Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners.

Quote Originally Posted by FDB View Post
    The FJ is not the right vehicle for lets say 4 avid wildlife photographers no. Nor would a SWB Jeep wrangler be good for that as an example. Those vehicles appeal to a different market segment.
    Saying the doors on the FJ are stupid across the board does not make sense.
    The OP has a wife and two dogs.
    I suppose the dogs will be in the back by the small windows, and him and the wife in the front.
    The rear doors therefore should not be an issue for him whatsoever. Unless i am missing something?

Personal opinions don't always make sense to others, that's why they are called personal opinions.

I however agree with everything else.
    It's pretty easy to remove the rear seats, as long as you keep the back rests in. Anything smaller than a boerboel can actually jump in and out via the suicide doors, if the rear seats are folded flat. Practicality of those doors is in the eye of the beholder...
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    A JK Wrangler is built by Jeep not Landrover!
    Wow!.....daar leer ek ook iets...... But seriously though, I was purely referring to the reliability issue. I have not owned a JK but unless I misunderstood the posts from Jeep owners, I got the idea that the FJ is higher up on the reliability stakes. If not the case, ignore my post...

Great shortlist and either option will make you smile.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Until the day you take the roof off the Jeep or even just the two Freedom panels in the front..... then you will know why you bought the Jeep instead!
    You get pipe doors for the FJ which will eliminate the doors issue for many. It looks quite snazzy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by FDB View Post
    The FJ is not the right vehicle for lets say 4 avid wildlife photographers no. Nor would a SWB Jeep wrangler be good for that as an example. Those vehicles appeal to a different market segment.
    Saying the doors on the FJ are stupid across the board does not make sense.
    The OP has a wife and two dogs.
    I suppose the dogs will be in the back by the small windows, and him and the wife in the front.
    The rear doors therefore should not be an issue for him whatsoever. Unless i am missing something?
    Exactly that! Im not fused about the rear doors at all. I have two medium sizes dogs. The back seat has more then enough space for them.

I look forward to see what you choose Stan. Damn...when I was 27 I had to be happy with a Opel Monza GSI.... You are very fortunate
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    I look forward to see what you choose Stan. Damn...when I was 27 I had to be happy with a Opel Monza GSI.... You are very fortunate
    Thank you Kind Sir. Hey, the Opel Monza GSi was a good car in its time.

I have chosen a FJ cruiser. I think i've done enough research and asked enough questions to have made my mind up. Now the hunt for a FJ begins.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan.the.man For This Useful Post:

You will not be sorry. Remember to post a picture on the FJ thread once you get it
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    maak nie saak nie, hulle is stupid

dis my opinie en ek bly daarby

Dankie vir jou antwoord.

Bevestig maar net weereens dat jy niks van 'n FJ Cruiser (en meer) weet nie....

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    I have a FJ and a JK. While I love them both, they serve different purposes. JK is my daily runaround and weekend toy. FJ is my wifeís run around and our touring vehicle. So without choosing one over the other, you need to weigh up your needs vs wants.

............. FJ certainly more comfortable.
    Stan. Wat my goeie vriend R Mackay hierbo sÍ is, bitter waar. Op die ou ent van die dag gaan dit maar oor jou persoonlike voorkeure, smaak, betroubaarheid, wat jy met die voertuig aan doen ens. Die JK 2 deur, veral die Rubicon, is baie nice en is ek persoonlik nie mal oor die 4 deur nie. JKs is baie nice, maar eks verkies die FJ Cruiser.

Sterkte met jou besluit.

Quote Originally Posted by uysventura View Post
    Dankie vir jou antwoord.

Bevestig maar net weereens dat jy niks van 'n FJ Cruiser (en meer) weet nie....
    ja ek weet niks, nog nooit gesÍ ek weet iets nie, maar ek kan sien jy is 'n bitter klein mens
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    ja ek weet niks, nog nooit gesÍ ek weet iets nie, maar ek kan sien jy is 'n bitter klein mens

Dankie dat jy bevestig dat jy NIKS weet nie. Te danke aan GOOGLE, maak jy wel of jy iets weet. Shame...

Tyd om my "ignore list" op te dateer... Sonder twyfel is ek nie die enigste een nie...

Hi

I did not read all the threads, apologies if I am duplicating. I have a Ford Ranger 3.2 DC & FJ Cruiser. Both with after market suspension etc, & both doing a lot of dirt road.

Ford Everest is different than the DC I know but I think my feedback will be relevant.

the Ford is is actually the best cruiser for long distances. Smooth comfortable and cruise control is great. I use for towing caravan and long distance overland like Botswana where you need to take everything with - Fuel consumption realistic enough to drive every day.

The FJ is not a "cruiser" for the open road if you expect a smooth cruise control and travel more than 110km/h. Cruise control hunts and fuel consumption is painful.

If you want a toy that can do real tough stuff - take the FJ. Daily runner is cool, if you have the wallet for the petrol. My FJ turns heads and makes off-road tracks easy - almost like cheating I love it!

If you want a competent off road that is comfortable and reasonable on fuel, the Ford is better and probably more practical.

No experience in the others but I expect the Rubicon will fall in the same category as the FJ, just probably not as reliable..... (Just kidding Jeep fanatics)

So practical or play, that is the decision.
    Ek sukkel nie my petrol uit nie
    Ford Ranger DC 3.2 4x4, FJ Cruiser,Ford Kuga 2.5T AWD and some 2WD commuters

Quote Originally Posted by uysventura View Post

Tyd om my "ignore list" op te dateer... Sonder twyfel is ek nie die enigste een nie...
    Yep, jy gaan nou op myne wees, troll.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

The FJ for sure. My wife drives the FJ and I drive a Cruiser pickup. We also have a "platkar" (Golf Tdi) but when we go on holiday - or to the shops - it is the FJ that gets the most attention.

Is strong, fast, handles well, amassing 4x4, MUCH lighter on fuel than my Cruiser although the same engine, etc. etc.

The perfect all rounder.

Good Morning

I own both a Toyota 3,0 D 4 d.... Automatic....200 000 km on clock

and A FJ cruiser. 100 000 km on clock

Prefer the Diesel for Cross Border and the FJ for local.

Only normal services conducted thus far. All the bells and whistles on the Legend
    FJ has quite a few accessories. Standard and available here in South Africa

I have not driven any of your other two choices. My pick of the four vehicles will be the FJ Cruiser

Regards
    Peru Pillay (tridents)

Kry vir jou die FJ. Hulle petrolverbruik is astronomies
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2012 Sport FJ Cruiser "Black&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"

Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

I recently went through this exact scenario over the last 2 months minus the ford (I've worked on many not owned one.)

I am a massive Toyo fan and currently have a 2010 auto 4x4 hilux with 200k on the clock.

Wife wanted an SUV: something that had a good carrying capacity aswell as be a dynamic vehicle. She didn't want a fortuner because everyone has one so that was removed from the list.
    We are also going to use it for advertising our company.

We were then focused on a 4door wrangler or an FJ.

The FJ is awesome and super spacious (Individual front arm rests are amazing)
    Toyota comfort and reliability.
    The sound system from Toyota is always rubbish so you would want to change that
    In the front it feels like a two door (Lots of space up front)
    The boot space is great and if you put down the passenger seats it is a large space.
    I have heard from everyone that it is an amazing 4x4 vehicle.

Less space in the back compared to the 4door JK
    NO removable top.

WRT the wrangler my cousin has always owned one and when we went to LA and Vegas last year we rented a 4 Door Wrangler with a 3.6 pentastar and it drove us through the american desert with 4 people in the car and 4 23-30kg bags in the back and it didn't miss a beat. There was more than enough space for everything and everyone.

The benefits that the wrangler has over the FJ is that you can open the roof and have a real 4 door SUV aswell.
    The 3.6 is great, it purrs like a kitten and the gearbox shifts really well.

Services are slightly more expensive compared to Toyota vehicles.
    The standard sound system is great (Alpine or Infinity) and fills the car really well

We just lost out on a deal for an FJ with replacement bumpers, wheels, suspension, roof racks and a winch and 175k km.
    A day later i found a wrangler with replacement bumpers, winch, wheels, leather seats, soft top and the original bumpers and 115k km on the clock (I may never meet this guy but it really seems he took care of his Jeep)

At the end of the day the versatility of the roof on the wrangler won me over aswell as the price and extras we got.
    As a Toyo man i would have absolutely loved the FJ aswell but i really liked what the wrangler offered me.

With that being said it is purely what draws you to it. Both of these vehicles are the equivalent of high end sports cars in 4x4 terms. When you walk into your garage and see the car you wanna smile like you just walked into the bedroom and your partner is stark naked on the bed. That type of excitement is what makes it worthwhile whether it is a Toyo, Jeep or Ford

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MR_TRD For This Useful Post:

• Which one would you recommend and why? The FJ - loved it and forever regret selling it. Best 4x4 EVER
    • Where would one find accessories for the FJ Cruiser? They're around... from Toyota, Forum members and ARB, Rhino, etc... lots of options. A Front Runner slimline roof rack looked and worked great
    • What have you done to your vehicle to better off-road capabilities? It came with a 150l fuel tank which was a big win. A bull bar with LED light bar that came with my demo added value...
    • Do you regret buying yours? Never. I regret selling it
    • What problems have you had with your choice of the 4 - It's a 2-person vehicle only and the back passenger windows not opening was not ideal... Blind spots make driving tricky...

Red face Re: Calling all Fj Cruiser/Wrangler/Fortuner and Everest owners.

What a interesting thread. My FJ 2012 (aka Curiosity) but has done 60,000 only and has given no major issues except tyre roar on the N2? It is still as good as new but the wife hates it as she is small and a photographer of Game(she has a defender puma which menaces the traffic and crunches gears). The dog and I love it. At max 110 km I get average in Cape Metro area of 11,5 litres per /100. If I want to half that I can out pace the Toyota sports car!

Would I swop it for any of above? No Jeeps since friends have had them with major gearbox issues, Fortuner maybe but would be a downgrade and Everest (I am off Fords ever since the fire fiasco and they nearly ruined Land Rover ). My son has Freelander 2 which if still on the market If updated would beat all of these( see Evoque R1m? and Disco Sport?) I await to see new defender,

The bush beating Toyotas LC are pigs to drive on road and these days endless complaints about new model s being complex.

We really are running out of the Africa all purpose. Now if I could put more windows and sunroof in the Curiosity that would be fun

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Cape Town For This Useful Post:

please help me out herehow do I join the SA FJ Cruiser Club WhatsApp group?Chris084 900 6899
    Chris Stockwell
    Toyota FJ cruiser
    BMW 1600 GT M/Cycle

"If it ain't fun, I ain't doin it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast