Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Default Re: Migration to Australia

I know it's been shared on this thread before but perhaps a bump for those that haven't been through the entire thread.

Sites that I have found very helpful during this process:

Facebook:

A lot of information on these FB pages. A lot of people that's been through the process on here giving feedback and input

Aussiekaners Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/362958050512251/

South Africans in Brisbane and QLD
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2227722590775043/

Aussiekaners
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/aussiekaners/

SA Australia Forum:

Although it is not as busy as a few years ago, there is still a lot of valuable information on there. I found great threads here on, Financial Immigration, Closing accounts, area specific budget, moving companies etc.

https://www.saaustralia.org/

Australian Government - Department of Home Affairs:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/

I cannot state how much information is available on this site. To be honest I was confused by it initially and felt lost on it. But the more I used it the better it got. I've spend hours and hours on this site going through each section and following links from one section.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a/visa-listing

Banking:

This is something everyone needs to decide for themselves. But here are some links to Australian banks that allow you to open an account while still in South Africa. I've over thought this aspect as well, but hey, cannot do any harm. Most of this available on all the other sites, but though I might as well share this since this is still fresh in my memory. Our local Australian forumites might be able to comment on each bank... But at least there is a mechanism to start moving over some finances while still in the process

Your account is activated on arrival and confirmation of identification. Most of the big 4 banks will be able to assist with this

https://www.commbank.com.au/moving-to-australia.html
    https://www.nab.com.au/personal/trav...-from-overseas
    Pieter le Roux

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

We opened a commonwealth bank account while still in South Africa. We did however not transfer money into those accounts until after we avtivated them. We just opened our FNB accounts for travel and used that for a month.

Yes there are lots of info out there. I am not on FB, but my wife is. She got some info there. We did most of the things needed to move ourselves. And we are also willing to assist others with info and advise where possible.

One of my roommates from 2000 when I lived in London for a year are also now in the process and I am assisting them as they go along.

Hope to see some of you sometime. We are a bit in the “gatkant” of Australia, with not many SAFFERS here, but we will be traveling to Brissie and Perth at some stages.

We opened a Westpac account before we moved. Because they advertised no service fees for immigrants and are associated with Barclays. I banked with ABSA in SA, so I thought the connection might help if my money got “lost” on the way over. Obviously neither of those reasons are really valid. You have to be particularly unlucky to pay account fees in Oz.

I transferred all my money before we left. I thought it would be easier to sort any issues in person in Aus than by remote control in RSA. There was some nervousness in that period between landing and getting to the bank to activate the account. We had to open a new set of accounts here anyway as in RSA my wife always just used my account with signing authority. Here that’s not possible so we had to open new joint accounts.

Since we got our building loan we have been with Commonwealth. I see no difference between the two.

We bought some turf and topsoil for the garden yesterday. It struck the wife and I again how different the default position is in Australia. Here it is expected that people will do the right thing.

You can check the place on Google maps:
    https://centenarylandscaping.com.au/

There are two ways after the gate, parking or around back to collect. No one at the gate. We went round to collection. Parked next to the pallet with the turf on it. I rolled up 4 slabs and loaded them into the Ute. My wife went searching for the soil she wanted. I threw two of those in the back. We browsed some other stuff and then went and paid.

At no time ever did anyone check what was in the back of the Ute.

Here I have both a NAB account (which we opened before we left) and CommBank account which is our day to day account.

I will say, hands down the best banking experience I have ever had is when I applied and got a home loan from CommBank. That is despite using Investec in South Africa, if that's worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    We bought some turf and topsoil for the garden yesterday. It struck the wife and I again how different the default position is in Australia. Here it is expected that people will do the right thing.

You can check the place on Google maps:
    https://centenarylandscaping.com.au/

There are two ways after the gate, parking or around back to collect. No one at the gate. We went round to collection. Parked next to the pallet with the turf on it. I rolled up 4 slabs and loaded them into the Ute. My wife went searching for the soil she wanted. I threw two of those in the back. We browsed some other stuff and then went and paid.

At no time ever did anyone check what was in the back of the Ute.
    Yip, we were amazed by the self service check out when we first got here. Or the honesty stalls with goodies on the road in more rural areas. Take what you want and pay, no one checking just trust.

More links I found helpful:

Banking:

https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/ba...ing-australia/

Then someone on the SA Australia Forum suggestion the following as well for those still in SA but that will need access to Australia funds. Some might start to do remote work while still in SA so this is an option

https://www.revolut.com

Facebook:

Forgot about this page. Just as helpful as the others

South Africans Packing for Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1107210519291790/
    Pieter le Roux

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    Did you initially request it with Maiden name, IF so, then you should have checked it there, and if not correct, they re-print it there while you wait. You could try and go back and ask for a re-print still? Much easier and quicker than waiting out the 4-6 weeks again.

Yes, maiden name is required.
    Managed to successfully request a re-print with her maiden surname included.
    Pieter le Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan29 View Post
    I applied in February for me and the wife's unabridged birth
    certificates. Was at DHO 2 weeks ago, still nothing.
    There comes a time when the price these guys ask, are worth it.
    Indeed....

Take Police clearance as an example:
    R150 = At SAPS and then you take your chances
    R700 - R 1500 = 3rd Party usually takes 4-6 weeks
    R2000+ = 3rd Part in 5-7 working days

Depending on urgency each one of the above will be a bargain...
    Pieter le Roux

Default Migration to Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Indeed....

Take Police clearance as an example:
    R150 = At SAPS and then you take your chances
    R700 - R 1500 = 3rd Party usually takes 4-6 weeks
    R2000+ = 3rd Part in 5-7 working days

Depending on urgency each one of the above will be a bargain...
    We did our police clearances in 2020 and it took about 4 weeks, and we did it ourselves in PTA CBD. Must have been lucky…
    Last edited by Bassfisher; 2021/10/19 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error. I think the mods must laugh a lot at some people’s spelling. Mine included

Fark off. There are plenty forums for sa oz migration ####!

Quote Originally Posted by natand View Post
    Fark off. There are plenty forums for sa oz migration ####!
    *edit. Self deleted.

But, why this sudden change of attitude? You contributed so nicely in this thread over the years?

Wonder what changed

Last edited by jdjoubert; 2021/10/20 at 01:04 AM.
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

Around the corner from my house

And this, it’s Jacaranda season:
    Last edited by BruceB; 2021/10/21 at 08:47 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

So some other thoughts I had this weekend.

Thursday we went out for “date night”, but my daughter ended up tagging along, so became a burgers out night. Good burgers, not your typical fast food type of thing, but not what I would call a “gourmet” burger. Three burgers, one serving thick cut chips, two milkshakes and a sofa fountain coke : ~R750 ($71). I’m thinking that you’d pay a bit less in RSA.

We dropped my fifteen year old daughter off at the job she organised for herself at a sushi restaurant on Sunday late morning. She runs the shop section on her own. Takes money, orders, cleans up etc. As a school student she can’t work longer than 4 hours (I think). Anyway she made about R800. We couldn’t pick her up so she jumped on the bus and was home half an hour later. This is why we moved.

Also a picture of how the other half live:

We don’t typically see boats this fancy this far up the Brissy. From here it’s about 75km to the river mouth by river.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Very nice!
    Apart from the gum trees that could be here in the Midwest

So some other thoughts I had this weekend.

Thursday we went out for “date night”, but my daughter ended up tagging along, so became a burgers out night. Good burgers, not your typical fast food type of thing, but not what I would call a “gourmet” burger. Three burgers, one serving thick cut chips, two milkshakes and a sofa fountain coke : ~R750 ($71). I’m thinking that you’d pay a bit less in RSA.

We dropped my fifteen year old daughter off at the job she organised for herself at a sushi restaurant on Sunday late morning. She runs the shop section on her own. Takes money, orders, cleans up etc. As a school student she can’t work longer than 4 hours (I think). Anyway she made about R800. We couldn’t pick her up so she jumped on the bus and was home half an hour later. This is why we moved.

Also a picture of how the other half live:

We don’t typically see boats this fancy this far up the Brissy. From here it’s about 75km to the river mouth by river.

David Vierra
    ‘21 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 3.5L M/T (Sold)
    ‘52 Beech Bonanza

“The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge”
    – Daniel J. Boorstin

Just something interesting, for me in any case. We moved to Aus a few months back, as most of you reading this thread will know.

We also brought our Conqueror Comfort over. By getting it ready for registration, I found that all the 220v switches (plugs, lights) and breakers are double isolated in Aus. Thus, the switch isolate the + and - wires. I had to replace the plug on my trailer’s DB because it is not double isolated.

Cheers.
    Jacques

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Did my PTE test this morning. Facilitator informed us that there will be a slight change to the test format. Nothing mayor but will be slightly different to what is currently being shown on YouTube. This change will take effect on the 16th of November. Just note this if you are writing after then, and are preparing on current format
    Pieter le Roux

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

I’ve heard the same wrt to IELTS.

This Saturday was garden maintenance day so I had some time to ruminate. Some things that I thought about regarding moving here.

- There was a thread recently in which the need for help in your home was discussed. This is a VERY different discussion in Oz. Our current lawn is quite small, so I could probably get someone to mow it for about R500, the quote for my last one was R1000. My daughter had a very good friend in primary school who’s mother cleaned houses. She drove a brand new LC200, her husband sold shower doors. I think the going rate is about R350/hour. No heavy lifting. Sooo if you can’t manage to keep your home clean and your kids supervised in RSA, there are going to be some significant challenges ahead for you. Be prepared for it. If you need a hole dug…. well hope you know how to use a pick. You can have a man dig you a hole, but he’s going to do it with a 3t excavator. Or you duck over to Kennards and hire a auger or a jack hammer for a few hours.

- There’s a thread about “do you remember” On there someone said walking about until late without fear. It started me thinking when last I’d walked about and feared my safety? I can’t recall. I’ve wondered about the city (Brisbane) in dark parks at 11 at night without a thought. My fifteen year old daughter and her friends went out “trick or treating” the other night until we’ll after dark and I never have it any thought. I’m still to Saffer to allow her to take the bus home “on her own” after work at eight at night. The other night we dropped some clothes off at the Vinnies and we’re looking where you should leave it. Dark parking area in an “industrial” setting. What we thought was the donation bin turned out to be the dirt bin, so ended up around the corner. When came back I realised that I’d left the doors wide open engine running.

- Be careful of where you “land”. It will be difficult to move away if you have school going kids. You’re uprooting your whole life, moving your children away from everything they’ve ever known. When they land they will love it. They will absorb into the school immediately. Immigrants are normal in Australia, a third of Australians were born somewhere else. Then comes the point that you want to move to your “permanent” area. Most people can’t get it over their hearts to uproot the kids again. My daughter is an “ice queen”. She never shows emotion, but it comes out in other ways. When she’s stressed her personality changes. I could easily see this when we emigrated, and again when we moved from the North side to West side of Brisbane.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

I poured a little slab at my house yesterday. Took advantage of the excavator onsite to cart the concrete, because as you can see my front yard is anything but level and concreting is hard enough without having to push wheel barrows around. As you can also see the only guy doing any hard yakka is yours truly. Welcome to Australia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camphoto_1804928587.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	372.7 KB 
ID:	635454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4543.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	795.6 KB 
ID:	635455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65768084738__08CBFEB7-242B-47A0-9FD7-65170FF7DA35.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	635456  

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

I poured a little slab at my house yesterday. Took advantage of the excavator onsite to cart the concrete, because as you can see my front yard is anything but level and concreting is hard enough without having to push wheel barrows around. As you can also see the only guy doing any hard yakka is yours truly. Welcome to Australia.
    Not that I needed any reminding, but damn I am happy that we live in a Unit. I do understand that we are at different stages of life. The only domestic help that we ever missed in Australia was the gardener. This is a view of our front garden
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast