Uganda Selfdrive Trip '19 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Uganda Selfdrive Trip '19

Day 11 – Fort Murchison – Kibale Forest Camp (7h 25m)

Onto the primates! Having an early breakfast our plan was to reach the 0700 ferry to the other side of the Nile. Enroute to Kibale we picked up a +1, an employee of Fort Murchison lived in Fort Portal so we took him to save him a 24u trip from Pakwach to Kampala to Fort Portal. When we arrived at the ferry side, we got redirected towards the new bridge they built (Chinese are constructing several things in the park to gather some resources like oil etc). So it was an easy crossing but we forgot to pay the ferry crossing. Luckily he lets us trough and we passed the remaining part of Murchison Falls NP in no time. From the park, we crossed several villages which Maps.Me guided us through perfectly (this time no weird detours ;-) ) After a while we passed the flat areas and we arrived at ‘the mountains’. One of the big advantages of the Chinese mining/oil business is that they construct/improve roads here and there. So there are these really wide roads (sometimes tar/sometimes still busy constructing). So we passed the first mountains easily and all of a sudden we came to a completely different environment. A lot of hills with coffee/tea plantations. Very green, very cool. When filled up thirsty Miss Muzungu at a Total in Hoima and proceeded towards Kibale trough Kyenjojo. A great drive and after a total of 7h 25m we arrived at Kibale Forest Camp, another lodge of NatureLodges. Since we had quite some time left, we booked a Bigodi Swamp Tour, a community guided tour through the swamps. There is a big chance to see a wide variety of primates, birds like kingfishers, grey-headed parrots and the great blue turaco. We had a great time with a local guide. We saw black and white colobus, red colobus, red-tailed monkey and a lot of kingfishers species and other cool birds. After our tour, we went back to the lodge. There’s a nice loop around the lodge as well so we walked that part and came across a lot of monkeys again. Lovely day and a great diversity of animals just around camp. Also way different than the previous days. We loved it! After another great dinner, we did a night walk around the lodge with a lodge guard. Saw some bushbabies in the distance. After a few beers, we called it the day and prepared for our chimpanzee habituation experience the following day.

Apologies for troubling you but can you please detail where this new bridge is, replacing the ferry.
    Is this the ferry within Murchison NP at Paraa and is the new bridge over the Nile there?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

The bridge is really close to the ferry, between Nile and ferry. I’m not sure if they will keep it for visitors or Chinese business only. So its within the NP, next to the ferry.

Asante sana, Dutchie, for this next exciting instalment on your Ugandan adventure.

Thank you Dutchie for these installments. Really looking forward to next ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Apologies for troubling you but can you please detail where this new bridge is, replacing the ferry.
    Is this the ferry within Murchison NP at Paraa and is the new bridge over the Nile there?
    Times are a-changing in the lovely Murchison Falls. Please see this from the Rainforest Rescue which explains the development. https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/pe...urchison-falls. And also look on the Tullow Oil Uganda website.

I did some detailed digging on the internet into the new road, bridge and the oil exploration a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can’t find the good links I found then. From what I remember, the bridge seems to be part of the Ugandan government’s road network and will be a public road.

Ortelius said after his trip to Uganda that the new bridge was visible from the public campsite on the north bank of the Nile.

The one bit of very good news is that the proposed hydroelectric dam at Murchison Falls has been scrapped after opposition from the Uganda Wildlife Authority, the community, and other environmental organisations.

Yes, indeed this bridge at Paraa will be public one and will replace existing ferry. Here's a recent tweet from Uganda National Road Authority (although the photo of the bridge seems more like an artificial graphics than a real photo). https://twitter.com/UNRA_UG/status/1...335488/photo/1
    Last edited by ortelius; 2019/12/04 at 09:41 AM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Thanks Dutchie, WW and Ortelius. I don't know where I have been not to have picked up on this - another planet?

It does not bode well for Murchison at all and it indeed appears as if this new bridge and road are at Paraa and the present site of the ferry. Not surprised to see the Chinese involved but it is not good to see France's Total and the UKs Tullow Oil also involved to some extent. Money talks!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Thanks Dutchie, WW and Ortelius. I don't know where I have been not to have picked up on this - another planet?

It does not bode well for Murchison at all and it indeed appears as if this new bridge and road are at Paraa and the present site of the ferry. Not surprised to see the Chinese involved but it is not good to see France's Total and the UKs Tullow Oil also involved to some extent. Money talks!
    It is called the Tilenga Project. Please see this from the Ugandan National Environment Management Authority from May 2018. http://nema.go.ug/sites/all/themes/n...I_13-09-18.pdf. The Executive Summary starts at page 65 or thereabouts, and the maps are from page 85.

Some of the things have been superseded, I understand, like the pipeline to Tanga, Tanzania. I cannot imagine what route had been planned from Murchison Falls to Tanga, Tanzania - its a long old way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3