Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Body lift on my Colt

I have just read (with great interest) the thread on Gen1 and Gen2 body lifts (http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=16639) and was wondering about this kind of lift on my Colt.

I fitted Ironman suspension a couple of months ago which gave me a lift of 50mm in the front but only about 15mm in the rear.

I realise that a body lift only gives an advantage if you want to fit bigger tyres. I also realise that going above 31" tyres with a 2.4 is a stupid idea as the power (or lack thereof) would struggle to move such large tyres and as a result the gearing would have to change. I am therefore going to stick with 31" tyres and the 'gain' on a body lift is not worth it. But being young and foolish I like the look of a raised body.

On the abovementioned thread it says that anything above 50mm lift requires the movement of the steering rod and steering box. Therefore my questions are as follows:

1) Would a body lift on my vehicle (already with aftermarket suspension) require modification of the steering?

2) As a body lift does not really change the COG is it such a bad option even if just for the 'look'

3) Is there anywhere in the Western Cape that could perform a bodylift on my colt? If so where is the best place?

- Owen
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Spike researched this a while back, just before I flogged the Colt, so he will have some ideas.

The lift doesn't just have an advantage on tyre size but does improve approach and departure angles as well. My rear corners look like I've been grading roads flat.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Aah this is a valid point, I am disappointed with most of the angles, as you come to expect with a bakkie, while the approach angle is alright I have come unstuck a few times with the large overhang over the rear - extra departure angle could come in handy!

Well if spike was looking into it and has researched it must be a poor idea, considering he hasn't done it.

spike could you elaborate as to why you chose not to? (especially considering you have 32's)

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

I dont want to speak on his behalf, but with the bigger tyres and front offroad bumper it has made an amazing difference. The back part is the same for most of us, just drag slowly over obstacle.
    Once you have offroad shocks, turn the torsions up a bit and fit a bash plate ( Nissan one fits Colt ) and you are on your way.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Well if spike was looking into it and has researched it must be a poor idea, considering he hasn't done it.
    Djy!

I haven't done it yet because...
    1. I'm lazy
    2. I don't have time
    3. I don't have money
    4. I've had other more important things to do
    and most importantly
    5. On the diesel Colt it's a big hassle with all the extra plumbing etc under the bonnet.

On your 2.4 it will be quick and easy. If you have all the right bits you can do it on a saturday morning. That's excluding the mods to raise your front and rear bumper. I did my Courier in a few hours. Just me and a trolley jack and a bit of sweat.

A buddy of mine did his 3litre Colt with a 40mm body lift. He told me at the time that 40mm was the max before starting to have other issues to take care of. My Courier was 50mm and I had some issues to sort out

My lift will still happen one day. Maniec says he can sort my plumbing so I'll look at it again when he gets back from Angola

As a body lift does not really change the COG
    It does change COG. It's just less change than a suspension lift.
    Last edited by Spike; 2009/02/20 at 06:27 PM.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Red face

hehehe i think that came out wrong, i didnt mean its a poor idea because uve researched it, i thought there were good technical reasons why you hadn't done it a strangely constructed compliment actually.

so will the break lines and such need to be extended with a 40/50mm body lift considering I already have a 50mm suspension lift?

- Owen
    Last edited by OwenD; 2009/02/21 at 12:29 AM. Reason: removed one of the stupid questions
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Will a 40mm body lift not adversely affect the design parameters of the ironman suspension?

that is to say, as I have ironman suspension spec'd to the colt's standard ride height - will putting a body lift on it not mess up the compression rates etc as they are extended beyond what they are designed optimally for?

Or am I going mad?

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mellivora_japensis View Post
    Will a 40mm body lift not adversely affect the design parameters of the ironman suspension?

that is to say, as I have ironman suspension spec'd to the colt's standard ride height - will putting a body lift on it not mess up the compression rates etc as they are extended beyond what they are designed optimally for?

Or am I going mad?

- Owen
    The suspension involves the unsprung mass (axles and wheels) and the chassis. The body is not involved.

.... that's on your Colt, which has a rail and body design. On a monocoque vehicle, it is a different story.

I am slo intersted in doing the same with my colt and I will be following this trhead for some tips.
    2014 Isuzu KB250 4x4 Double Cab

Around CT - take the bakkie to Burnco if you don't want to DIY. They will do a good job and have all the tools and experience

Around Pta Johan - take it to Sean in Waverley. He has a colt single cab himself with 70mm body lift, he did my previous Ranger's lift and I was very happy with it, he also lifter Marco's Ranger and he is very happy with it - 082 882 9427 - he needs the bakkie for 3 days. A body lift and camil shocks will set you back around R10k, maybe a little more now as I did mine a year ago - speak to Marco (RangerV6), body lift alonr probably around R5k, but it is worth fitting the camils at the same time
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Mr Japensis you and me are very alike The main reason for my bodylift also came from being young and stupid just to get the Ranger higher for the higher/lifted/bigger look Yes I do want to fit 32's and yes I have to agree woth you the little 2.4 might have some issues with them. It will help if you do the diff ratios aswell but thats a new topic on its own... After some consideration I am also sticking with the 31's for now and nearing the and of the year I will slap on the bigger tyres and some new diff ratios aswell. Will I do the body lift again ? Hell Yeah . Sean at Bulldog 4x4 in waverley(pta) did mine. There was one or two very minor issues (as can be expected) but overall I am very happy with the job. I had 70mil lift fitted and on that the steering needed some extending. The brake lines still needs replacement. Its fine for normal driving but on axle twisters they have tension on them which is not very cool. Will have it done when I get the chance.

Johan if you see Sean's colt, you will be booking in your colt asap !
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

Christo.

5k for a body lift? Hell that's steep! What did the work consist of?
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Christo.

5k for a body lift? Hell that's steep! What did the work consist of?
    Simon I paid R5800. LA Sport quoted R6500. On my bakkie it was the body lift, front bumper lift, nudge bar lift, tow bar lift, side pipes lift, radiator refitment. Thats it as far as I can remember. I requested the gearlever to not be lengthened as the Ranger had a looong gear lever and after the body lift it sits a lot lower now and works much better.
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

I shall give burnco a call in the morning, phoned Jaen Pierre Fourie at Ultimate Auto Works in brackenfell who said that while his company does not do it any more he still dabbles after hours and is more than willing to do it for me when I get back from traveling SA (mid-april). He estimated the cost around R3000 perhaps less.

I shall see what burnco says and relay informasie

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Burnco says that they can do a 40mm bodylift on the colt for R2500.
    This includes fettling with the gearleaver, dropping the radiator as well as lining up bumpers.

Shall go with them when i get back from the field over easter.

hope this helps johanlot!

- Owen
    Last edited by OwenD; 2009/02/25 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling like a child
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

R2.5 grand is a bargain. The spacers, high tensile bolts and bits and pieces will cost close to that already unless you have a contact with a machine shop.

I reckon a diesel would cost more than that though with the extra complications with the intercooler etc.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

The R2500 is for the body lift only (includes the spacers and bolts) excludes the front and rear bumper and gearlever.And stearing if it needs adjustment.
    Last edited by Boetie; 2009/03/18 at 09:44 PM.
    X23

Ok thanks for the update, Hein said it included bumper alignment on the phone, but it is not a big issue if it is not included in the R2500, I shall still be doing it after easter.

cant wait!

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Anybody know where this can be done in the Durban area?
    Roger

2008 Hilux D4D DC 4x4 Auto OME Suspension
    2002 Pajero NM Sold
    2005 Colt DC Sold
    2004 Colt Club Cab Sold

I am back and got the body lift done while I was in the UK.

40mm body lift, came to R3450 after all including the bumper alignment, thought I would post some pictures as an update and to round off the thread to completion.

an old before picture (sorry they not the same place/angle for proper comparison my forethought is shoddy)

and after

very happy...now for some 31's to fill in the gaps

- Owen
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast