Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Default Re: Migration to Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm_Bergbok View Post
    Adelaide is great ! we love it here !
    That being said, there is probably less job opportunities here - or at least if you do something specialized you might not find it in Adelaide. If you can though I would highly recommend Adelaide. MUCH better quality of life compared to the other options. Probably Australia's best kept secret. Google Adelaide hills- like Stellenbosch basically.
    Looks really good. What sector are you in? How is the construction industry there? Specifically construction project management on bigger projects. Is there scope for that, firms that do that?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    The first invitation round for this quarter ran last night... And again, it was a #####ty invitation round....

Now we wait 3 months again for the next round....

Are you waiting on the 491 SinWolf? Or still holding out hope for 189?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Are you waiting on the 491 SinWolf? Or still holding out hope for 189?
    Which ever comes first... But we are convinced that a 491 will come first because of our high points on that one (100 points)...
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Which ever comes first... But we are convinced that a 491 will come first because of our high points on that one (100 points)...
    Any reason for not considering the 190?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Any reason for not considering the 190?
    There are no regions currently (and for the past 18 months) that we qualify for... For my specific skill, you need to be on-shore to qualify.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm_Bergbok View Post
    Adelaide is great ! we love it here !
    Maybe change your forum profile that still says you live in CT?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

There are no regions currently (and for the past 18 months) that we qualify for... For my specific skill, you need to be on-shore to qualify.
    Ah OK that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Looks really good. What sector are you in? How is the construction industry there? Specifically construction project management on bigger projects. Is there scope for that, firms that do that?
    I originally worked in engineering and then moved to investment finance for the last couple of years before moving here. Investment related finance is pretty much non existent in Adelaide - that stuff happens in Sydney and Melbourne. Kind of had to make a third career change that combines engineering and finance and finally found something- took 6 months though.

Project management should be fine, might even be in demand. BHP is pretty big in Adelaide as are some other government entities that does infrastructure. There is a big infrastructure investment drive in South Australia now.
    PM me if you want more info - I want to send you something.

Adelaide is also considerably cheaper than Sydney etc as well- should be able to buy a decent size house or even plot keep a sheep or 2 and still be 25min from center of city.
    on another note- Aus is great. Nothing is perfect and the Ausies have a different way of doing things (I am still adjusting at work haha), but it was a great decision coming. Don't know how it works but feels like my quality of life improved immensely.

Don't know if it has been mentioned- but have a look at regional visas even if it is just to get here. Think a lot of places just outside Adelaide count as regional (like 30 minute drive)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilhelm_Bergbok For This Useful Post:

This place still amazes me sometimes. That’s the public footpath on the right. The girls are practicing netball to left of the shot somewhere. The lawn is littered with cell phones and AirPods. No worry in the world for the kids here.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

This place still amazes me sometimes. That’s the public footpath on the right. The girls are practicing netball to left of the shot somewhere. The lawn is littered with cell phones and AirPods. No worry in the world for the kids here.
    As a South African I can confirm this must be photoshopped. The following is evidence for this:

1) The grass is cut
    2) The pavement is not broken
    3) Where is the litter?
    4) There is no car guard watching the cars

How I look forward to a move!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Its 01:35 in the morning in Melbourne now as I start typing. We have been in quarantine for some while now. Think tonight is our 9th evening. So if I am able to sleep later on, and wake up some hours later, we will have 6 nights left.

Just a story on this pic with cellphones lying around etc. About 4 years back when I came over for a short look around (second visit to aus), I took a taxi from Sydney airport to an hotel next to sydney harbour. It was probably a 45 minutes drive.

I just got a new simcard at arrival so I texted my family back home on the way to the hotel.

At check in, after a few minutes, the taxi driver tapped me on my shoulder and handed me my phone which I subsequently left in the taxi when I got out.

I was very surprised and happy with this.

When I arrived back in JHB two weeks later, I found that someone, probably at JHB international airport stole my leatherman wave from the side pocket of my check in luggage. So yes, this made me furious.

Tale of two countries and why we are here now, starting our journey.

J

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    As a South African I can confirm this must be photoshopped. The following is evidence for this:

1) The grass is cut
    2) The pavement is not broken
    3) Where is the litter?
    4) There is no car guard watching the cars

How I look forward to a move!
    I found out one of those phones was my daughters, klein merrie, she also forgot it there. Realised it wasn’t in her jumper pocket when we got to the car. Sprinted back to find it lying under her mask.

So in Queensland if we have a local transmission case we have a three day lockdown so that the contract tracers can chase the potential contacts. The last time this happened when we were on holiday on the Gold Coast. The pathway below runs about 30kms along the beach, there are a few breaks. The white roof in the picture below is the bbq area for the flats we’re staying at. You will notice the incredible security measures in place to keep the undesirables out. In the area is a box with everything you need to have a bbq on gas except meat and spices.

In lockdown you are free to exercise, which walking on the beach obviously is.

That half an hour after the sun has set is my favourite time on the beach. It’s fantastic to have this with zero concerns.

I post this not as something to make anyone jealous about, but rather for those who are on the fence. When we talk about an increase in our quality of life this is what we are talking about.

To balance this out the following are very real concerns:
    - Will I ever be able to retire? Im scheduled to pay my house off when I’m 75 if I keep the status quo. Maybe I should stop borrowing more and building on .
    - If something happens to my mom, well there’s nothing I can do to help. Went through this when my Dad passed.
    - My wife now sleeps with the garden boy
    - I now sleep with the maid
    - Slowly first world problems become “real” problems.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    Its 01:35 in the morning in Melbourne now as I start typing. We have been in quarantine for some while now. Think tonight is our 9th evening. So if I am able to sleep later on, and wake up some hours later, we will have 6 nights left.

Just a story on this pic with cellphones lying around etc. About 4 years back when I came over for a short look around (second visit to aus), I took a taxi from Sydney airport to an hotel next to sydney harbour. It was probably a 45 minutes drive.

I just got a new simcard at arrival so I texted my family back home on the way to the hotel.

At check in, after a few minutes, the taxi driver tapped me on my shoulder and handed me my phone which I subsequently left in the taxi when I got out.

I was very surprised and happy with this.

When I arrived back in JHB two weeks later, I found that someone, probably at JHB international airport stole my leatherman wave from the side pocket of my check in luggage. So yes, this made me furious.

Tale of two countries and why we are here now, starting our journey.

J
    Jet lag much?

At least you can watch the Olympics.

I think it is that and also because we cannot do much. Hope that it will get better as we get “home”, get busy etc.

We got “released” on Tuesday from Melbourne hotel quarantine. We then drove to Ballarat with my “new” company ute to buy a car for my wife. After the purchase we drove further to Warrnambool, our town for the next who knows how long.

There was a movie made in Warrnambool, if anyone is interested in watching a family movie with their kids. I could only find a low res copy of it on Youtube. Its called “Oddball”.

The weather here is nothing like Nelspruit/Malelane. Yesterday it changed between sun and rain about 10 times. With wind and cold. But it is south Victoria, so it is what it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6120.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	625276
    My “new” ute.

Name:	f502fa25-afe4-4b74-a289-602f9c3c8c12.jpg 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	625277
    Middle Island (the movie will also show this a lot)

Name:	IMG_6145.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	625278
    Logans beach whale nursery.

Cheers
    Jacques

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

And are you still in temporary accommodation Jacques?
    Last edited by Emmie L; 2021/08/05 at 02:20 AM.

We got “released” on Tuesday from Melbourne hotel quarantine. We then drove to Ballarat with my “new” company ute to buy a car for my wife. After the purchase we drove further to Warrnambool, our town for the next who knows how long.

There was a movie made in Warrnambool, if anyone is interested in watching a family movie with their kids. I could only find a low res copy of it on Youtube. Its called “Oddball”.

The weather here is nothing like Nelspruit/Malelane. Yesterday it changed between sun and rain about 10 times. With wind and cold. But it is south Victoria, so it is what it is.

My “new” ute.

Cheers
    Jacques
    Living the dream!

Must say I couldn’t spring for a Merc for my post immi car. Only a little envious .

My “new” ute.

Cheers
    Jacques
    Hey Jacques,

Your adventure is only starting.
    Enjoy....

From another early morning wake-up in Barberton

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    And are you still in temporary accommodation Jacques?
    Yes we are Emmy. Still house hunting and it is scarce in Warrnambool.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Living the dream!

Must say I couldn’t spring for a Merc for my post immi car. Only a little envious .
    Oooh no, we just bought a Holden Captiva from a Merc dealership. Bought cash, so did not want to spend a lot

Would love to buy an Everest again one day.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast