Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners.

Good Evening fellow community members.

I've been stuck in this predicament for some time now and i cant seem to decide.

I'm in the market for a vehicle. i have narrowed the search down to the following vehicles -

Ford Everest 3.2 XLT 4x4
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 gd6 4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6 4 door
    Toyota FJ Cruiser.

All above mentioned vehicles will be auto.

Im not to fused about Fuel Consumption as this wont be a Daily driver. It will be a weekend toy/getaway vehicle.

This is what i've come up with thus far,

Ford Everest :
    1. Very Spacious
    2. Lots of torque
    3. Comfortable drive
    4. Interior is nice!!
    5. Not sure of off-road capabilities. I had a 3.2 ranger XLT which i was quite happy with. but i do want a SUV.

Toyota Fortuner :
    1. Its a Toyota, very reliable. haven't heard much bad things about the gd6.
    2. Good resale value
    3. Parts are easily accessible
    4. Drives very well on the road.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon :
    1. The most capable vehicle on this list, off-road
    2. Plenty of modifications around.
    3. Fun to drive
    4. you can take the roof and doors off.

Toyota FJ Cruiser :
    1. I feel like its a cross between a fortuner and Rubicon
    2. nice interior
    3. Strong motor
    4. like the look of the vehicle.

I plan on adding bigger wheels, suspension, roofrack and steel bumpers to the vehicle.

I definitely will be taking the vehicle on trails (weekend toy). As well as weekend getaways with my wife and two dogs. So space is a must.

• Which one would you recommend and why?
    • Where would one find accessories for the FJ Cruiser?
    • What have you done to your vehicle to better off-road capabilities?
    • Do you regret buying yours?
    • What problems have you had with your choice of the 4

Thanks Guys,

your input is greatly appreciated. This has been a very hard choice for me, but im leaning towards the cruiser.

I want to make sure i make the right decision, and wont regret it.

I have driven all of the above vehicles.

Default Re: Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners.

FJ for sure.

It is as you say the midway between Fortuner and Jeep.

Prado under pinning so reliable and capable.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

My choice would be FJ as well from the list, lots of accessories available, very capable and Toy will stop production in 2019. I have owned a FJ before and of all vehicles sold this is the one I regret most.

Jeep Rubicon is a nice and very capable toy, the only downfall for me would be maintenance outside service plan which is mega expensive and Jeep’s value tumbles like crazy.

The Everest and Fortuner is more inclined to a daily and tour vehicle than trail/toy.

My 2c.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

FJ every time. It’s an absolute great car and amazing toy!

I have a FJ and a JK. While I love them both, they serve different purposes. JK is my daily runaround and weekend toy. FJ is my wife’s run around and our touring vehicle. So without choosing one over the other, you need to weigh up your needs vs wants.

............. FJ certainly more comfortable.
    Ross

The downside to the FJ are those stupid suicide doors.

You can pick up a 2012 JK Unlimited Rubi for cheap these days, the 3.6 engine is solid and if it has a service history, not much goes wrong with them. Spares and service items are about the same price as Toyota, and also remember that the US is a HUGE resource for after market spares and service items.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Stan, I've gone through a pretty similar exercise recently and the FJ was high on the list, almost bought one. In the end I bought a Prado for the practicality.
    If the rear doors of the FJ is not a problem, go for it for all the reasons mentioned already. Clearly the difference netween a JK and an FJ is the one is ever so lsightly more off road biased and the other more on road. You decide which option suits you best.
    The Everest is sort of in the same league as the Prado, I'm just not a Ford fan so did not seriously consider it. But I'm sure it will be a contender.
    I had a Fortuner previously, (previous model) and it is a very nice practical vehicle though quality, trim and ride comfort not in the same league as the Prado/FJ. Don't know the new one at all.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Stan just go buy a Pajero Sport.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Had to choose between the Rubicon and FJ too.
    Did not like the way most roofracks mount on the rubicon (Drill holes through the roof, or import a very expensive setup that bolts to the back of the jeep), and we do not intend to do big rock crawling so went for the FJ.
    Owned 2 Wranglers before in my life and i must say, i prefer the FJ.
    I have two teenage kids and the back doors have not once been a problem. Not sure why people say it is an issue but hey.

Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Stan just go buy a Pajero Sport.
    Havent even thought about it.

I know the super select gearbox is fantastic, however im not a huge fan. i've owned the triton 3.2 and it was a fantastic vehicle. however in my opinion there's better cars out there.

Go for the FJ

I am an absolute Pajero fan and have been blessed to have had owned several of these bullet proof vehicles including a 3.2 PajSport.
    I have recently sold my 8th Pajero simply because the FJ has become the family favourite and resulting in the Pajero standing for weeks on end without being used.

The FJ is not as spacious as the 5door Pajero but our two youngest daughters who are still at home (7&9) enjoy the vehicle and do not have any issues with the rear doors.
    I am looking at purchasing a set of aftermarket Opening windows for the rear doors just to give the girls a chance to control their own fresh air.

The FJ's suspension has been upgraded with an Ironman system and 50mm lift and I am running larger than std BF Goodrich tyres.
    Our group of friends get out once a month and are regulars to Berakah in Parys and 3 provinces trails where the FJ's have proven themselves to be almost unstoppable and effortless when faced with almost any obstacle.

The most important mods I have done to my FJ was chucking out the crappy factory sound system and installing something I would have sold a kidney for when I was 18.
    Other major mod (plastic surgery) I have done was remove all toyota badging as I am really not a toyota fan. The FJ is the most un-toyota of all toyotas and does not deserve to be cursed with carrying that name. Only badging I have is "FJ"

Other mods:
    Long range tank
    Roof rack
    Decent air horn/hooter to move cattle and donkeys out of the road

I had a Jeep but with all the costs for repairs, I am lucky to still have the Tshirt

The other 2 vehicles I have never owned but all I can say is you would not regret purchasing the FJ or a 3.2 PajSport

Life is too short to drive a boring car.......EJ

Oh yes! I also have one of those damn LED light bars for removing BMW's and Rangers from the fast lane.

Talking Re: Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
    Go for the FJ

I am an absolute Pajero fan and have been blessed to have had owned several of these bullet proof vehicles including a 3.2 PajSport.
    I have recently sold my 8th Pajero simply because the FJ has become the family favourite and resulting in the Pajero standing for weeks on end without being used.

The FJ is not as spacious as the 5door Pajero but our two youngest daughters who are still at home (7&9) enjoy the vehicle and do not have any issues with the rear doors.
    I am looking at purchasing a set of aftermarket Opening windows for the rear doors just to give the girls a chance to control their own fresh air.

The FJ's suspension has been upgraded with an Ironman system and 50mm lift and I am running larger than std BF Goodrich tyres.
    Our group of friends get out once a month and are regulars to Berakah in Parys and 3 provinces trails where the FJ's have proven themselves to be almost unstoppable and effortless when faced with almost any obstacle.

The most important mods I have done to my FJ was chucking out the crappy factory sound system and installing something I would have sold a kidney for when I was 18.
    Other major mod (plastic surgery) I have done was remove all toyota badging as I am really not a toyota fan. The FJ is the most un-toyota of all toyotas and does not deserve to be cursed with carrying that name. Only badging I have is "FJ"

Other mods:
    Long range tank
    Roof rack
    Decent air horn/hooter to move cattle and donkeys out of the road

I had a Jeep but with all the costs for repairs, I am lucky to still have the Tshirt

The other 2 vehicles I have never owned but all I can say is you would not regret purchasing the FJ or a 3.2 PajSport

Life is too short to drive a boring car.......EJ

Oh yes! I also have one of those damn LED light bars for removing BMW's and Rangers from the fast lane.
    This is Golden!

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
    Go for the FJ

Brilliant!!!
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

I would group the Everest and the Fortuner. Everest the next best alternative to a Prado, comfortable luxary allround suv, Fortuner the cheaper alternative, still a Toyota but with compromises to a Prado.

The Wrangler and FJ goes in the same group. The Wrangler is built to do one thing and that it to put a smile on your face! Having owned one I can say that it is the vehicle out of about 30 that I really miss after selling it, yes its quirky but that is the charm. The FJ is like a Wrangler but without the stuff that makes the Wrangler exciting to own.

The FJ looks cool and it is reliable squared but it lacks the Jeep fun/ cool factor. So it comes down to what you want from the vehicle.
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swambo’s sportscar/ mommy taxi)

How good is this.... to die for..... and in my garage by Sunday.

Name:  30260648-C1E2-47D1-84E7-96D9B29812D7.jpeg
Views: 1624
Size:  39.2 KB
    I have owned a super modified TJ Wrangler and yes it was fun, but cannot compare to a FJ.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

Congrats Dirk!!!
    Mark Trollope
    Prado 120 V6, Fortuner V6, Hilux 2.7, Cruiser 80 EFi, Cruiser 75, Lexus RX350, Jaguar JAKI4

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post

I have owned a super modified TJ Wrangler and yes it was fun, but cannot compare to a FJ.
    I know where you bought this

it was one of the vehicles i was looking at buying.

Congrats Sir!

Quick on the draw and SWAMBO’s persuation .

Stan.the.man be patient if you can, and seeing as you know where this one comes from, perhaps they will have another soon
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post

That looks awesome!!!!! Congrats. FJ still one of the Toyotas I wouldn't mind in my garage!!!!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

A Jeep Wrangler is the vehicle that I regret selling the most.

Are there safer cars? Yes. Are there faster cars? Yes. Are there more fuel efficient cars? Yes. Are there cheaper cars to maintain? Yes. Are there cars that keep their value better? Yes....

But, the Jeep has a spirit. It has something special about it on and off the road with the roof off on a sunny day. It has something of a dream car about it.

I’m yet to come across a kid saying “one day when I grow up, my dream car that id love to own one day is a Toyota”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast