Botswana November 2018: Of heat and dust and life and death - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Botswana November 2018: Of heat and dust and life and death

Wow, what a wonderful trip. I would be interested to get more information about the conditions between Savuti and Chobe..
    We tried the route the other way around, coming fro Senyati after the rain, but decided to to turn back on the last 30 km, as the road condition become too difficult for a solo drive. When I read your report it seems that we where too faint harder....Just go through, and after Savuti no more problems?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inthanon For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the sharing. Your story and photo's made the experience real.

Remember to come back and to write it up.
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermanator For This Useful Post:

An excellent report and fantastic photos. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it!.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davesg For This Useful Post:

Hi Anne & Matthias,

Thank you for a wonderfully written, and comprehensive report. This with the accompanying excellent photos just translocated us back to Moremi/ Chobe NP. You really had a fantastic trip. Kenya/ Zambia will be waiting for you, and us definitely for the report.

Ke itumetse mma, Safari njema!

AP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    Loving the report so far! I'll be staying at Mbudi in June so interested in your thoughts on the camps and best game drive routes.
    Hi Paul, I still owe you an answer on Mbudi.

We liked the place a lot and would always prefer it over North Gate (though we have never stayed there but passed twice). Mbudi is probably quieter and thats what we are looking for. The location on Mbudi River is perfect and you hardly hear the road at all. The only complaint I have is that the ablutions could do with a bit of repair and a 2nd ablution building would be nice. When all sites are booked (as far as I have understood they have more than 10 sites) one ablution block seems not enough. But this minor issue aside, I would really recommend Mbudi.

Game-drive wise I would say: do yourself a favour and buy the fabulous tinkers map that is sold in many DWNP offices. It is detailed, reliable and full of GPS points that help you with orientation.
    Also I would ask people at Mbudi reception for their recommendations. We had the impression that they had contact with commercial game drivers and might point you do interesting areas - of course without any guarantee.

From our limited experience I would recommend the area between Matswere and Magotho Community campsite, especiallly the triangle where Mbudi and Khwai rivers finally join - but this can be much different in June, who knows.

Good luck with your safari in June - we would be happy to get a feedback,
    Anne

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Inthanon View Post
    Wow, what a wonderful trip. I would be interested to get more information about the conditions between Savuti and Chobe..
    We tried the route the other way around, coming fro Senyati after the rain, but decided to to turn back on the last 30 km, as the road condition become too difficult for a solo drive. When I read your report it seems that we where too faint harder....Just go through, and after Savuti no more problems?
    Hi Inthanon,

in my opinion the road from Ngoma to Savuti is bad in the sense that sand is quite deep which makes the ride extremely shaky. Provided that you lower pressure on the tires it should not really be a problem. I find that the real fun comes between Savuti and Mababe where it is either really bumpy (Marsh road when its dry) or big pools of water (on the Sand Ridge Road when it's wet). Though the target must be not to get stuck at all I think you will not be left alone there for days - vehicles are regularly passing through and people will mostly stop and help.

Which month was it that you turned around?

We could even get through in February (see below TR) thanks to the not so rainy season at the beginning of this year.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...aught-and-rain

The one advice that I can give: when in doubt ask DWNP staff at the gate and camps- they will point you to the right tracks and tell you which ones to avoid.

Good luck for next time - it is a wonderful area!
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    Hi Anne & Matthias,

Thank you for a wonderfully written, and comprehensive report. This with the accompanying excellent photos just translocated us back to Moremi/ Chobe NP. You really had a fantastic trip. Kenya/ Zambia will be waiting for you, and us definitely for the report.

Ke itumetse mma, Safari njema!

AP
    Hey apfac, thanks so much again. Bradt guide Zambia and Kenya have already been bought and are waiting to be studied - apart from a trip report, what better distraction for those long dark winter evenings?

Where will your next adventure take you?

Thanks for the lovely trip report, Anne!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shogen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    Hi Paul, I still owe you an answer on Mbudi.

We liked the place a lot and would always prefer it over North Gate (though we have never stayed there but passed twice). Mbudi is probably quieter and thats what we are looking for. The location on Mbudi River is perfect and you hardly hear the road at all. The only complaint I have is that the ablutions could do with a bit of repair and a 2nd ablution building would be nice. When all sites are booked (as far as I have understood they have more than 10 sites) one ablution block seems not enough. But this minor issue aside, I would really recommend Mbudi.

Game-drive wise I would say: do yourself a favour and buy the fabulous tinkers map that is sold in many DWNP offices. It is detailed, reliable and full of GPS points that help you with orientation.
    Also I would ask people at Mbudi reception for their recommendations. We had the impression that they had contact with commercial game drivers and might point you do interesting areas - of course without any guarantee.

From our limited experience I would recommend the area between Matswere and Magotho Community campsite, especiallly the triangle where Mbudi and Khwai rivers finally join - but this can be much different in June, who knows.

Good luck with your safari in June - we would be happy to get a feedback,
    Anne
    Your very helpful advice is much appreciated Anne. I promise a full report back after our trip.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulMark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    Bradt guide Zambia and Kenya have already been bought and are waiting to be studied - apart from a trip report, what better distraction for those long dark winter evenings?

Where will your next adventure take you?
    Hi Anne,

Bradt Zambia by Chris McIntyre is an excellent guide as any Bradt guide as always. I cannot comment on the Bradt Kenya Highlights guide by Phillip Briggs as it is quite an old version (2010) and therefore outdated. I think your best option will be the Rough guide to Kenya written by Richard Trillo (Expert Africa consultant). Nevertheless on the Mara, and still edited by Bradt, you probably have read the excellent book by Brian Jackman The Marsh Lions. A must read, definitely. You will not regret it!

October 2019 will probably see us revisiting Zambia. I will be spending these dark and cold winter weekend nights planning it. Not as cold as you though, at this little sunny and warmer corner of Europe.

Safari Njema.

AP

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Fantastic trip report! As you say, if you visited that area before, this just makes you want to go back

Wrangler Sahara 3.8
    Ex: 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7
    Ex: 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0
    Ex: 1997 Cherokee XJ 4.0

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tadek For This Useful Post:

What an awesome trip!!! And fantastic photo's.....

Sitting at my desk reading your trip report makes me want to go back right now....

Thank you for sharing

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AliCat For This Useful Post:

Great Trip Report and photographs.
    Enjoyed the whole Trip with you.
    You seem to have more luck on game drives than most,
    Even after a mix up with your luggage...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haboob For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the trip report! Great to hear about your trip. My wife and I would like to go to the Moremi/Savuti area and so far have always heard how one must book a year in advance and that sort of thing, but from the sound of things you didn't have that issue?

Perhaps what I was reading was about peak season, and if one is willing to suffer the heat then you can be more flexible? I'd be interested to hear your views on this.

Thanks again for the photos and the report.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Hi Anne,

thanks for a wonderful report! Great memories created I'm sure!

Rik

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

What a great trip and so nice documented. Very inspiring ! And you were very lucky with the game sightings (maybe the time of the year?).
    Regards, Hendrik

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrikk For This Useful Post:

Hi Annie. What a great trip,many thanks for sharing. The 2 guys you met from Portugal and England were my son and his friend. We are in Gabs at the moment with a planned trip to CKGR, Moremi and Tshaa at the very end of the year. We heard that recently that Tshaa was closed and that our booking had been changed to Dijara. Interesting that in your experience it’s the opposite. Can’t wait to start our adventure.
    Last edited by algarvedave; 2018/12/11 at 11:03 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algarvedave For This Useful Post:

Nice thread!

As a side note, who all saw the variety of posters on this thread, from all corners of South Africa, and then also:
    Braunschweig
    Gaborone
    Slovenia
    Lisbon
    Stuttgart
    Saskatchewan
    Shanghai
    Corona
    Zaandam
    Santa Cruz
    Portugal

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice thread!

As a side note, who all saw the variety of posters on this thread, from all corners of South Africa, and then also:
    Braunschweig
    Gaborone
    Slovenia
    Lisbon
    Stuttgart
    Saskatchewan
    Shanghai
    Corona
    Zaandam
    Santa Cruz
    Portugal
    Truly amazing audience,
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Thank you for the trip report! Great to hear about your trip. My wife and I would like to go to the Moremi/Savuti area and so far have always heard how one must book a year in advance and that sort of thing, but from the sound of things you didn't have that issue?

Perhaps what I was reading was about peak season, and if one is willing to suffer the heat then you can be more flexible? I'd be interested to hear your views on this.

Thanks again for the photos and the report.
    Hi CalDriver,

I can only speak for the two months that we were there.

1. I think for Jan/Feb you do not need a reservation, we did not have any problem at any of the camps that we visited. It might not be the best time to travel as tracks can be wet and slippery due to the rainy season also the bush is thicker (making game-viewing more difficult) and wildlife does not congregate at the places with water. On the other Hand Vegetation is wonderful and green, birdlife is amazing and you still have a fair chance of spotting amazing wildlife, there is so much to see. And it is less busy.

2. When we planned this trip for November we had the same question as you: “is it really necessary to make reservations?” and someone advised to do so (in spite of Moremi being less busy) as it would be sad to travel all the way and then realizing that a camp is fully booked and I do agree.
      While all camps (with the exception of 3rd bridge fully booked and Savuti 1st night almost fully occupied) had plenty of free space I am not sure about the actual booking status, meaning that people/tour operators might have had reservations, did not show up but for booking offices the status might have been “no space available”.

What I do recommend is: allow enough time for Moremi & Chobe and do not rush through this beautiful part of Botswana.

Happy travels, Anne

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast