Power outage survey - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Power outage survey

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    The cheapest inverter plus battery set up can solve the internet problem for good .
    No internet can be solver real quick. A suitable battery with a DC plug directly into the router DC socket solves that problem. That is what I use and an alarm/gate motor battery lasts 5 hours and not even very flat yet. Even some china mall Li-Ion as used in laptop batteries can do the trick for the 2-3 hours.
    The device Richard posted is also a great item to have in these times.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    How do you know when the utility power goes off ?

Edit - Note to self. I really must get around to installing that buzzer and indicator light in my DB so I know what is feeding my house power.
    A belated reply...

I am sure you know precisely what is powering your house at any given time...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    A belated reply...

I am sure you know precisely what is powering your house at any given time...
    Actually no. I know itís electricity. But where it is comming from, not so much.

I have to put down my beer and put the DSTV on Statue and take a walk to the garage and have a look in the DB to see.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Eskom did a scheduled connection yesterday, giving us bout 16 hr warning. the off should have been 8 hrs , but it is still ongoing, at 25 hrs now.
    I have a 700 KVA running the packhouse, 85 % of the power is for the coldrooms.
    But the water is running out and to start up the Pumps I need 4 MVA
    I am dribling in a bit of water with my 20 000L tanker, but it will not keep up with the demand.

At home like I posted above, the small petrol Genny is just keeping the fridge and freezer cold, and charging a few Phones on the side.

Is the 700kVA temporary power provided by Eskom?

no, it is my standby genset.

This is when the lack of power is very Very bad. How much diesel does such a genset use per hour?

Gotta love the smell of diesel in the air with about 5x noisy monster generators screaming at a gazillion decibel's while at the office..

..and another is the outage of traffic lights on the commute home with all those 'tail gunners' trying their utmost to create insurance claim opportunities..

Once home it is bliss and have backup for Eksdom if needed, before the solar & batteries the main issue was "no power" = "no water", but my 5kva MicroCare is taking 'care' of that now
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Gotta love the smell of diesel in the air with about 5x noisy monster generators screaming at a gazillion decibel's while at the office..

..and another is the outage of traffic lights on the commute home with all those 'tail gunners' trying their utmost to create insurance claim opportunities..

Once home it is bliss and have backup for Eksdom if needed, before the solar & batteries the main issue was "no power" = "no water", but my 5kva MicroCare is taking 'care' of that now
    Strangely enough, I have found traffic lights without power MUCH safer and more efficient than normal. (Up until a very high traffic density)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    no, it is my standby genset.
    En waar die donder is Klein Pella waar julle gebruik so veel van die skaars goed warmee Eksdom sukkel?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    This is when the lack of power is very Very bad. How much diesel does such a genset use per hour?
    Mine runs at about 100L /hr at full tilt, current usage is about 90-95L / hr.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Very interesting. A 700W genny can use 1L/h and yours produces 1000 times more power and uses 100 times more diesel. Thus consumption is 10 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    En waar die donder is Klein Pella waar julle gebruik so veel van die skaars goed warmee Eksdom sukkel?
    TEEN die Oranje rivier ....

Irrigation farming. And it is now harvesting season so the chiller plants are RUNNING ... the absolute WORST time for these farmers to have load shedding !!

Not sure how bad this is for the "date" farmers, but I know the table-grape farmers MUST keep the "cold-chain" or their clients rejects the shipment ....

We work with Klein Pella's neighbours, so I get to see the equipment and what their requirements are .....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

By the by I notice Bidvest Terminals are busy with a massive (4No. x 16m diam x 60m long bullets) LPG storage installation in RB; going to be coming in useful methinks - er, unless Eskom want it for their peaking generator a bit south of RB.

To solve all the problems, I just went the Generator route. I have two tenants living on my property, so it is also about safety, not only convenience. I would eventually maybe want to go solar permanently on certain circuits in the house, at least ALL of the light circuits and the plug circuits in the bedrooms and living rooms, I think that 4 100 ah batteries and 3 or 4 x 330w PV panels and possibly a 1kw inverter. I need to investigate a bit more. Maybe I must go and visit Johann Maree on his plot in Benoni to learn a bit more about PVs and batteries....

My suggestion with a Generator for household use: Get at least a 7.5 Kva unit. It can support most household items except the electric stove in the one flat and geyser. I can even weld with my ancient oil-filled welder when its is load shedding time. I have the main house 2 cottages. Run it max for two hours during the day and not later than 22h00 at night. The only issue I have with that is the security lights for the rest of the night. Three gates and 2 garage doors use 12v battery motors.

I bought one of those Chinese Honda copies (Paid R9,950 in 2014) and have been using it now for the past four years without an issue. I always refill the tank (25lt) and 20lt Jerry Can after running it for more than 3 hours at night. My tenants and the family know, if the power is out, the genny runs to 21h30, at the latest to 22h00. I seldom run it for more than 1 hour at a time during daylight hours. It uses between 4 an 6 lt in a 3 to 4 hr period, depending on the load.

I have built a fairly soundproof room away from the house next to the lapa, with the exhaust (35mm pipe) going up through the roof. It does have two silicone pipe joints in it to take up the play between the vibrating genny and the solid brackets going through the roof.

On the main DB, the cable from the genny goes into a 3 position rotary switch with "Mains", "Off" and "Gen" settings. I also have an audible alarm with a flashing light that is connected to mains. This is turned on when the mains are off, so when mains do return, the light flashes and the buzzer makes a racket, so we know we can switch off the genny.

I have a 6mm cable from the genny to the main House DB and that then also feeds the 4 sub DBs that are fed from there (as per normal from the main house DB). I have the main house, 2 cottages 3 garages/workshop areas and a lapa. We have a total of 5 fridges and luckily gas stoves, gas geyser for the house and a solar geyser for the outbuildings.

I also run the solar geyser on mains on a timer from 22h00 for one hour and again from 04h00 to 05h30 daily. In winter it does cool down substantially at night, and of course in summer we do have those rainy days when we just need to give it that extra little "bump-up". I do however turn the geyser's mains switch off in case it does switch on while the genny is running, as I know the geyser will overload the genny

The switch-over form mains to genny has to be done manually, the automated system is just too darned expensive. The genny does however have a manually activated electric starter and its own starting battery.

I did it all myself, with the exception of the rotary switch, which I got a sparky to do for me, in order that I could obtain a Certificate Of Compliance (mostly for insurance purposes).
    Last edited by mvcoller; Yesterday at 11:07 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3