaning standards are better than here, and I thought it to be reversed.
    Our camping trailer will be arriving tomorrow if all goes well. Looking forward to our next camp, when its warmer.

So today and tomorrow we offload the container, and the weekend will be mostly unpacking. The idea was that the move company unpack and we pack away, but due to covid regulations the are not allowed to unpack, except for tha large pieces i.e. beds, couches, freezer and dining table. The rest is up to us.

We went for a walk from the house earlier the week after work. The closest beach about 460m away and a nice little play park for the kids about 100m before the beach.
    Really happy for you Jacques, your complete new life awaits you and your family
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

The time has arrived. The shipment with our belongings is arriving at our “new” house today. We got a rental property for now. It is very scarse here as many city folk moved to Warrnambool in the last year. Town is expanding, new houses built etc.
    We got the keys to this new house last week friday. We went to clean etc last weekend. Must say, I think the RSA cleaning standards are better than here, and I thought it to be reversed.
    Our camping trailer will be arriving tomorrow if all goes well. Looking forward to our next camp, when its warmer.

So today and tomorrow we offload the container, and the weekend will be mostly unpacking. The idea was that the move company unpack and we pack away, but due to covid regulations the are not allowed to unpack, except for tha large pieces i.e. beds, couches, freezer and dining table. The rest is up to us.

We went for a walk from the house earlier the week after work. The closest beach about 460m away and a nice little play park for the kids about 100m before the beach.

Attachment 629201
    Attachment 629202Attachment 629203
    Fantastic. We thought one of our boxes had been “misplaced” because there was a whole lot of stuff we couldn’t find. Until we tried to use the tumble drier. That container pulling up is like Christmas.

Cleaning is a bit hit and miss. Remember you’re paying $30/hr for those cleaners. On the whole I’d say most houses here are dirtier inside than you would be accustomed to.

I’m jealous of your off road trailer I won’t lie, a little less of your weather. I’ve already had four swims this spring in my unheated pool.

The time has arrived. The shipment with our belongings is arriving at our “new” house today.
    Ha!! Thats a nice feeling to once again be united with your worldly possessions.

But you got to admit. There is a simplicity in living without all the stuff too. Life’s simple then.

But ja, lekker hear you are now able to settle in Jaques.

So….. about your spotless house….. we talk again in 5 years time

I know a couple who went back to ZA because the wife refused to clean and scrub the house and the husband refused to pay $200 to get someone in to do it.

Please do post more pics of your new adventures. I had a look. Its a bit far to join you for a cold one, but didnt you mention you are visiting Perthtoria soon?
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post
    Ha!! Thats a nice feeling to once again be united with your worldly possessions.

But you got to admit. There is a simplicity in living without all the stuff too. Life’s simple then.

But ja, lekker hear you are now able to settle in Jaques.

So….. about your spotless house….. we talk again in 5 years time

I know a couple who went back to ZA because the wife refused to clean and scrub the house and the husband refused to pay $200 to get someone in to do it.

Please do post more pics of your new adventures. I had a look. Its a bit far to join you for a cold one, but didnt you mention you are visiting Perthtoria soon?
    At this stage I just hope that we can unpack everything by mid next week, and then we can clean. Luckily we both made peace with that we have to do all the cleaning. We do not mind that much.

Our plan was to come to your country over december, but I do not think that your emperor will allow us to come.

And it is just 3 days hard driving…

Our plan was to come to your country over december, but I do not think that your emperor will allow us to come.

And it is just 3 days hard driving…
    Ja, our chief is playing hard ball at the moment. I do suspect all the borders might be open by then if we hit the 85% to 90% vaccination mark.

We are well prepped for this one... Have not had a house cleaner or garden engineer for the last 6 years, doing everything ourselves
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

A business associate of mine in Zimbabwe moved to Perth in the early 2000's, he hadn't found a job after 6 weeks and when his furniture arrived in Perth he never even unpacked the container, he asked them to turn the container around and send it back to Zimbabwe, he returned the following day. He said he would never take his furniture on holiday again.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    A business associate of mine in Zimbabwe moved to Perth in the early 2000's, he hadn't found a job after 6 weeks and when his furniture arrived in Perth he never even unpacked the container, he asked them to turn the container around and send it back to Zimbabwe, he returned the following day. He said he would never take his furniture on holiday again.
    I suggest that said person probably moved to Perth because he was struggling in Zim?

(How the FOOK do you move to another country based on blind hope, no job, no research? What a plonker)
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I suggest that said person probably moved to Perth because he was struggling in Zim?

(How the FOOK do you move to another country based on blind hope, no job, no research? What a plonker)
    He was a Chartered Accountant, Finance Director of a very well managed (and profitable) company. He had visited Australia on 4 previous occasions. I agree absolute madness. I'm finance too, got offered the first job that I applied for, it was a major step backwards in my career but it is called "Opportunity Cost", you can't have it all ways.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

He was a Chartered Accountant, Finance Director of a very well managed (and profitable) company. He had visited Australia on 4 previous occasions. I agree absolute madness. I'm finance too, got offered the first job that I applied for, it was a major step backwards in my career but it is called "Opportunity Cost", you can't have it all ways.
    I'd question his decision making...........an FD should have more nous.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I am that idiot too.

Applied for jobs left right and centre. For 2 years. No luck.

Then I heard back from a prospective employer. To do a job I have never done.
    Sent them my fraudulent CV and waited.

They rang me for an interview.
    I lied about everything.
    I got the job.
    They paid for my flights, visa and container.
    Worked for them for 5 years and even helped them win a couple of good jobs.

I am not allone.
    Many come over blindly. No job, no house, no furniture. Most are successful.

Why?

This new country of mine is awesome. If you are willing to work, then you will be ok.
    If you insist on being a ‘manager’ or whatever and not willing to start at the bottom….. then yeah, pack your bags dorothy…..

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

I am that idiot too.

Applied for jobs left right and centre. For 2 years. No luck.
    The difference is that you never gave up, not many arrive in Australia with a job. But very few will return to Africa after less than 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Well I’m obviously a plonker as well. Never set foot in Oz before we arrived, no job, no contacts, just blind trust. Even went to the wrong city for my skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Well I’m obviously a plonker as well. Never set foot in Oz before we arrived, no job, no contacts, just blind trust. Even went to the wrong city for my skillset.
    Same here, plus lots of research. It was still a massive leap of faith. It worked out well for us, but I never want to repeat that again.

I can honestly say the money we saved by arranging our own visas, not doing an expensive look-see trip, buying a very modest second hand car and living cheaply by house-sitting in the first few months paid off eventually. It allowed us to get on the property train within 2 years, albeit hanging slightly by the fingernails, just before it completely left the station.

I am conservative by nature, but I have learnt that fortune really often favours the brave.
    Last edited by boerbok; 2021/09/19 at 09:10 AM.
    Hans

2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Okay, can we maybe have input from Saffers in Aus on 4x4 community, where they live. Just to have an idea where who is.

I am in Warrnambool, Victoria.

I know Boerbok is just east of Melbourne.

Tedx2 and BruceB is in or close to Brisbane I think.

JDjoubert in Perth.

Who else?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Okay, can we maybe have input from Saffers in Aus on 4x4 community, where they live. Just to have an idea where who is.

JDjoubert in Perth.

Who else?
    Sunny warm Hobart

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Duggen For This Useful Post:

A friend of mine emigrated to New Zeeland in the early 90's, arrived, agent took them for a tour of his new country and what he saw was not what he expected. He was back in ZA before his container even arrived in new Zeeland

26. The Following User Says Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Duggen View Post
    Sunny warm Hobart
    To say that makes me think that I can say that Warrnambool is calm, no wind and nice and warm also…

we had the worst last two days. It rained sideways. Yesterday max of 8 degrees, with small hail about 5 times throughout the day.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Meanwhile we’ve been social distancing

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

JDjoubert in Perth.

Who else?
    I'm in Brisbane

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to navman-2 For This Useful Post:

Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast