Where can I buy tempered sheet metal ?

Default Where can I buy tempered sheet metal ?

I need a 200mm X 200mm piece of sheet metal that has been tempered. I must be springy and perfectly flat. Where can I find this ?

I want to use it as a printing surface for my 3d printers. I'm going through tape like mad. The Bed sensor can only detect metal from about 2mm away. I can also use class but then if has to be only about 1mm thick.
    Last edited by SBSP; 2018/11/26 at 03:06 PM.
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Default Re: Where can I buy tempered sheet metal ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    I need a 200mm X 200mm piece of sheet metal that has been tempered. I must be springy and perfectly flat. Where can I find this ?

I want to use it as a printing surface for my 3d printers. I'm going through tape like mad. The Bed sensor can only detect metal from about 2mm away. I can also use class but then if has to be only about 1mm thick.
    Montana, Pretoria?

You could buy from Specstrip (euro steel) not sure whether they will sell you a small piece, but Starco will help. Chat to Jean/Beth 011 4936558
    as for spring steel, you will be able to obtain 1meter piece x 400mm wide

Look at Aluminium ACP 5080 6mm with a base tollerance of 0.1mm across a length of 3.3m x 2.05m. Get the size cut that you need and have it milled down to a tollerance of 0.4 microns.
    Or you could just install a BL Touch or look at David Crockers Optical sensor.
    Setting up mesh bed leveling might also sort out any problems you might have with inconsistent bed leveling.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Karoo Klong For This Useful Post:

Thanks. 6mm seems to be on the thick side ?

starco would sell you thickness from 0.2 up to 3mm
    0.2 up to 1mm in increments of 0.1mm.
    Make sure if you use this to take the spring steel hardened and tempered (sae 1075). Stainless steel spring steel(301) does not roll out flat as normal carbon steel.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    starco would sell you thickness from 0.2 up to 3mm
    0.2 up to 1mm in increments of 0.1mm.
    Make sure if you use this to take the spring steel hardened and tempered (sae 1075). Stainless steel spring steel(301) does not roll out flat as normal carbon steel.
    Thanks, Say I take a 1.5mm hardened and tempered steel sheet, will I be able to drill mounting holes into the corners using a normal 3mm drill bit ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    Thanks, Say I take a 1.5mm hardened and tempered steel sheet, will I be able to drill mounting holes into the corners using a normal 3mm drill bit ?
    Hi
    Will work. Take it easy material would be in the region of 42 to 44 rockwell c

Use some fluid when drilling to keep bit cool

If its only 1,5mm thick maybe a center drill will work well as they are very short or stubby. I have never heard of tmpered sheetmetal. What is its purpose.

My 3d Printer's heat bed is made from Alumenium but it has an integrated PCB with tracks to create an element which heats up the bed, it can go to about 100C but I only ever set it to 55C.

Problem is you dont want to print directly onto the heated bed because you often need to use a knife or putty knife to get the object off the bed after it printed. the Alu is soft and scratches easily which will eventually leave marks on the bottom of the print. So generally people use a glass sheet, Masking tape or PEI which is like a type of plastic and adheres to 3d printed plastic in a way that its easily removable (Not too much and not too little).

In my Case my printer use a Pinda style metal detector for auto leveling to know how far the bed is from the nozzle. But seeing its a metal detector it cannot sense the alu through even 3mm glass.

I'm going through allot of tape and you always need new tape when you dont have any left. I also went through allot of PEI sheets which cost R100 a pop and seeing its a type of plastic , If you made a mistake with Z off-set the nozzle has no trouble slicing through it.

So I want to try hard sheet metal that is springy , So after the print I can just remove the bed attached to magnets and then bend it to make the print pop off. Also if its hardened then I dont have to worry about scratching it so much.