Botswana November 2018: Of heat and dust and life and death

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Botswana November 2018: Of heat and dust and life and death

Back from yet another wonderful safari to Botswana here a new trip report of our adventures.
    It was really wild ride with quiet days and exciting days but all were stinking hot with around 40 degrees almost every day.

Some of you might wonder why again Moremi/Chobe - after all we had just been to this area in Jan/Feb. Well, this trip was actually planned even before our holidays in January where we had originally planned to be in CKGR.
    Anyway, after our return from Botswana at the beginning of this year we were very much impressed by Moremi and wanted to explore this area in much more detail so we decided to stick to our plan and spend 8 nights in the Moremi/Khwai area and a further 2 nights in Savuti. Lions had completely eluded us at the beginning of the year but man, we were lucky with these big cats this time!

Our schedule was:
    1 night Marula Guest Cottage, Thabazimbi
    1 night Khama Rhino Reserve
    1 night Baines Baobab
    2 nights South Gate
    1 night Third Bridge
    1 night Xakanaka
    3 nights Mbudi
    1 night Tshaa
    2 nights Savuti
    2 nights Senyati, Kazungula

Campsites were again booked by Botswana Footprints and I would still recommend them.
    One warning: The first days did not offer so many photo opportunities but it will get better - I promise!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Botswana November 2018: Of heat and dust and life and death

Day 1:
    We arrived at OT airport on 10th of November with 1 hour delay and were keen to quickly get to Bushlore for the take-over of our Hilux Bushcamper and the big shopping thing. It was only when Matthias loaded his backpack into the Bushlore car that picked us up at the airport when he noticed that his tripod was missing. Closer inspection of the backpack revealed that nothing was stolen but even worse: we had picked the wrong backback and when we tried to get back to the baggage area we were told that we could not re-enter and would need to go to "baggage enquiries". Oh dear, now we were in really big trouble, imagine that the other person neither recognized the mistake and was already on his way to God knows which remote place? The guys at baggage enquiries did not make the most professional impression but this proved completely wrong: after around 40 mins they managed to contact the person on his mobile and another 30 mins later we gratefully exchanged our backpacks - I do not know who was more embarrassed: Matthias or the other poor guy who had not even noticed the mistake.

After quick take-over of the Hilux Bushcamper (a first for us) we decided to postpone shopping to the following day as we had to drive another ~ 3 hours until Thabazimbi.
    Just after sunset we got to Marula Cottage Guesthouse where we had already stayed in January. This is the kind of small and personal guesthouses we like with only three comfortable rooms and delightful hosts who provide you with an excellent hot dinner. We had a few cold ones with them and other guests and went to bed early, exhausted but grateful that the baggage issue was solved so quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181111_050708.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	511690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181111_052727.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	770.6 KB 
ID:	511691  

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Not sure whether to laugh or to cry over the mishap

Possibly all the excitement of the start to the adventure which lead to some attention deficit

Glad you got sorted out at last.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

What an unusual start of this new Botswana adventure of yours! I'm sure luck remained with you throughout of this trip. Can hardly wait for more of this.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Day 2:
    Beautiful birdsong woke us shortly after sunrise and with a first cup of coffee in hand we explored the surroundings of our guesthouse. A paradise flycatcher was nesting in the tree above the breakfast area, another sweet little bird nested on the verandah and hornbills and other birds that we sadly could not identify kept us entertained until breakfast. All too soon we had to say goodbye to Monika and Dave - they are a really kind and easy-going couple with a big heart for wildlife and animals and had just adopted their 4th doggie, all of them well-behaved creatures with an understandable great affection for their owners.

Shopping in Thabazimbi was easy and border formalities at Martin's Drift quick and soon we were sailing towards Khama Rhino Reserve. We arrived in the early afternoon and decided not to see the rhinos this time. All our shopping goodies had to be stowed in the various drawers and cupboards, we had not yet unpacked our backpacks and a considerable amount of technical equipment was waiting to find its right place for the next days "in the wild".
    The night in Khama was quiet. We were lying in our rooftop tent and listening to the beloved sounds of a night in Africa and so grateful to be back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Day 3:
    After a hearty breakfast we said farewell to the rhinos that sadly had not visited us at our campsite and had a serious word with the hornbills who woke us early in the morning by attacking our steel table and side mirrors. I like these funny fellows with their harem-style feathery pants and wise eyes!

The drive up to the entry to Nxai Pan NP was rather boring and uneventful, except maybe for the badly potholed stretch which provided for undesired serpentine runs and the one or other big bang when we hit a particularly bad hole. The route towards the baobabs was better than expected - we had a certain respect for the deep-sand part but it was not so bad. After several hours on the road we could finally discern to baobabs in the distance. Any doubts whether or not it was worth the detour to camp at Baines were soon dispelled once we reached the seven giants - what a sight in such a vast emptiness! Majestic massive trees and not a single soul in sight. However the flies there were a real nuisance and after our first explorations we decided to head across the pan to build up our camp. It was incredibly hot and we parked the Bushcamper in the shadow of the solitary baobab that guards campsite no. 1 with a nice view of the pan with the baobab island in the distance. The afternoon was whiled away with reading, showering and preparing dinner. With the approach of sunset Matthias started the drone as this would be the only opportunity to fly and it provided us with an interesting view of the whole area.

After sunset thankfully it started to cool down. Matthias tried his hand on starlight photography and managed to get some amazing results. With only a tiny slice of the moon visible you could see thousands of stars and the white pan had an eerie glow as if it was lighted from underneath. We enjoyed the complete silence and the knowledge that there was not another human being within a radius of more than 30 km.

Around midnight a heavy wind started to blow and our tent rattled as if it was shaken by some invisible creature. I did not sleep very well, either it was due to the noise of the wind or some tokoloshe was lurking in the giant tree.
    A magical sunrise at the baobabs awaited us the next morning. It is an amazing setting and we took dozens of photos with the ever changing morning light. How lucky we were with not another soul in sight - we had a lovely breakfast with the breathtaking views of the pans and the mighty giants.

When we headed back to the NP gate we found very fresh elephant spoor and dung on the track! The dung was still humid and smelly and we thought the elephant had passed maybe not even an hour ago. It must be an incredible experience to see them around the baobabs but as much as we peered into the surroudings we could not find him.

Name:	IMG_20181112_152356.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	511754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181112_172107.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	546.4 KB 
ID:	511755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI_0086.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	511756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI_0096.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	340.3 KB 
ID:	511757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5970.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	511758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5978.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	585.8 KB 
ID:	511759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181113_044834.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	775.8 KB 
ID:	511760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181113_044001.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	511761  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI_0104.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	511762  
    Last edited by Anne_W; 2018/12/01 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typing error

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

More please....

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    Day 1:
    We arrived at OT airport on 10th of November with 1 hour delay and were keen to quickly get to Bushlore for the take-over of our Hilux Bushcamper and the big shopping thing. It was only when Matthias loaded his backpack into the Bushlore car that picked us up at the airport when he noticed that his tripod was missing. Closer inspection of the backpack revealed that nothing was stolen but even worse: we had picked the wrong backback and when we tried to get back to the baggage area we were told that we could not re-enter and would need to go to "baggage enquiries". Oh dear, now we were in really big trouble, imagine that the other person neither recognized the mistake and was already on his way to God knows which remote place? The guys at baggage enquiries did not make the most professional impression but this proved completely wrong: after around 40 mins they managed to contact the person on his mobile and another 30 mins later we gratefully exchanged our backpacks - I do not know who was more embarrassed: Matthias or the other poor guy who had not even noticed the mistake. ....

Hi Anne,

This was a "good" start indeed. I would get seriously ill with all of this. Already glued to the trip report. Those Baobabs always shine in that majestic solitude! After all, one of the joys of traveling over 10 000Km, Africa.

Eagerly waiting for the next installments.

Thank you.

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2018/12/01 at 11:54 PM. Reason: comment adding

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Lovely pictures, however I seem to be noticing more and more trip reports in the parks which are including drone pics... Whilst they give a stunning perspective, I thought they could not be used in National Parks in Bots?

For the record, I am a big fan of what drones offer, but have been reluctant to buy one due to the more and more strenuous operating regulations, which I do understand and agree with.

Apologies if I am out of date here, and certainly don't mean to derail your trip report - just curious as to the current status regarding their use?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheabb78 For This Useful Post:

Hi cheabb78,

as far as I know the use of drones is prohibited in the national parks and what we did was not not allowed.

The only justification that I have is that we only started the drone when we were sure that no other party was camping at Baines and that there was no game around (at least we did not see any). With hindsight I think we could have been wrong about wildlife as we noted the very fresh elephant dung not far from the baobabs the next morning. We flew relatively high in order not to disturb the birds.

Here more photos of Baines at sunrise.

Name:	_DSC6017.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	523.2 KB 
ID:	511794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6018.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	511795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6028.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	511796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5991.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	511797  

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Hi cheabb78,

as far as I know the use of drones is prohibited in the national parks and what we did was not not allowed.

The only justification that I have is that we only started the drone when we were sure that no other party was camping at Baines and that there was no game around (at least we did not see any). With hindsight I think we could have been wrong about wildlife as we noted the very fresh elephant dung not far from the baobabs the next morning. We flew relatively high in order not to disturb the birds.

Ok, thanks for the feedback Anne_W...

Beautiful pics!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Hi cheabb78,

I don't think you disturbed anybody with the drone - but where to draw the line?

In principle they are not allowed in National Parks and even outside you would need a license to operate as a pilot (for unmanned objects - "yes" they defined such) and a radio license to use the particular frequency from BOCRA.

Now the catch is where to draw the line of disturbance or the legal issues.
    It seems much easier to just put the hurdles so high that nobody can comply with legalities.
    I am also sure it is very difficult to enforce.

Saying that, I still enjoy those pictures from high above.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Maun was our next stop for extensive shopping for the following 10 days. I always find shopping a tiresome task and was glad when we had finally stowed away all the fruit, vegetables, drinking water, beer and the indispensable rusks for our morning gamedrive.

As we were not sure how much time we would need for Baines in the morning and shopping in Maun we had not made any reservation for this night. Being a lot faster than expected we decided to head towards South Gate and hoped we would find space without a booking. We had seen quite a lot of game drive vehicles and self drivers in Maun and I was anxious if Moremi would be too busy. Well, it was busier than in January but in most of the camps (except for Third Bridge which was fully booked) there were only a maximum of 3 other camping parties. Chobe/Savuti was busier but by no means fully booked.

We arrived at South Gate in the afternoon and were assigned CV7, the same campsite where we had seen the wild dogs in January. Of course the whole area was a lot drier and we were told that there was no water at Xini Lagoon or Blackpools which left us a bit disappointed as we had planned to explore this part. Alas an evening game drive proved that they were right about Blackpools - the game was very scarce, nevertheless we enjoyed our first encounter with a group of elephants.
    At dinner we almost fell from our camping chairs when a hyena started to whoop only a few meters away. Thinking at first that some funny guy had turned up his loudspeakers to maximum volume in order to attract the beasts we soon discovered the culprit circling our campsite. Later our wildcam captured it inspecting the cam
    p.

Day 4:
    We were up early with the birds and with a flask of hot coffee and some rusks we were were ready for our first real game drive which took us to Bodumatau Hidden Vlei (AlexB and Pat 'n Wolf, thanks for the tip). Only a few minutes from South Gate we came upon 2 hyeanas who approached our car with big round eyes. Actually they can look really cute despite their infamous reputation.

A bit anxious that Hidden Vlei would also be dry we need not have worried: it is an extremely pretty wet area and we saw hundreds of elephants, big and small, bulls and families, all feeding peacefully in the reeds, drinking the clear lagoon water, crossing rivers and enjoying a cold spray. Hippos and lechwe, waterbuck and impala, water birds and giraffe - all seemed to know about such an oasis in this cruel land of thirst.

At some point we had to turn around as there was a deep pool of water together with a sign that the road was closed. So we turned around and had a second breakfast on our way back with a distant view of an endless stream of elephants.
    Later we met 2 guys from Portugal and England who commented that they had explored the Xini area the day before and that there was still a bit of water and good numbers of game. So it was decided that next day would lead us to Xini Lagoon on our way to the next camp: Third Bridge.
    No hyeana serenaded us that evening but like on the day before we spotted the resident genet - a graceful slender creature with lovely big eyes who left us all too soon when it found no goody at our campfire.

Name:	_D720214.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	511826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720219.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	511827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720229.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	511828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6041.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	511829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720249.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	511830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720256.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	511831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720259.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	511832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720264.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	511833  

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

continued

Name:	_D720283.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	511834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720314.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	358.2 KB 
ID:	511835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6061.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	511836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720323.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	443.3 KB 
ID:	511837  

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Default Botswana November 2018: Of heat and dust and life and death

Hi cheabb78,

The only justification that I have is (...)
    Sorry to say but your behavior is embarrassing and selfish!
    There is no justification, especially as you have been well aware but decided for the sake of some pictures to disregard the rules and to disrespect the nature you pretend to honor.
    If you have any idea how animals may get scared and get into panic by drones you would (hopefully) not even think about using it.
    And if you have ever watched raptors I doubt that you statement to have used the drone higher to avoid disturbing birds was higher than on the altitude raptors usually go.
    Last edited by Rookie2014; 2018/12/03 at 12:17 AM.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rookie2014 For This Useful Post:

I agree with Rookie2014. I could not say it any better.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollydog For This Useful Post:

Rookie2014 and hollydog, your valid objections are noted and we will keep it in mind for the future.

Day 5:

Early next morning we headed towards Xini Lagoon, an area of which we have very fond memories. The part closer to the main road was very dry and empty but the further we went south the greener it was. We saw a honey badger in the distance and tried to get a good shot - alas he proved to be a spoilsport and kept hiding in thick bush.

Matthias has a natural instinct for finding the right areas for game drives and while he is driving he manages to tell me about creatures that I did not even notice despite eagery peering into the bush. We decided to watch the lechwe at a particularly green area that had shallow water pools when Matthias pointed out a lioness that moved through the plain and was soon hidden behind an earth mound. Slowly, one by one more lions trickeled out of the bush and all went behind the mound so we decided to head that way and see if we could find them. There was already one game drive vehicle and we counted a total of 14 lions, it must have been the Xini Lagoon pride and they all lay flat on the ground and looked as if they would not get up before sunset. Suddenly however, one of the lions must have heard something, they all got up, as if drawn by some invisible line, attentive, ears pricked forward, attracked by something that we could not see nor hear. Something clearly had all their attention, they swiftly moved into the higher grass and we soon lost sight of them. The 2 game drive vehicles decided to drive to the other side of the pan while we stayed with the 2 lionesses that they left behind. It did not take long until we saw yet another lioness coming out of the bush, she was very interested in the remaining group of lechwe, crouched down and made herself almost invisible. We held our breath - would we witness an attack? A minute later the lioness jumped forward but either the attack was half-hearted or she did not choose the right moment, there was no real danger for the antelopes. Realising her failure the lioness nonchalantly moved towards the 2 remaining lionesses as if nothing had happened. Still the fun was not over as yet another lioness appeard out of nowhere, she crouched down to drink out of the shallow pools but could not ignore the francolins right next to her and started to playfully harrass them like only cats will do. Once the 4 lionesses were reunited they seemed to be ready for a lazy late morning and we left them in high spirits, happy that our spell of the invisible lions of Moremi was broken.

After such an eventful morning we decided to have a 2nd breakfast in the Hidden Vlei area. Fresh fruit with a lovely distant view of some hippos and we had just finished when Matthias jumped up with an excited shout: Lions at the other side of the lagoon! He had seen a giraffe fleeing with long drawn-out strides and 4 lions following her at high speed. Never have we managed to pack all our belongings so quickly and we drove towards the lucky giraffe that had escaped and was watching her enemies with distrust and curiosity. The lions had clearly given up on their prey and were making themselves comfortable, with the big old male already/still (?) fast asleep, he seemed to be so tired that he could hardly bring himself to opening his eyes.
    Wow, 2 prides of lions within only 2 hours - this could not get much better. Little did we know what later awaited us on our safari...

Name:	_D720349.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	511908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720353.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	511909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720359.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	511910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720368.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	511911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720370.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	511912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720371.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	511913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720373.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	511914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720412.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	349.2 KB 
ID:	511915  

Name:	_D720421.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	511916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720428.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	511917  

35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

continued

Name:	_D720440.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	511918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720447.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	511919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720472.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	398.9 KB 
ID:	511920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720558.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	511921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720517.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	511922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720522.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	511923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720534.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	464.5 KB 
ID:	511924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_D720541.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	415.3 KB 
ID:	511925  

Name:	_D720550.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	511926  

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast