Volvo XC60 Translation: The "S" in SUV from "snow" to "sand"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Volvo XC60 Translation: The "S" in SUV from "snow" to "sand"

Tyres
    The original tyres, although it had only 18000km on and were in very good condition, was completely unfit for purpose. See below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyres.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	511242

Once on loose surfaces, you would be going nowhere fast as there is almost a complete lack of cross-sipes, except on the shoulder.

I’ve always admired the Pirelli Scorpions, as it is a 50/50 onroad/offroad tyre without looking overly aggressive. I test drove them on my Freelander many years back, having swopped them from a friend’s car in order to diagnose the whining rear differential.

The OEM tyres on the LR2 were Goodyear Wrangler HP, and these tyres sensitized me to heel/toe tread block wear, and the whining noise that steadily increase as the tyres wear, to the point that you cannot stand it anymore.

So, ideally, I did not want a blocky tread, and the Pirellis were perfect.

As explained in the Review thread, I not only wanted a more offroad oriented tyre, but also a softer ride and better deflatability. User reviews indicated that the Pirellis go down nicely to 0.8bar, so this was another plus point. Then, I have not read any complaints regarding these tyres on LR Discoveries, where they are a popular choice.

So by going to the next width – 235 to 255 - and maintaining the profile – 55 – the sidewall height would effectively increase by 10mm. But would these tyres fit?

Enter Chrisbad, fellow forumite/Freelander friend, who had exactly this width tyre in a 60 profile on 18” wheels, giving the same diameter as 55 on a 19” wheel.

So with his help (thanks, Chris!) we transferred two of his Freelander’s wheels onto the front of the Volvo and went for a test drive. The aim was to evaluate the following:

• · Is the ride any better
    • · Are the tyres quiet enough
    • · Does the effective 3% taller gearing affect the driveability of the car
    • · Do the tyres clear the wheel wells at extreme steering angles

As they say, a resounding success:

• · Noticeably so. You still feel the imperfections, but not as defined as before, and it also sounds a lot less violent. Still not the Freelander 2, though.
    • · Cannot hear them.
    • · Yes - it is better. There is now a “sweet spot” at 50km/h, from where the car accelerates so smoothly, it is satisfying.
    • · Yes. I could get my fingertips in between the tyre and wheel arch liner at full lock, both ways.

Lift
    In terms of appearance, the front wheel arch did look a bit “full”, with noticeably less space between the top of the new tyres and the fender than at the rear – refer image in Review article. It is not perspective which makes the front clearance appear less – it is.

To fix this, I installed my last set of Freelander 2 spacers above the front struts - these:

Name:	PE Spacers.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	516236

Although the Volvo has different strut and spring rates, it has an otherwise identical front suspension layout. The wheel arch gaps front and rear are now equal, with the front looking like this:

Name:	Lift Front.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	511243

The car now pulled left, but following alignment - only the RH toe was slightly out of spec - it now runs perfectly straight.

Clearance
    Updated image showing how well tucked in everything is underneath the car. You start wondering where they hid the "pumpkin" .

Name:	Underneath.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	514797

The ground clearance on the centre-line all the way from the front to the back is now a minimum of 260 (yes, two hundred and sixty) mm, with approach and departure angles of 24° and 27° respectively.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/01/14 at 07:57 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Volvo XC60 Translation: The "S" in SUV from "snow" to "sand"

From outside of the forum, I had a query regarding the effect of the larger wheels on the speedometer reading.

Generally car speedos are calibrated to over indicate for safety and possibly for the manufacturer to avoid litigation in case of accidents/speed traps.

Mathematically, the speedometer will UNDERread by the % tyre increase and vice versa. In this case, 3%. Not having verified the accuracy of speed indication vs a GPS prior to changing tyres, the difference could not be determined by calculation.

So this morning on the way to work, I compared the speedo reading with that of a windscreen mounted Garmin.

The Volvo having a digital instrument cluster, has a number of display screens, one of them being speed indication in huge digital letters, so you do not have to guess which scale marking on the dial the needle is closest to. This made it easy to compare, with both the GPS and speedo in your general field of view.

Spot checks were made at 60, 80 and 100km/h, and the indication is spot-on. Not even to the nearest 1km/h - EXACTLY. Traffic did not permit verification at higher speeds but this should track linearly. If not, I will report here. The indication at 120km/h is slightly under, i.e. when the speedo claims 120km/h, the GPS indicated 122km/h.

One thing I did note, was how the GPS speed update lagged that of the car speedo due to the signal processing prior to displaying the new value. This took several seconds.

In other news, the new sump guard has been promised to be done by today, so hopefully I can report on this installation by Monday.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/02/17 at 10:42 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Sump Guard
    Part A
    Although the plate was collected on Friday – perfectly cut and bent – it turns out that either the raw material or the bending process warped the plate so out of flat that it was not possible to fit and I can therefore not report on the installation. Hopefully this can be remedied early coming week, reported on in Part B.

With the view that there may be others who also want to attempt this model of DIY – where you do the design, but the manufacture is contracted out - this part of the report has been written as a high level tutorial, to demonstrate that it really is not rocket science.

The important things are

• to be able to spot what is wrong with the current solution
    • have a plan to set it straight.

Of course, there may be nothing wrong with it, but you may feel that for your application a different solution would be better.

The situation reminds me of the equivalent of a Ford Meme from school days, way back. It started with Fords’ slogan at the time: “Ford has a better idea”, with below: “They are going to stop making cars”.

What it does take, is a lot of time, and rarely does Plan A work. But, take heart, by Plan D, things start converging.

So, on to Plan D, then.

Design
    As mentioned, the standard sump guard was lacking in the following respects:

• Too flimsy - would not prevent objects penetrating
    • Not full coverage of the under-engine area
    • Numerous openings allowing ingress of small items/dirt/water from the road surface.

See below:

Name:	Old lr.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	511799
    The design process followed was:

• A cardboard template was made to the desired shape. Many iterations were required
    • The template shape was transferred to MS Visio
    • A number of iterative fullscale test prints were made to verify against the template
    • The final update was cut out of Correx to have a more rigid model to check the fit
    • This drawing was then exported as a dxf file
    • The file was sent to a waterjet contractor for a quote
    • The supplied 1m x 1.2m Al plate was cut and folded as indicated.

The initial half centre-to-right template is shown below, with an outline trace of the OEM version:

Name:	Template Start lr.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	511804

And during one of the dozens of fittings:

Name:	Template Fit lr.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	511811

Plate Material
    Similar offerings by overseas companies - still with the original, undersized footprint – are made from 2mm painted steel plate. This is possibly fine for driving on paved surfaces in European conditions, but for off-road use, any painted protection is not practical.

As the new plate was around 30% larger than the existing one, calculation showed that if it was made from, say, 3mm stainless steel, it would weigh around 20kg.

It was therefore decided to rather make it from 4mm 5754 H22 grade Al, selected specifically for its anti-corrosive properties. This would limit the mass to 9kg.

Here is what the (unfitting) plate looks like, being finished off with edge rounding.

Name:	Plate lr.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	511803

Mounting
    Additional hard points were required to attach the front of the plate, as it goes "where no plate has gone before". These were created by devising an extension of the two existing M12 bolts attaching the front cross-brace to the “chassis”.

To these two mounting pillars, was attached a length of 40x40x3 angle which was set to the upward slope of the nose of the car to blend the front edge of the plate in.

Like so:

Name:	Bar lr.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	511805

Note the slit just beyond the countersunk hole. This allows the tags at each to be cranked to an offset to provide a mounting surface at any required angle, in this case 6°.

At the back, 4 of the existing attachment points will be used with custom spacers to compensate for the different heights.

If all goes to plan, the new plate design should also improve the ground clearance at the front by an additional few mm.

Ventilation holes were not provided, as the plate was lowered below the original mounting surface, allowing air to enter from the sides.
    A single cut-out was however made to accommodate the fixed part of the rear engine mount, which hangs lower than the rest of the engine.

The once yearly removal of the plate prior to the car going in for a service was not regarded as sufficient a nuisance to provide for access to the oil drain plug or filter.

It takes only the removal of 7 fasteners to remove the plate. Given the ample ground clearance of the car, this is quite an easy activity, allowing a battery drill to be used for removing/fastening the screws without raising the vehicle.

Fit
    The failure to fit could either be caused by starting off with a non-flat plat, but the warp is more than 20mm, so this would have been immediately noticeable. Alternatively, the 6° horizontal bend was initially overdone and in an effort to straighten it slightly, the two flat sections extending from the bend, was warped to such an extent, that although the plate was perfectly cut and all the holes lined up, it was completely out of alignment by the time the fasteners were in. So it did fit, of sorts.

It therefore has to go back on Monday to see whether it can be fixed. I have been using both supplier and contractor for the past 8 years, with very good results, this being the first time this has happened.

I have no doubt that they will make good on this problem, whatever the solution. All it will cause is a bit of a delay in the final fit and reporting here.

Sorry.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/02 at 04:30 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post. Please tell us more about the Volvo and post some pics. Your signature still states FL2

I have a friend that recently bought a brand new XC60 and I am well impressed with the new generation Volvo. Basically everything you could need in a car except for hard core 4x4ing.

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds
    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post. Please tell us more about the Volvo and post some pics. Your signature still states FL2

I have a friend that recently bought a brand new XC60 and I am well impressed with the new generation Volvo. Basically everything you could need in a car except for hard core 4x4ing.
    Hi Commander, pictures coming after holiday, signature will be fixed .

Your comment in red above, is spot-on.

Now that I mostly drive the Volvo, but switch back to the Freelander from time to time I realize the following:

The Land Rover has an incredible ride over any surface - paved, gravel, rutted, sand, due to its soft suspension and wheel travel - which goes together. All the modifications I did to the car - guard plates and lift kit - was to compensate for that incredible ride.

In hindsight, to achieve that ride a very underdamped response was required, which dissipated the road disturbance almost completely, so you did not feel it. The suspension therefore allowed the car body to get just that extra bit closer to the ground, requiring protection against contact.

Today I drove the Volvo for the first time on a very rutted farm road. On the deep ruts the ride is very supple with quite a bit of give, but on the small surface irregularities - pebbles, shale, loose stuff - it does not isolate well. I assume this lies in the valving of the damper, which is optimized for the first scenario, at the expense of the other - which is too stiff. But I can categorically state: No wallow!

In other news, here is how bad the warp on the bash plate is:

Name:	Warp lr.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1,010.7 KB 
ID:	512768

I collected it on Friday from the waterjet people - still as above - as they did not have a press to straighten it. So Monday a work colleague will assist using his 40 ton hydraulic press to rehabilitate the plate.

No guarantee that it will work, so first thing a visit to the plate supplier to show them what it looks like beFORE we start fiddling, as should the straightening process be unsuccessful, I will request a refund/new plate. R1700 is a bit much to just write off.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/01/26 at 09:53 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Sump Guard: Part B

My Al supplier offered to refund me for the plate, but I was out of time to have another one made - the waterjet outfit had already closed for the year.

So I said we should be able to reshape it so it fits and wished her a good Christmas and New Year. She reiterated likewise.

Back at work, we set up the plate in the press to straighten it.

It was an eye-opener to see how resilient that sheet of metal was – even in H22 condition. We knew we had to push it against the bend, beyond flat, until it permanently deformed and returned to a flatter shape. We approached this process little by little, backing off the press each time to see if the shape was better. Ultimately, it took a depression of 35mm (25mm was not enough) beyond flat, before it came back more or less neutral.

Good thing I knew my boilermaker colleague has years of experience, as the way he beat that front section of the sheet with a hammer on a flat steel bar to get the lip straightened, beggared belief. It would scare bigger men than me. Much bigger. But it worked and now fits nicely.

But it is not as pretty as I would have liked, as the weld spatter on his workbench has made some impressions on the other side. Still, the rocks, stones, sand and mud should not mind.

Drilling the final holes, the plate could now be attached properly for the first time. This is when I noticed that the fold is too shallow and should be 8° instead of 6°.

So I called my metalworking supplier to enquire whether their part-time bending guy is in and this is when I learnt they had already closed for the year.

Back at work - this time using a manual bending brake - after a few yanks on the counterweights and checking against a template I made the previous night, the bend was at a reasonable approximation of 8°.

It almost fitted, except I could now see the angle should be ummm... 10°. So that was fixed this morning.

Finally it now fitted as envisaged, cleaned up, imperfections (mostly) sanded out – ja, I know it goes underNEATH the car where no one sees it, and it is supposed to get dented. But still….

Anyway, here it is:

Name:	Prototype lr.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	513104

The image also illustrates from the other end how well tucked in and clean the underside of the car is.

A quick spin round the block and over a couple of speed humps did not result in Knock, Rattle or Buzz.

The lowest point is at the bend, where the static ground clearance is 260mm.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/12 at 06:09 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Is it not going to eventually go back to its pre-beaten shape and stress your mounting points?

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Is it not going to eventually go back to its pre-beaten shape and stress your mounting points?
    bent is bent

only hi carbon steel has extreme resistance to permanent bending as far as I know, and even that can be bent to shape under the right conditions of heat and pressure
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I must say the XC60 looks way nicer than any FL2............

What is the 4x4 system like?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Hi Newlandy, the angle the plate is bent at, is slightly sharper than required, so when the 3x M6 screws visible on the front lip are tightened - this does not screw into the car, but into the angle iron shown in an earlier post - the angle is slightly flattened, which pushes the rear, flat section of the plate against the other - original cover - attachment points.

So those 4 (Volvo) screws along the sides/back - selftappers into plastic inserts - do not carry any load but merely positions the plate and keep the rattles at bay. The holes for these screws are either slots or have good clearance, so the plate will be able to slide under the heads should it shape-shift.

Any knock from below, pushes the plate against these mounting surfaces, so the screws do not see this force, only the gravitational force downwards due to the mass of the plate - 2kg/screw.

I will monitor the situation, though, and should know after the 5000km over the next 2 weeks if there are any issues.

The plate of course gets quite warm to the touch due to the close proximity to the engine, so this may also contribute to the plate "liking" its shape after a while.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/12 at 06:31 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I must say the XC60 looks way nicer than any FL2............

What is the 4x4 system like?
    By design, the same as the Freelander 2, except for the various modes, which are not provided.

The car is now in a state where I am comfortable to go offroad to at least the extent that I have used the LR2.

So hopefully I'll get to the Walker Bay Nature Reserve or Die Plaat (Hermanus) to at least test it in sand this holiday.

I have a snatch strap and compressor, so the worst that can happen, is embarrasing myself, should I get stuck.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/12 at 08:38 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Progress

So today I did a brief evaluation of the:

• nose overhang limitation when entering upslopes
    • pull-off against inclines
    • the TC on cross-axles

All good.

A convenient earth mound at my workplace was used for this. Nothing too daring, as I need a look-out external to the car to give feedback on how close the various bits of the car get to the ground.

Here is a side view of the obstacle (also my new avatar):

Name:	Profile.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	513187

as well as a front 3/4 view showing the bash plate:

Name:	Three4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	332.4 KB 
ID:	513182

From this position I drove to the top of the mound to check the auto-release of the parking brake and also the traction of the new tyres. The car just pulled off as if it was level ground.

Next I cut diagonally across the base of the obstacle to a cross-axle position. One wheel was off the ground and the other just touching. From this stationary position some pedal was added and after brief initial wheel spin, the TC kicked in with the car pulling off normally.

So at this stage, no worse than the Freelander 2.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/13 at 12:52 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Sand Driving
    First off, apologies for:

• Not deflating tyres – for the benefit of those that came after
    • reporting a complete non-event

So today we went to evaluate the XC60 ability on the Walker Bay Fisherman’s Trail between Hermanus and Stanford, via Wortelgat. This place here:

Name:	Walker Bay.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	514047

The route starts at the entrance to the reserve, the permit office now being derelict – well actually, already unmanned since Dec 2016, when I last visited. This saved R200 entry for the 4 of us.

The trail is still in good condition though, with some sandy bypasses where the rocks have been exposed and look a bit rough. The tricky bit comes just after the bend following the 5km marker.

As this was an educational trip – mine – the idea was to do the sand runs at road pressure – 2.4 bar – see how far we got before the car bogged down, reverse down and progressively deflate the tyres until the optimal pressure was reached, after the nth attempt turned out successful.

3 video clips are provided. Two up of the same run from different viewpoints, as well as the return on the way home.

As per the spoiler above, it was somewhat disappointing when the car just kept going, staying on top of the sand. Due to the very wide angles of the 2 GoPro cameras used, the slope and nature of the sand is not accurately portrayed. It is a lot more intimidating than what the video shows.

Only in the final clip can some wheelspin be observed, kicking up a little sand, due to the speed dropping when taking the slight left bend. By the time the car disappears behind the bushes on the right, the TC has sorted this out, even changing up a gear. So, no reason to panic.

https://youtu.be/KUepvL3Vd00
    https://youtu.be/jxE_eLjcY60
    https://youtu.be/EJGcI-qu258

Below, two rather long clips – minutes of video showing a large section of the trail - for a general overview of the environment.

The first clip is actually the second part of the in-travel, from around the 4.5 km mark to where we stopped to inspect the sandy section. The second clip is the preceding 2.5 km.

https://youtu.be/S7tNYMx1eMA
    https://youtu.be/tmwk7NKWqpk

When you arrive at your destination and walk over the dune, this is your view:

Name:	IMG_20181224_120705.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	528.7 KB 
ID:	514062

The rocks in front - not the seated ones - used to be the famous Sopiesklip, which has now split into two. Like so:

Name:	IMG_20181224_114142.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	401.0 KB 
ID:	514063
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/30 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added images
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Awesome,thanks JJJ

Looking fwd to the full clip

By all accounts, a capable vehicle!!
    Freelander 2 i6 SE - loveeee iitttttt!
    650 V Strom - my trusty beast
    Honda XR400R - wanna play......
    Vespa - when you just have to be cool
    GT Expert and Giant Anthen MTB's - keeping the tummy in check

Sand Driving (cont)
    Further to my previous post, the following menu setting should be changed prior to attempting any terrain where the rear of the vehicle is expected to snake sideways - like on sand - without the TC trying to correct this by - usually - braking a wheel or removing power.

In the My XC60/Settings/Driver Settings select the following screen:

Name:	Menu.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	514087

Tick the ESC OFF box. This does not completely cut the Electronic Stability Control out, but dumbs it down somewhat. I do not know by what percentage, but from the first sand driving evaluation, I would say "sufficiently".

The City Safety box was left checked, even though there was no requirement to avoid pedestrians. However, I did get somewhat of a surprise as can be seen in the video clip below.

https://youtu.be/m2LmmVInvzQ

I did nothing to stop the car, but when the foliage swept over the bonnet, the anti-collision sensor - which is part of the rear view mirror window console - stopped the car almost on the spot. By the time you realize what has happened, you can just drive off again.

Admittedly, this was rather unusual circumstances, so I would generally leave it on, in the likelihood of an offroad marshall overestimating his escape powers.

Bear in mind that each time the ignition is turned off/on, both these items default to the screen above and has to be set up again. A minor nuisance, but a good safety feature for the forgetful. You know, old people - typical Volvo drivers .
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/27 at 08:31 AM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Sand Driving - Phase 2

So today we went to Voorste Klip via Stanford. Entry was R50 p/p.

My son went along with all his camera gadgets - 2x GoPros - plus the Garmin with camera mounted on the window.

On the way back, the GoPro 2 was mounted underneath the car, to film at bumper level. This is what it looked like:

Name:	Bumpercam.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	514234

The link below shows typically the terrain. It is useful to have the sound on in order to know whether the car is just coasting or working to get through the sand.

If we were not so lazy so as to deflate further from the 1.5 bar starting tyre pressure, we would easily have gotten up the dune on attempt 3. But it was much easier to take the alternative route. Further clips will show the deformation of the tyres in motion.

Bear in mind that due to the low shooting angle, everything looks bigger and faster than it really is. Additional eye-level clips over the same terrain will be edited and uploaded in due course.

https://youtu.be/ESxH25WyzUk

In summary, as tested, the Volvo is comfortably better in sand than the Freelander 2. It did not touch anywhere even once, where the LR2 always used to scrape the fuel tanks and exhaust at places.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/27 at 10:22 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Wow, that's impressive. Is the drive train much better or the increased clearance the game changer?

I found that giving the FL2 that extra 30mm lift really opened a whole new world for me

I've been eyeing a Touareg as a possible replacement one day and although I've always liked the XC60, never considered it
    Freelander 2 i6 SE - loveeee iitttttt!
    650 V Strom - my trusty beast
    Honda XR400R - wanna play......
    Vespa - when you just have to be cool
    GT Expert and Giant Anthen MTB's - keeping the tummy in check

Hi Mountainboy,

I would say the drivetrain is more refined in terms of reaction time, but the ground clearance and tyres made a bigger difference.

This Volvo has 30mm of additional clearance and the tyres are 50/50 biased off/on road instead of 10/90 as on the LR2. The slight width increase from 235 to 255 should also contribute marginally.

I tried to upload more footage showing what the wheels/tyres do while moving, but this was shot at FHD resolution, and after 30mins of upload on a 5 min clip, progress was only 20%.

I am still on leave, but once home I will have access to faster internet to add this information.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/29 at 09:06 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Tyre pressure vs temperature
    Yesterday we drove up from Hermanus to Kleinzee, stopping only briefly for fuel at Clanwilliam and sightseeing at Kamieskroon - even more briefly.

Initially, the R355 between Sprinkbok and Kleinzee is a beautifully tarred road. The view before you drop down into the valley via Spektakel Pass is incredible.

The road is so good, that after a while you start wondering why anyone bothered to construct such a road, given where it is going.

After 40km, it is clear that this exact thought had eventually also crossed the road builders' minds, and they decided to stop right there.

The next 65km is absolutely relentless ito corrugations. The only worse road I ever drove, was the D707, leading up to Solitaire from the south. It was only worse because it had loose stones and a fine dust, which this road did not.

After a while, I thought that I should have kept the Freelander 2, but then decided to rather deflate the tyres somewhat and see if matters improved.

Now, that morning prior to leaving Hermanus, I spot checked the offside rear tyre pressure and that was at 2.2 bar.

When I checked the same tyre at 5pm, with the ambient temperature being around 36° since Clanwilliam, the pressure now read 2.7 bar. So did all the other tyres.

After deflating to 2.2 bar, things went much better, and as long as you could keep the speed above 80km/h, it was a different car.

I did stop once more, to check if my home-made sump guard was not falling off, but it was fine.

When we got to Kleinzee, I enquired from a local what pressure they run, and he suggested 1.8 bar, reminding me once again not to drive too slow.

This morning I checked again, and yesterday's "hot" 2.2 bar was now 1.9 bar.

So, something to bear in mind when your dune drive ability seems to worsen even after deflating pressures to .8 bar when you started, the pressure may well be at 1.2 bar, or so later in the day.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/01/08 at 04:27 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Sand Driving - Phase 2 (cont)

The video below, is of part of the in-journey to Voorste Klip.

The Hero 5 was handheld out the window on a boom, so does tilt the horizon at times due to the jarring when the car goes through the holes dug by 4x2/non-difflocked vehicles. Bearing in mind that there is no screen/image feedback until the file is downloaded, I am really pleased with my son's efforts to get a useful result. It is shot at FHD (1080p) resolution.

https://youtu.be/_9PLptRHATY

The car is/appears to be somewhat wider than the LR2, as you can hear the parking sensors beeping at the narrow spots. This is something to get used to. Clearance feedback from my son guided me ito sticking to my side of the road. We did not scrape the sides anywhere.

You might recognize the section where we got stuck in the previous video, easily traversed from the other side.

More video to follow.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/12/30 at 08:52 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast