Uganda Selfdrive Trip '19 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Uganda Selfdrive Trip '19

Enjoy! We are expecting a trip report, when you return.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Enjoy! We are expecting a trip report, when you return.
    Will definitely make one! Owe it to this great community!
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2019/09/25 at 07:15 PM.

Hey all!

Sorry for the delay, I've bin quite busy but at least started writing day 1 and 2!

Uganda – 2020

Day 1 – Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary – Gulu (Travel time: 7h)

Finally, time to travel to the Pearl of Africa!
    After some delay on the flight from Amsterdam to Cairo and running through Cairo Airport to make it to the connecting flight and a stopover in Kigali, me and my 2 friends eventually made it to Entebbe Airport. Our luggage was less fortunate and didn’t make it past Cairo. Mr. Billy from Selfdrive Uganda suggested to just follow our travel plan and he would travel north when the luggage made it to Uganda. Great Service!
    At 11:30 we mounted ‘The Muzungu Express’, a Land Cruiser V8. A thirsty, but strong and unbreakable machine which would show us all of Uganda without any hassle.
    First stop: Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.
    After 2-3 well entertaining hours through the heart of Kampala we managed to escape the city and found ourselves on the long road north. Around 15:00 we arrived at the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary. The plan was to do a Rhino Trek and continu towards Gulu but staying at Ziwa after a broken night/long flight also seemed quite attractive. So the plan changed and we would spend the night there after a late afternoon Rhino Trek. Unfortunately the Weather Gods had different plans and it started raining like crazy, and since we didn’t have any spare clothes with us, doing a walk in the bush didn’t seem very attractive. So we discussed and agreed on travelling up North towards Gulu. No rhinos but at least we had some dry clothes for the time being.
    Around 1945 we arrived after a 3,5h drive at Nich Hotel Gulu. A nice and clean hotel, perfect to spend a quick night.

Day 2 – Gulu – Kitgum – Kidepo Valley NP (8h 20m, lot of stops)

After a short night in Gulu, we quickly hopped back in the beast and moved north towards Kitgum for an emergency no luggage pack; socks & underwear. After picking up some groceries and filling up at Total Kitgum it was time to go off road. After some stops we arrived after 4h 20m at Kidepo Valley NP. We entered at the gate near Kidepo Savannah Lodge but there was no one at the gate, we moved onto the Apoka Rest Camp area where the UWA HQ is and we registered and booked the Kakine Campsite for our first night. They told us they would drop off a ranger around 19:00. It was already late afternoon so we decided to just drive around a bit and explore the Kakine area. After some looping we ended up around the campsite around 1840. The Kakine campsite is located on a hill, so you have an amazing 360 degrees view of the surrounding areas. There are ablutions but there was no water. When we drove towards the campsite, there was one other car on the track and they told us, the lions were not far away, resting on the rocks (kopjies). It was only 10-15 minutes away from the campsite but it was already getting dark so unfortunately we couldn’t go there. So we started building our camp which was quite easy, because we had those throwing tents you use at festivals. Almost as soon as we started building, the lions were roaring loudly and were moving in our direction. Would we see them after all? In the meantime our ranger for the night Gilbert arrived at camp together with his ak47 and a small tent. We built a nice fire and enjoyed some cold beers and amarulas. Unfortunately the lions only decided to roar a lot but join us for a small nightcap. When we were in our tents, we could hear lions roaring from our left and right so hopefully tomorrow!
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2019/11/08 at 01:09 AM.

Dank je wel .

Please keep it coming.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thank you, Dutchie, for a great start to your report.

What bad luck that your luggage didn’t arrive with you. I am eagerly waiting to hear if it did ever catch up with you!

Thumbs up Re: Uganda Selfdrive Trip '19

Every time I see the words Entebbe Airport I'm reminded of that film I saw in my youth which I think was titled 'Raid on Entebbe' and the day our Iocal airport here in Ireland was closed down and surrounded with police and army as there was a rumour that Idi Amin was going to make a surprise visit. I don't know a lot about Uganda so will be great reading about your trip and seeing any photos you might post.

Thank you DGA for wetting our appetite for the next installments. Just hope you got your luggage in time!

AP

Day 3 – Kidepo Valley NP – Kidepo Savannah Lodge

After waking up several times dreaming about lions grabbing me in the tent, it was time for our first full day in Kidepo Valley NP. So quickly packed up the camping gear and off towards the rocks were the lions were seen the day before. Unfortunately for us, no lions anymore. The noisy ones from last night probably moved on. After dropping of ranger Gilbert back at his HQ, it was time for us to get lunch. We drove to Kidepo Savannah Lodge, a stunning place that is bordering the park. It has fantastic views from the restaurant and tents, great food and good beds. The plan was to do a lot of camping but in the late afternoon it was common to have a buildup of nice rainy clouds and we could ‘Bless the rains down in Africa’ once again. So we spend the majority of our trip at lodges. After a nice lunch, we went back into the park but no special sightings. But we still enjoyed the huge buffalo herds and lots of general game. So back to the lodge for a nice 4-course dinner and a good night of sleep.

Day 4 – Kidepo Valley NP – Kidepo Savannah Lodge

Time for the second full day in the park. We choose to hire a ranger to guide us around, people recommended it and Gilbert was a nice guy our age so also a nice travel companion. You can easily do it without a ranger and it really depends on the ranger if it increases your chances of sightings. (tracking skills etc). Today was a day with no real special sightings, just the general game. I still really enjoyed the landscapes with great views. Day ended again with heavy rains so back to Kidepo Savannah Lodge for the night. Again we heard the lions all night, even close to camp, so hopefully tomorrow......

Day 5 – Kidepo Valley NP – Kidepo Savannah Lodge

Allright, after hearing the lions roaring and hyena’s calling all night, it was time to find some predators. So we went back towards all the kopjies to finally get lucky but again…no one home. So back for lunch and make plans for the afternoon. Other guests saw 1 lion at a waterhole, an area we didn’t explore yet. So we decided to leave early for an afternoon game drive and explore that side of the ‘main road’ between HQ and Kidepo Savannah Lodge as well.
    First we found an elephant, normally nothing special but around Kidepo they are quite scarce. They seem to migrate in and out Kenya. Eventually we made our way to the waterhole. Found a big group of Defassa waterbucks, a really pretty antelope species. But something wasn’t right, they were all focused to one certain direction. Even getting out for a quick nature call couldn’t disturb them. So we decided to slowly move into that direction to see if there was someone lurking at them. When we passed the corner, there was something that looked like an old riverbed with a lot of trees and bushes. I noticed something in a tree, I quickly checked with the camera which I use as a binocular and indeed a predator. A leopard looked at me and immediately went down the tree and we lost it in the high grass and bushy area. Luckily my friend was able to see it, even it was only for a split second. Now my other friend felt kind of sad since he missed he because he was behind the wheel. We had the high ground. So we hoped for it to come back, stayed quiet and moved a bit back and forth. YES, there it was again, looking at us from behind a bush, but it moved back into the lower part. Our friend missed it again haha. So, forward once again and wait, then suddenly we saw movement, the leopard went up the hill on the opposite side….wait….it were two leopards. Two leopards and finally we all saw them. But it looked like they wanted to cross the road in our direction so we moved back and followed the road. Saw them again and into hiding. This happened a few times until we just stopped and waited. Than the biggest surprise came when they crossed the road. It weren’t two leopards but 3! 3 big leopards together? Amazing sighting, probably mother with 2 subadults. Sorry for this long summary but I was just reliving the moment when I type this story haha.
    After a while, the guided game drives also made their way towards us and asked us about sightings, when we told them they just missed 3 leopards they were probably thinking we were liars, but the photos confirmed it and they started searching immediately. Well we had our prize so moved on past the vehicles. Then another surprise popped up, 20m of where the leopards crossed the roads, was a male lion sleeping next to it. So finally we had our predators! For my friends, it was the first time Africa and a leopard was high on the wish list for everyone, but 3 was simply amazing. So you can imagine we drank a few nice Nile beers and Amarulas on this great day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Three Leopards.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	547159
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dutchie, thank you for this trip report. I'm enjoying it very much. And whow, three leopards, seen together, in Kidepo!? Whow!

Funny enough, you were saying elephants are scarce in Kidepo. We've seen huge herds of them there, in their hundreds even, on every game drive. But of course, we haven't seen a single leopard. This is just to prove that every visit to the same park is different. And that is the sheer beauty of trips to Africa - they never cease to amaze!
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Amazing thanks three leopards together!!! I have been to Kidepo what an experience. Will make a plan to go back.

Would exchange luggage for three leopards any time...
    Thanks for sharing this amazing trip!

Wow! Three leopards! What a thrill for you.

Our abiding memory of the beautiful Kidepo is also of huge herds of elephant - and the famous huge herds of buffalo.

Thank you for this excellent report.

Day 6 – Kidepo Valley NP – Kidepo Savannah Lodge

Last night was the first night the lions were quiet, did they move out of the area? Also, we heard that the lions which we heard really close around Savannah Lodge were actually on the veranda of the ranger post at the gate. So they were inside doors locked with some lions roaring all night, too funny! The plan was to sleep at Nagusokopire but heavy rains in the afternoon literally washed those plans away. So last day in Kidepo, after those 3 leopards, what can you wish for? So we picked up Gilbert for the last game drive together and headed towards the waterhole again. You pass straight through Nagusokopire campsite. The campsite itself is surrounded by big rocks, an open rondavel and some ablutions with probably no running water. Great location, so if you are ever traveling to Kidepo. I suggest you try both Kakine and Nagusokopire! Well back to the game drive. We end up at the waterhole, no leopards nor lions, too bad. So we headed back. Meanwhile I got a text from an Aussie couple which we exchanged numbers with that there was a couple of lions at Nagusokopire. We were already en-route so all good. We found out we missed an exit and were taking a long detour around the area but in the direction of Nagusokopire. Well, it is lions we’re talking about, they’re probably there until the late afternoon. So we took the detour and I was looking at this weird big thing. Too big for a warthog, too low for a buffalo calf…..Lion! It was a big male but it was looking down so at first we only saw it’s back. So pretty cool sighting. After enjoying this big boy we turned around and headed towards Nagusokopire Campsite. And yes, the couple was still there. Enjoying the sunshine on the rocks of the campsite. Probably a good to choice to sleep at the lodge after all haha. The festival tents vs curious lions would be very interesting at least. Pretty cool to watch them with the amazing views of Kidepo in the background. Around 11 we drove Gilbert back to UWA Apoka HQ and got a nice meal at the HQ. There’s a lot of bandas, a reception and a small restaurant. For the restaurant you have to order in advance. They served us a great beef stew with rice. 10/10 would recommend. After saying goodbye to our new friend Gilbert we moved back to Kidepo Savannah Lodge, chilled for a while and did one final game drive. Just general game but one ‘special’. There was a buffalo that had a snare around his horns which was already grown into his horns and skull. So it was part of him now. He looked ok and was really relaxed. You would expect him to be dangerous and they are culling these animals sometimes just to avoid any dangers.
    Conclusion; Kidepo Valley NP is an absolute treasure. Amazing views, great sightings (I think it’s hard to miss the lions if you stay around 3-4 days since they spend a lot of time on the rocks) and great people (all the rangers were too nice and also Kidepo Savannah Lodge has great, great staff.)
    Kidepo Valley NP – 10!
    Kakine Campsite; great overview, nicely located on a hill. Ablutions didn’t work, but personally I don’t care. 10/10
    Nagusokopire Campsite; great location amidst a lot of rocks. Possible hideout for lions so can save a lot of fuel looking for them. 10/10
    Kidepo Savannah Lodge – 10! Great food, amazing view from rooms and restaurant and the most friendly staff you can wish for.
    Day 7 – Kidepo Savannah Lodge - Fort Murchison – 0700 / 15:30h 8,5h (2 stops)

The final sunrise in Kidepo was magical and it was time to say goodbye to this beautiful place. We left around 0700 for Fort Murchison, a lodge located on the shores of the Nile just 10-15 minutes driving from Tanghi Gate (Northern Murchison Falls NP). En-route to Kitgum, the road was ok, even after heavy rains. Between Karenga town and the park gates, they were improving the roads to get it even more accessible. (adding drainage etc.) It took us 3h and 30 minutes to get to Kitgum. We got some money at the bank (you can use Barclays, Stanbic but also others will probably work), filled up the tank at Shell Kitgum and moved towards Fort Murchison near the town of Pakwach. The Aussies also headed to Fort Murchison and they left just before us. We drove from Kitgum straight through Gulu. In the meantime, we passed the Aussies before Gulu. Mrs. Muzungu had no problems with the annoying low speed bumps but the Extended Land Cruiser they used was thinking differently about it. After Gulu according to Maps.Me there was a shortcut. And guess who took it? Yep, we did! A nice sandy route straight through the fields, plantations, and other no man’s land. It was bumpy, sometimes wet and narrow but we made it. From there we had a tar road and we made it to Fort Murchison around 15:30. Guess who was already there? The Aussies of course. They didn’t use the detour (local driver knows best ) and they were already chilling by the pool while we arrived thinking we had the quickest route. Well, we didn’t but it was a nice adventure with a lot of waving, smiling and shouting hellos to the local kids. After a dip in the pool, we met up with our friend Billy from Selfdrive Uganda. He brought our luggage which we were so happy to see. He could probably smell us because he found us at the pool instead of the restaurant. So nice of him to bring it. Fort Murchison is also a part of NatureLodges and has the same meal plan like Kidepo. Also great food and nice staff. They offer rooms and tents. We slept like babies after the long tour and with fresh clothes we were ready for Murchison Falls NP!

PS: I will add photos of the lions at Nagusokopire and the snared buffalo later!

Thank you for this terrific further instalment on your adventures in Uganda. What luck you had with lions in Kidepo.

Hallelujah! You were reunited with your luggage.

Great read and adventure to match. Keep it coming! Thank you again for the report.

Day 8 – Murchison Falls NP – Fort Murchison

New National Park, new adventure! Murchison Falls is our new love for the coming days. Driving from Fort Murchison to Tanghi Gate takes around 15 minutes. On our way to the gate we had a first, great sighting. Two Shoebill Storks were hunting in the swampy area close to the gate. After enjoying these amazing birds we headed for the gate. At the gate we got ourselves a ranger, Wellborn was his name (hope I write his name like this). He was a great addition to our squad. A very experienced ranger which also teached us how he was looking for animals. Wellborn told us to stop the car to check an alarm call of a Helmeted Guinaefowl. We actually saw something sneaking but I was just too late to see what it was. From the corner of my eye I saw it sneaking and we suspect that it was a leopard but unfortunately no confirmation. Eventually we came to a bridge, a horrible bridge. A high concrete bridge full of holes, if you don’t cross it in a straight line with caution you could end up a few meters lower in a small river which leads to the Nile. We made it safely and eventually we ended up in a beautiful savannah area. Loads of Ugandan Kobs and Topi’s with a giraffe here and there. Pretty cool! We moved further towards the delta and Wellborn showed us potential campsites in the Delta to do the Wilderness Camping. We also drove to the Paraa Ferry spot and checked the Public Campsite. A great elevated spot next to the river but unfortunately crowded with tsetse flies. After a great game drive with a lot of general game we came back to Fort Murchison for a nice lunch. After lunch another game drive but again no cats but beautiful sceneries with cool animals. Another great day in paradise.

Day 9

After a good night of sleep it was time for the next full day of safari. We hoped to find some big cats today unfortunately we couldn’t find any. During our game drive we took a ‘wrong turn’, well it was not really a wrong turn but it went straight to the rangers camp. The guys were playing cards, we got out and chatted for a bit. They were the most friendly people you will ever find and we had a fun time with them. At the end of our morning safari we encountered a big elephant bull. The road was around 1 meter lower than the savannah so it we could get really close without bothering him. After exploring if he was keen on us being there we could get as close as we wanted. He was eating some bushes next to the road and we had really nice wide angle possibilities. The fact that he couldn’t get close to us too fast comforted us because it was a giant, and luckily a gentle one. After a while the road and savannah levelled and it was easy for him to get reaaaaally close to us so we kept our distance. He eventually got close to a herd of elephants and some younger males joined him in feeding and probably needed some attention of the big boss. Amazing sighting and again shows that it’s not just about the big cats. Personally this one of my highlights from this trip. So the plan was to head back to the lodge for lunch and then towards the delta for a camp adventure. But as always in the bush, plans change. We drove back towards the gate through the rangers place again and chatted a bit. After a while a big herd of elephants went to drink at the Nile, which their base was next to. So we could walk towards them and have a great sighting of elephants big and small enjoying some drinks and nice showers. After chatting a bit more, they even offered us to have supper with them but the fish which was drying in the sun wasn’t giving us much appetite haha. They understood that our stomachs were not built for that level yet. So our plan changed to get some food and fuel at Pakwach, and go back into the park to pick up a ranger from a different ranger camp for our next game drive. When we entered Pakwach, we went for fuel first and found out there was a local market, probably an everyday market but fun to check out. So we drove Mrs Muzungu into the narrow streets and checked the street vendors. For them probably a bit weird to see 3 muzungus in a big Land Cruiser checking out their goods haha. We came to a dead end and had to reverse, but next to the road was a nice lady making fried cassava. We tried one and came to the conclusion it was like French fries. We ordered a big bunch, happy faces everywhere and proceeded through the backroads of Pakwach back to the bridge which gives entry to the village and which crosses the Nile. Just before the bridge we got suddenly stopped by a military guy armed with an AK (just like the rest of Uganda police/military haha). With a policeman and a soldier on both sides of the car, they both start talking and explaining why the stopped us at the same time, so after quite some confusion, one starts over. The conversation went a bit like this; “You crossed an illegal checkpoint, came from a road where there is a lot of illegal contraband and untaxed goods” (Pakwach is on the Congo side of the Nile). Allright, sorry for that Sir, but how should we know we can’t drive there? “There is a police checkpoint on the main road, you are supposed to go trough there”. Allright but we didn’t know and there were no signs that we couldn’t pass. “But it’s illegal, what are you doing there?” Well, sightseeing. “Where’s your guide?” We don’t have a guide. “confused…” “Allright let’s get in the car, we go to the police station”. Uhm okay, so we made some space and the policeman and soldier hopped in. I asked them who was watching the illegal checkpoint now and they both were asking immediately “Is someone crossing!??!?” Uhm no, but no one is watching now? “Well it didn’t seem important anymore since they got the catch of the day. So we drove the 200m to the police station and I went inside with the two men. We entered an office and I sat down. I could hear the police lady talking to them and in English/Some language she was asking them why they brought me here. So they all walked out, leaving me behind. I couldn’t hold myself not to laugh a bit and while grinning on the little bench in the office, I could hear the men coming back with a senior officer/boss. “Why are you taking this people? This people are tourists, they bring a lot of money into our country, they are lost. We are not supposed to just take them”. They called me in and the officer told me to please forgive the men for the confusion. I told them they were just doing their job and a good one since they got me and that there was of course no problem. So nice adventure in Pakwach. Dropped the men at the bridge again and headed back to the park. Went to get our ranger from the delta area and went looking for a nice wilderness campsite. (you pay $40 per person for wilderness camping, they have certain allocated spots where you can camp but you can choose a lot right next to the Nile.) From the beginning it was clear that Philip our guide wasn’t speaking English very well, like almost none. No problem, we can manage it with hands and feet. But also, he didn’t speak much. So after a while we managed to find out we found a spot. It was quite funny, we felt like aliens in another world. Anyway, we got a cool campsite near the Nile and did a 1 hour ‘evening drive’. Unfortunately no nocturnal animals. Back at the campsite a hippo and its baby were feeding on the grass around it and the local Kob family was snoozing on the bank as well, since it has open view they can see anything coming. Also nice for us since we had an alarm crew now. Well that was day 2 in Murchison Falls. Sorry for the loooong recap of the Police adventure but it was too funny and I also use this report for my own memories haha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Majestic.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	886.9 KB 
ID:	548211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mud Play.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	862.9 KB 
ID:	548212
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2019/11/19 at 12:50 AM.

Thank you very much, Dutchie, for this next exciting installment. I am fascinated to hear that there is a lodge on the north side of Murchison Falls National Park near(ish) Pakwach. This must be a new lodge and I had a look on their website. Thanks for letting the forum know about this lodge and tented camp.

Looking forward to your next installment.

Safari njema!

Sorry for the confusion. It’s not on the Pakwach side of the Nile. It’s in line with a few other lodges on the opposite side of Pakwach. But still close to the park. Good food, nice rooms/tents. And loved the pool!

Quote Originally Posted by DutchieGoingAfrica View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. ItÂ’s not on the Pakwach side of the Nile. ItÂ’s in line with a few other lodges on the opposite side of Pakwach. But still close to the park. Good food, nice rooms/tents. And loved the pool!
    Yes, I saw that Fort Murchison Lodge was on the east side of the river. It is just that there weren’t lodges anywhere on that stretch of the river north of the Park - until recently. Obviously, the Ugandan government have given permission (and concessions?) for lodges and camps to be built in that former game reserve.

Pakwach and the western side of the Nile is still a no-go zone. Idi Amin was from Arua on that western side of the Nile. There are many refugee camps in that area west of the Nile (people fleeing from the DRC).
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/11/20 at 11:03 AM.

Day 10 - Murchison Falls NP - Fort Murchison

Good morning Murchison Falls! After a great night of bush camping, it was time for another day of game driving. We dropped off Philip and went on a game drive. We were lucky to find two lions on the remains of a topi. Hyenas were scattering around waiting for the lions to drop the leftovers. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a really good sighting (far away) so we moved on. We drove through the delta area again and also crossed the savannahs. With great landscapes, it’s a big pleasure to do be on a drive even if you don’t have the ‘big sightings’. We found a pair of shoebills at the swamp area close to the Nile. Nice to take some shots and enjoy them looking for food. Furthermore no spectacular moments, so we drove back to the lodge. After a nice dip in the pool at Fort Murchison, we went for a lovely lunch and we met two German girls/ladies who were on a short vacation after a work trip. We found out they hired a driver with a van to go to the park the next day and had some work planned at the lodge that evening. Well, since we have a big car and like to share adventures, we invited them for a game drive in Miss Muzungu. They loved the idea and so the party went up to 5 pax. One of the girls hadn’t been on a safari before so it was a good try out to do some amateur guiding haha. We had lovely sightings of giraffe and the smallest elephants you can imagine. After some time driving it was time to head back since the gate closes around 1900. Unfortunately, there was a family of elephants with different plans. They blocked the route. Some young bulls were playing tough guy with each other and there were some mothers with youngsters. So we decided it was best to drive aaaaaaaaall the way back the other way. So we were far too late at the gate but luckily they didn’t really care about it. They aren’t really strict on those times since it wasn’t our first time arriving in darkness (we got lost before haha). Still a nice afternoon/night drive. After another great dinner at the lodge it was time to pack our stuff again and prepare for the next day. Driving towards Kibale Forest NP!

Sorry for the late responses..always need to find some time and it takes me way more time to write than to read it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast