Who here is rocking mobile HF? What antenna and what radio?

Default Who here is rocking mobile HF? What antenna and what radio?

We are planning a few long trips, couple of months away at a time. So I am planning a nice all band set for the car. That the easy part, choose your radio, pay the vendor and that it.
    Antenna is the tricky one, I would prefer not to use a screwdriver type antenna. I think its just too expensive so what would the more experienced hams recommend?
    2012 Troopy
    Swambo Nissan Hardbody 3.0td 4x4

Default Re: Who here is rocking mobile HF? What antenna and what radio?

Quote Originally Posted by kocourek View Post
    We are planning a few long trips, couple of months away at a time. So I am planning a nice all band set for the car. That the easy part, choose your radio, pay the vendor and that it.
    Antenna is the tricky one, I would prefer not to use a screwdriver type antenna. I think its just too expensive so what would the more experienced hams recommend?
    Just on the car so you can use it when stationary, or use it when mobile. HF while mobile is highly impractical and basically a waste of time and money.

Portable all band system you can carry with you and deploy in minutes once you are stationary, not much can compare with a Buddipole. Assuming you are a HAM with the knowledge and basic equipment (SWR meter) you can make your own Buddipole for a few Rands with stuff from the hardware store.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Just on the car so you can use it when stationary, or use it when mobile. HF while mobile is highly impractical and basically a waste of time and money.

Portable all band system you can carry with you and deploy in minutes once you are stationary, not much can compare with a Buddipole. Assuming you are a HAM with the knowledge and basic equipment (SWR meter) you can make your own Buddipole for a few Rands with stuff from the hardware store.
    ZS2PS is my callsign
    Was thinking of a Icom 7000 or 7300 with a Hustler. My whole camping setup in the Troopy is that I pull up the handbrake and that is it.
    I agree that HF while driving is a waste of time.
    So I would like to continue the same theme. Stop and would like to get going with a minimum of fuss.
    2012 Troopy

ZS2PS is my callsign
    Was thinking of a Icom 7000 or 7300 with a Hustler. My whole camping setup in the Troopy is that I pull up the handbrake and that is it.
    I agree that HF while driving is a waste of time.
    So I would like to continue the same theme. Stop and would like to get going with a minimum of fuss.
    I also use the Hustler when mobile.

Reality is that the only band worth working when mobile is actually 40M, especially during the day. Also when you stop, 40M at dusk and dawn for cross country contacts. 80M is useless mobile, the antenna is just impractical, even with a Hustler ( I have the Hustler coil and wip for 80M). There is about 30 - 60 minutes just before sunrise that it is half useable.

There are some really nice antenna for camping that take only a minute or two to set up. The easiest most compact and stunning performance is a Carolina WINDOM. Just string it from tree to tree or whatever. Takes seconds and is already in tune for 40m-20m-15m-10m.

I use this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-Horizont....c100005.m1851

Its very important to me, that you choose a radio with an Automatic Antenna Tuner if you are going to be using HF away from base. This allows you some latitude in "make a plan" type antenna.

Vertical Antenna mounted on a car are all but useless at HF.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/11/26 at 12:49 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

https://www.jbcs.co.za/ham_radio/Bun...015-05-18.html

just ferrite is worth a that much money.

or not so budget-Comet CHV-5X Multi Band Rotatable Dipole Antenna @15x price of first one

from http://www.commco.co.za/hamshack_antenna2.htmDIPOLE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

That bundu basher looks like a plan while I get myself organised
    2012 Troopy

That bundu basher looks like a plan while I get myself organised
    Much more difficult to set up, most definitely no comparison with the WINDOM I posted, which is just as easy to erect. It also won’t do 100W (in my opinion looking at the ferrite) which is what your proposed ICOM is.

I have several end fed (2) and several WINDOM (3) from various manufacturers..
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/11/26 at 01:54 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Fully agree the HF while mobile is not ideal; get to camp or pull off somewhere if you have the need to communicate.
    I've been using Hustlers for many years while traveling through Namibia and SA without any issues. 10, 20, 30 & 40m have worked well for me.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

I agree with that. I would use the bundu basher as a stopgap. To set up the radio rig in the Troopy is not just a weekend job with a drill and a holesaw, I want to get it right but it's not going to happen next weekend but for a cheap setup while eying the smalls for mobile HF sets I can use my old Yeasu 757 while base camping. Just to fool around and see what and whom I can scare up on the bands.

Guys is been a very informative discussion so far. I have learned a lot.
    2012 Troopy

post here date, time and MHz - 24 hours in advance and i'll listen for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    post here date, time and MHz - 24 hours in advance and i'll listen for you.
    How would know you are listening.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    How would know you are listening.
    post here date,time and MHz you planning to call on,and i would be listening for you.
    and answering,naturally.
    Last edited by jadranko; 2018/11/27 at 07:31 AM.

Have a look at the SARL webpage. One of the ads have a Multi-ranger-9 and although I use a ATAS120A, my friend does have one and I have tested it on various bands on a fishing tripot with some groundwires and I was impressed.

ZR6AGA
    Andre ZR6AGA 8)
    2009 VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI Field & Track

I still have to setup bases for mobile antennas on the new vehicle. I also use Hustlers - have 2 sets and can make a buddipole with them as well when stationary.

When stationary, I mainly use inverted V dipoles when there are trees around. A whip and coil on the back of my Defender worked reasonably well for mobile APRS on 30m

Setup is provisionally up and running.
    Yaesu 857D with Atas 120. Got the headunit mounted just below the car stereo. Vhf on the roof rack and the Atas mounted on the bullbar when needed. I don't think the Atas is robust enough to stay outside permanently. Now just for the noise canceling speaker and I am up and running. Anyone here tried Winlink on a Raspberry pi for email in the sticks?
    2012 Troopy