Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    Boreholes is a total different story as you have the national water act that will limit what the city can do.

With regards to solar, they will have loss of income if you're grid tied or off grid. How can you basically penalize someone because they now buy less of your product and are more energy (coal energy) independant. Yes I know that the problem sits whith peak demands etc. Your solar does little to help peak demands. The 6 - 9pm peak will still be the same. If you however do the rest of the needed conversions before getting solar electricity like going to gas for cooking, solar water heating etc, then it makes sense as the next step to go to solar panels for electricity.

So they are asking you extra money because you dare generate electricity on which they cannot add a mark up. Electricity sales is from a long time ago not a service anymore. You need to fund all those that flood into the cape that lives in shacks and that need their basic amount of free electricity.

I can see reasoning why you need to register if you have a grid tied feed in connection where you will feed into the grid. I do however not see the need to register if you've got one of the approved inverters as per the list published by the city, to make it a safe setup, and you are setting the inverter on utilise and non feed in. If you have a pre-paid meter in will in anyway subtract credits for electricity flow in any direction. So they can't really lose. To get the feed-in function you need to purchase a 4 quadrant meter at your cost which then becomes their property. How is that? I mean really, they charge you a load of money every month but they can't even supply the needed meter for that account? It's pathetic, and just another way more money is being taken from those who have to distribute for free to those who do not have.

What they basically did was that with an average household, that your account at the end of the month to the city will remain more or less the same. Haven't done recent calcs, but that's what I remember from my research and calculations of about 2 years ago...

ps: So I see the registration fee will most likely only be applicable to grid tied feed in systems, and off grid systems they say need to be registered so not to be mistaken for grid tied systems...
    Would be interesting for what and when they will charge you the admin fee. Last time I checked it was only for the feed in connections, and not for simple grid tied non feed in connections.
    Just some points.

Not all grid-tie Inverters can prevent feed in. In fact very few, as in almost none can do it by themselves. They need and external intelligent bi-directional meter with an interface via, usually CAN or MODBUS, to speak to the Inverter. Preventing feed in is EXTREMELY difficult technically. It’s a bit like a cars electronic traction control. It can only react after the fact.

All, or nearly all modern approved meters can measure current flow in both directions. Probably close on 100% of already installed smart meters can. They just need to be set up to do so. This involves a PC with software and an interface to connect to the meter. The interface is usually an IR link to the little “eye” on the front of the meter.

Just because an Inverter is approved as being safe and implementing anti Islanding, doesn’t mean the installation is compliant from a safety point of view. Most Inverters have an initial setup you have to go through where they can be set up incorrectly. (People sometimes “tweak” the anti islanding parameters to compensate for an unstable grid supply)

The tariffs require a whole new mindset. Present (older?) tariff structure are much like the pricing structure of petrol/diesel. The tariff structure is made up of various components. Let’s say for arguments sake the structure is 30 cents ring fenced for infrastructure development and maintenance, and the remainder allocated to energy consumption and profit. If everybody reduced their consumption to almost nothing there would be no revenue for infrastructure.

I don’t like this anymore than you or anyone else, but it’s a harsh reality. I don’t know what the answer is, neither do all the major electricity suppliers world wide.

This situation is almost identical to the e-toll conandrum.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/11/27 at 09:26 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news...anels-18279389

All small-scale embedded generation (SSEG) systems like rooftop solar PV installations must be registered with and authorised by the City before February 28 and those who fail to comply will be charged a R6425.90 service fee for the removal of unauthorised SSEG connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    By loss of income are they referring to those that feed back into the grid and reduce the meter amount owing, I thought that wasn't possible with modern digital meters?
    Nope.

They speak in detail of the "loss of income" from the sales of electricity. These sales have TWO objectives (other than paying eskom):

1) to make money to pay for the maintenance of the distribution system (Europe needs to re-evaluate their model to generate money for this)

2) sales of electricity is the single biggest source of income for municipalities !! This has been widely documented, with Paarl declaring 45% of its income from the sale of electricity. People going the PV route is eroding the municipalities stream of income .... THEIR OWN WORDS !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

Okay, just had a look on the COCT site.

Here are the documents that the media is refering to :

- Requirements for SSEG
    - OFF Grid
    - Grid tied

Interesting to note the "off-grid" forms that have been added since I last looked at this .... I will keep mine ready, and see how this unfolds ...

So does that legislation apply to a portable generator at home as well ?

Why the discussion?......

Register and pay. It's the law......

Where are all the self righteous law abiding forum members who condemn us with the "illegal" LED bars now?

&%^$% the DA/Coct...So they just pass laws and we the fools must do as they say or pay a fine?..newer not me...It's time to stand up against the *^&5 bullies...ek trek die lyn is die sand...you will read it in Die Burger...&^%^$ them
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

Quote Originally Posted by kadafi View Post
    &%^$% the DA/Coct...So they just pass laws and we the fools must do as they say or pay a fine?..newer not me...It's time to stand up against the *^&5 bullies...ek trek die lyn is die sand...you will read it in Die Burger...&^%^$ them
    TWO sides to this .... two VASTLY opposing sides ....

SAFETY - while the rest of SA did NOTHING, the COCT went outside of SA to have a draft document prepared as to the best way to deal with PV installations. Since the SANS standards for this has still NOT been published this is a death trap second to none !!!!! I DONT agree with what they have done !! But at least they have put "a system" in place ....

MONEY - I most certainly DONT agree with what they have done !!! But again, at least they put a system in place, and made the process KNOWN. So those that proceeded down this road really SHOULD have done their homework ... and if you search just a little bit, I attached those documents to this very site a few years back already .... The FACT remains that the system they put in place makes ZERO financial sense for any homeowner to go grid-tied....

taking note of what they published, we went for a PV geyser .... would others have to register solar hot water geysers ...

We also installed a PV driven pool pump ... again NO connection between the panels and our eskom installation ....

According to the documents of three years ago these installations were NOT seen as SSEG systems ....

I played the game to their rules ... so now I will watch how it all plays out ....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

My nagging doubt with this registration thing, both for solar and boreholes stems from the massive revenue losses the COCT has had from boreholes and Solar installations, and their need to recoup those losses.
    I know it was no fault of the City that Eskom screwed the pooch, nor was it their fault we had a protracted drought, aggravated by DWA incompetence, but I foresee the day where all us law abiding subjects who dutifully registered well points and panels suddenly get billed for them to offset incompetence and lack of planning, and that really burns my gat.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    My nagging doubt with this registration thing, both for solar and boreholes stems from the massive revenue losses the COCT has had from boreholes and Solar installations, and their need to recoup those losses.
    I know it was no fault of the City that Eskom screwed the pooch, nor was it their fault we had a protracted drought, aggravated by DWA incompetence, but I foresee the day where all us law abiding subjects who dutifully registered well points and panels suddenly get billed for them to offset incompetence and lack of planning, and that really burns my gat.
    This right here!

My concerns too... Somewhat cynically I think... but no good deed goes unpunished
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Remind me of this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.11a2f62e089f

"
    Water laws are so strict in Colorado that rainwater collection is virtually prohibited. The doctrine is written into the stateís Constitution. All the rain is already spoken for. It belongs to someone, and that someone probably isnít you. So donít you touch it.
    "

Same as the watertanks here in the western cape, It is gonna be another form of taxation.
    Pajero 2007 3.2 GLX (GEN4)

Angry Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

Yep, all good citizens of this province should register their solar panels now so that at a later stage this wonderful government of ours can track you and hit you with a compliance permit which comes up for renewal on an annual basis. Hey, DA!... Imagine the income that can be generated if there were to be a levy imposed on satellite dishes... ? Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Off grid registration is purely for statistical purposes for national energy planning and to get Carbon Credits, and for compliance to the Kyoto convention.

"Carbon Credits"; is this from / against "Carbon Tax" or CDM / UNFCCC or just internally "being green"?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Off grid registration is purely for statistical purposes for national energy planning and to get Carbon Credits, and for compliance to the Kyoto convention.
    Not really. You will not be able to sell your house without a solar panel certificate of compliance, similar to electrical certificate of compliance, gas, electric fence, bugs, etc. Ditto for boreholes.
    Blixum

There is life after Land Rovers!

1992 Ex Land Rover Defender Station Wagon V8
    1995 Ex Land Rover Discovery 1 V8
    1999 Ex Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES
    2002 Ex Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES
    1956 Land Rover Series 1 107" - Restoration for the mechanic in me.
    2005 Toyota Prado VX V6 - for the adventurer in me.
    2011 Porsche Cayenne S V8 - for the boy in me.
    2015 Gelandewagen - new kid on the block.

Exclamation Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

This is not a Western Cape or City of Cape Town requirement. NOTE People that it is THE National Energy Regulator (Nersa) that has drafted new regulations which require citizens to register and pay licence fees for their generator or solar panels, whether connected to the grid or not. So do not be so hasty to judge until you know the facts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2