Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town - Page 3





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    39
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 41

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    OK, I can understand some control over grid-tied systems but not with off-grid systems.

    BTW, what is the situation in other countries, like Germany, where there are many households feeding into the grid ?

    And, where do they draw the line, what happens to the 300w solar panel on your caravan ?

    In theory that has to registered as well.

    This doesn't sound as if it has been well thought out at all.
    I'm still not clear on what the definition of a "very small" system is.
    Is it a calculator solar screen?
    Is it a 100W panel, used to trickle charge a deep cycle battery?
    Where is the dividing line?
    What size of solar system do you need to register?
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8

    http://www.roughingit.co.za/

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    62
    Posts
    18,338
    Thanked: 5517

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Blixum View Post
    Not really. You will not be able to sell your house without a solar panel certificate of compliance, similar to electrical certificate of compliance, gas, electric fence, bugs, etc. Ditto for boreholes.
    That's a consequence of the regulation, not the reason.

    I have seen some PV Solar installations that will make your hair stand on end.

    When you start playing with DC panel voltages of 500V, mains voltages of 230V AC and power in the 5kVA range you're not playing with matches, you're playing with flame throwers.

    Have a look at those registration documents. 90% of the content relates to Electrical Safety Compliance. So its no different from getting an approved set of plans for that new wall that could fall over and kill your children.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    12,920
    Thanked: 1766

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by jannieljoubert View Post
    I'm still not clear on what the definition of a "very small" system is.
    Is it a calculator solar screen?
    Is it a 100W panel, used to trickle charge a deep cycle battery?
    Where is the dividing line?
    What size of solar system do you need to register?
    see the attachments to post #24

    I have a "small" 100W off grid system for 12V lights. I will jump through the hoops and register it

    Ironic since my 900W high voltage PV geyser system is exempted ...



    But as Fluffy says, some seriously scary stuff out there. As mine was checked by a registered electrician I am happy that it is safe, and have nothing to hide.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    297
    Thanked: 87

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    That's a consequence of the regulation, not the reason.

    I have seen some PV Solar installations that will make your hair stand on end.

    When you start playing with DC panel voltages of 500V, mains voltages of 230V AC and power in the 5kVA range you're not playing with matches, you're playing with flame throwers.

    Have a look at those registration documents. 90% of the content relates to Electrical Safety Compliance. So its no different from getting an approved set of plans for that new wall that could fall over and kill your children.
    Agree 100%, that's why I went to MSolar for my system...
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    12,920
    Thanked: 1766

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Okay .... two weeks left to register your PV systems in the Western Cape ....



    Now just before you laugh it off, have a look at your address here - https://citymaps.capetown.gov.za/EGISViewer/

    Select the "Aerial photography" for 2016, or 2017 or 2018. Scary the detail the Council have of your erf !! And this is just the portal open to the public !! When I work with the Local Authority I often see the systems and the access they have ... And this data base of information started a few decades ago !! They KNOW what was approved for your site, and what you added over the years.


    NOTE - apparently Council already have a room full of students going through these aerial photos to identify who has PV installations !!



    Hardly worth the gamble, seems they are intent on dishing out a couple of those R6k fines ....



    DISCLAIMER - I dont work for the City, I am just another homeowner that has taken steps to reduce the impact of loadshedding ... who will spend this weekend filling in the registration documents ...

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,284
    Thanked: 295

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Elders View Post
    Okay .... two weeks left to register your PV systems in the Western Cape ....
    Actually extension has been granted to 31 May.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,477
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Elders View Post

    NOTE - apparently Council already have a room full of students going through these aerial photos to identify who has PV installations !!
    Well there's a waste of resourcing - should be very easy to write software to identify panels with today's tech - and probably far more accurate than students who'll get bored.


  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 161

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Hi Guys

    So I am in the process of registering my Grid Tied PV system.
    As I have mentioned before , I also have an Axpert without Solar Panels. Just charging batteries via grid.
    Do I need to register this as well

    First up is to do a COC on my house electrics. For the Axpert's output, I am adding a DB for the essential power sockets I will have installed and an existing light circuit for the house.
    Once that is completed, I will continue with the registration process.

    Now here is a problem, where do I find an ECSA registered person who has done this before? Anyone here who has completed the process who will share a name or company to approve this document for me please?

    Nerd
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    87
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Is this western cape, or Cape Town?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,284
    Thanked: 295

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    I donít know what you mean by ECSA person, but if you need an electric engineer who can sign off on the grid tied installation, drop me message. As far as I know, an electrician can sign off the normal CoC.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  11. #51
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 161

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by wims_za View Post
    Is this western cape, or Cape Town?

    Kuilsrivier. Close to Cape Town
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  12. #52
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 161

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I donít know what you mean by ECSA person, but if you need an electric engineer who can sign off on the grid tied installation, drop me message. As far as I know, an electrician can sign off the normal CoC.

    PM send.

    Yip, local electrician I found in the community flyer The Agie will be doing the electrical works and CoC. He has no Solar experience unfortunately, so I hope I can rely what I have learnt since I started.

    Thank you for the offer, chat soon I hope.
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  13. #53
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 161

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Got my ECSA approved signature today. Thank you Musashi for introducing me to Karel. Nice guy.
    Now to compile the email and send in my registration papers tomorrow.
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,284
    Thanked: 295

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Got my ECSA approved signature today. Thank you Musashi for introducing me to Karel. Nice guy.
    Now to compile the email and send in my registration papers tomorrow.
    Glad to help!

    I take it you don't have the issue of your inverter generation exceeding the limit in terms of the mains supply?
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  15. #55
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    45
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 161

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Glad to help!

    I take it you don't have the issue of your inverter generation exceeding the limit in terms of the mains supply?
    I am clearly stating that I only have 11 x 315w panels, thus I am below the 3600w mark for the 80A breaker requirement. Small change of hope that I do not need an upgrade,
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,284
    Thanked: 295

    Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    I am clearly stating that I only have 11 x 315w panels, thus I am below the 3600w mark for the 80A breaker requirement. Small change of hope that I do not need an upgrade,
    I think if the engineer signed it off, CoCT won't question it.

    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •