VPN setup with MWEB

Default VPN setup with MWEB

Any members out there who uses a VPN with MWEB as ISP? I recently tried configuring ExpressVPN on my MWEB account using an ASUS router. The PPPoE connection seems the biggest issue, MWEB does not offer DHCP on my Octotel fiber line. The assistance from MWEB is shocking.

Default Re: VPN setup with MWEB

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Any members out there who uses a VPN with MWEB as ISP? I recently tried configuring ExpressVPN on my MWEB account using an ASUS router. The PPPoE connection seems the biggest issue, MWEB does not offer DHCP on my Octotel fiber line. The assistance from MWEB is shocking.
    I find MWEB service shocking and useless. Pity I have them on fibre for home use.
    Roberto Forbes
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

I might be misinterpreting your question, but the VPN setup has got nothing to do with your ISP or router. If you can connect normally without VPN, install the VPN software on the user device and configure it there.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I might be misinterpreting your question, but the VPN setup has got nothing to do with your ISP or router. If you can connect normally without VPN, install the VPN software on the user device and configure it there.
    True, although I specifically bought and installed a VPN capable router (not all routers are capable, especially those cheap and nasty ones you get from your ISP). The reason I want to run the VPN on my router is to prevent configuring it multiple times over for all my devices. These devices include Smart TVs, computers and mobile devices.
    I thus want to seamlessly run (for example) Netflix on multiple devices using the VPN connection on only my router.

Ah ok, have you tried this? For a Dlink, but the config should be similar.
    Last edited by George; 2019/07/08 at 03:15 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Ah ok, have you tried this? For a Dlink, but the config should be similar.
    Yep, exactly that. And although the config I received from ExpressVPN gets successfully installed on the router (ASUS) the moment I activate it my fiber connection drops. I've been told it's because Octotel (fiber provider) does not have DHPC connection type and only supports PPPoE. Talking to tech support for an alternative option (My ISP is MWEB) is like asking the till lady at the local SPAR for the Ouma Rooi koeksister recipe.

Got a call from an MWEB techy thanks to a member's intervention. Not resolved yet but at least I'm now talking to someone.