Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

Default Re: Solar Panel Registration in Cape Town

They want to charge you money for having one. Go the e toll and TV licence route and don't bother.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    They want to charge you money for having one. Go the e toll and TV licence route and don't bother.
    My thoughts exactly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidT For This Useful Post:

The arguments fall flat WRT off-grid systems.

A better approach would be to pay on-grid systems a subsidy of R10k, or more on a sliding scale, and obtain the information that way.

The on-grid systems will have a major positive impact on electric power supply, especially in view of the continuing collapse of Eskom.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    The arguments fall flat WRT off-grid systems.

A better approach would be to pay on-grid systems a subsidy of R10k, or more on a sliding scale, and obtain the information that way.

The on-grid systems will have a major positive impact on electric power supply, especially in view of the continuing collapse of Eskom.
    Not really, but that is a whole new story.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Not really, but that is a whole new story.
    You say that, but it is really starting to look bad for Eskom. Although maybe less so in the WC with Koeberg.

Up North we are having problems with coal, and it looks as if there are serious quality problems with the new large power stations.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

not really, as Fluffy said

grid balancing would be a bit of a challenge methinks
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    not really, as Fluffy said

grid balancing would be a bit of a challenge methinks
    You guys are assuming reliable supply from Eskom. That is brave.

Limited skills, poor upfront planning, inadequate quality control and labour strikes were key reasons for delays at Eskomís new build projects Medupi and Kusile.
    https://www.fin24.com/Economy/Eskom/...usile-20170209

These reports are from last year, but AFAIK things are getting worse. We now have loadshedding in Joburg.

Limited skills, poor upfront planning, inadequate quality control and labour strikes were key reasons for delays at Eskomís new build projects Medupi and Kusile.
    I am with Jola on this...

Skills, quality has gone for a loop.

Easy rebush and keyway cutting at a long ago established, reputable engineering shop got messed up. Did not understand the basic principle of sheaves....

So to expect that things are any better @ Eskom...is brave as stated by Jola

You say that, but it is really starting to look bad for Eskom. Although maybe less so in the WC with Koeberg.

Up North we are having problems with coal, and it looks as if there are serious quality problems with the new large power stations.
    Hi,

I have absolutely no problem with what you are saying.

My post related solely to subtle reasons why registering PV systems may be to everybody's benefit.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Hi,

I have absolutely no problem with what you are saying.

My post related solely to subtle reasons why registering PV systems may be to everybody's benefit.
    OK, I can understand some control over grid-tied systems but not with off-grid systems.

BTW, what is the situation in other countries, like Germany, where there are many households feeding into the grid ?

And, where do they draw the line, what happens to the 300w solar panel on your caravan ?

In theory that has to registered as well.

This doesn't sound as if it has been well thought out at all.
    Last edited by Jola; 2018/11/26 at 07:00 PM.

OK, I can understand some control over grid-tied systems but not with off-grid systems.

BTW, what is the situation in other countries, like Germany, where there are many households feeding into the grid ?

And, where do they draw the line, what happens to the 300w solar panel on your caravan ?

In theory that has to registered as well.

This doesn't sound as if it has been well thought out at all.
    Off grid registration is purely for statistical purposes for national energy planning and to get Carbon Credits, and for compliance to the Kyoto convention.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Off grid registration is purely for statistical purposes for national energy planning and to get Carbon Credits, and for compliance to the Kyoto convention.
    But you still have to pay ?

But you still have to pay ?
    Do you ?

What about bore holes.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/11/26 at 08:10 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
    The City of Cape Town (COCT) published their policies on PV installations about FOUR YEARS ago, before everybody and their hair dresser installed PV.

"Off grid" is a non issue, according to these regs.

The problem comes with systems that are in any way tied to the grid .....

And YES - if you read these regs it is made clear that "loss of income" is a driving force behind the monthly fees for grid-tied systems.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    The City of Cape Town (COCT) published their policies on PV installations about FOUR YEARS ago, before everybody and their hair dresser installed PV.

And YES - if you read these regs it is made clear that "loss of income" is a driving force behind the monthly fees for grid-tied systems.
    By loss of income are they referring to those that feed back into the grid and reduce the meter amount owing, I thought that wasn't possible with modern digital meters?

Been running Grid Tied here in Pta for a while now. Tshwane's draft regulation has also been out now for over four years, expecting it to get galvanised into action soon, then we'll also need to go through the registration process.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    By loss of income are they referring to those that feed back into the grid and reduce the meter amount owing, I thought that wasn't possible with modern digital meters?
    It probably covers ALL PV setups because even if you don't feed back, you are still using LESS mains electricity and thus, are reducing their income.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Boreholes is a total different story as you have the national water act that will limit what the city can do.

With regards to solar, they will have loss of income if you're grid tied or off grid. How can you basically penalize someone because they now buy less of your product and are more energy (coal energy) independant. Yes I know that the problem sits whith peak demands etc. Your solar does little to help peak demands. The 6 - 9pm peak will still be the same. If you however do the rest of the needed conversions before getting solar electricity like going to gas for cooking, solar water heating etc, then it makes sense as the next step to go to solar panels for electricity.

So they are asking you extra money because you dare generate electricity on which they cannot add a mark up. Electricity sales is from a long time ago not a service anymore. You need to fund all those that flood into the cape that lives in shacks and that need their basic amount of free electricity.

I can see reasoning why you need to register if you have a grid tied feed in connection where you will feed into the grid. I do however not see the need to register if you've got one of the approved inverters as per the list published by the city, to make it a safe setup, and you are setting the inverter on utilise and non feed in. If you have a pre-paid meter in will in anyway subtract credits for electricity flow in any direction. So they can't really lose. To get the feed-in function you need to purchase a 4 quadrant meter at your cost which then becomes their property. How is that? I mean really, they charge you a load of money every month but they can't even supply the needed meter for that account? It's pathetic, and just another way more money is being taken from those who have to distribute for free to those who do not have.

What they basically did was that with an average household, that your account at the end of the month to the city will remain more or less the same. Haven't done recent calcs, but that's what I remember from my research and calculations of about 2 years ago...

ps: So I see the registration fee will most likely only be applicable to grid tied feed in systems, and off grid systems they say need to be registered so not to be mistaken for grid tied systems...
    Would be interesting for what and when they will charge you the admin fee. Last time I checked it was only for the feed in connections, and not for simple grid tied non feed in connections.
    Last edited by WillemT; 2018/11/27 at 07:37 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post

the loss of their income is due the gov's manner of handling business. BBEEE is probably one of the biggest contributing factors, where skills have gone abroad and now are filled with unskilled labour.

Another example of this registering a pv system, will result in another charge for Capetonians. We have now been introduced to a water supply (based on diameter pipe feed 15mm, 20mm and 40mm) and electrical feed to your house. On average your municipal bill has increase by R230 bucks for infrastructure that has already laid decades ago and paid for by rates and taxes and taxpayers money. This is another way for the Incompetent DA to rape Cape Town further (my opinion).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast