Forum members on YouTube - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Forum members on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

I see what you mean, I did produce it in HD, (1920 x 1080). For the next one will try even higher. Not sure why Youtube sort of compressed it. Will try 2560 x 1440 (the highest Hitfilm Express can do)

Thanks for the comments, will try and include those going forward. Need to get the confidence to add my voice (you know you sound stupid to yourself )
    I don't think that it is the answer to go to 2560 x 1440. Something else is wrong, I suspect. Perhaps a setting in your video editing software? What do you use?

As a side note, I use WinX HD Video Converter to compress my files before uploading, doesn't seem to stuff up the quality noticeably.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I don't think that it is the answer to go to 2560 x 1440. Something else is wrong, I suspect. Perhaps a setting in your video editing software? What do you use?

As a side note, I use WinX HD Video Converter to compress my files before uploading, doesn't seem to stuff up the quality noticeably.
    I use Hitfilm Express. I don't compress them before I upload them.

When I play the video on my TV at home the quality is good, so not sure if there is a setting on youtube when uploading?

I had a bit of a issue with my Iphone, it uses the .mov format. It further then compressed it making it unreadable to some program and I had to convert it to MP4 again.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Will try the next one with voice and see how it goes.8)
    Did you reload it? Just watched and the quality is spot on...

Nice vid!
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

It also seems as if youtube does compress it a bit when uploading.

When watching also select the video quality to be 1920x1080, by default this is on auto and might depend on your connection speed.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Did you reload it? Just watched and the quality is spot on...

Nice vid!
    Thank you.

No, did not reload it, might be related to internet speed and the view setting?
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Fresh uploads are published in low resolution first. As Youtube processes it in the background, the higher resolutions become available.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

What about producing in AVI vs MP4?
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Here is the link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/jjjtigu...da&app=desktop

The clips date back to 2006, so please pardon the quality of the early ones, as the camera could only shoot at VGA resolution. Also, apologies for the lack of variation, showing almost exclusively sand-related stuff.

A number of clips are related to posts made on the forum, and mostly cover the cars I have owned/own - Forester, Tiguan, Freelander 2 and XC60 - usually to evaluate some mod done to improve clearance or increase underbody protection.

Except for the Volvo, they all had standard sized road-going tyres on, deflated to as low as 0.6 bar.

One clip demonstrates my irritation with sand-drive trails specifying the necessity of having low-range/diff-lock. Thankfully, this seems to have become less relevant as the value of modern TC has been thoroughly demonstrated over time. A case in point, the Subaru - on the 2006 Luderitz/Saddle Hill trip - did not have any of that. Only a viscous clutch between front and rear axles.

All of my vehicles shown has been lifted by between 10mm and 30mm, so please bear this in mind before attempting the same.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/01/10 at 10:53 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

What about producing in AVI vs MP4?
    MP4 is fine, the difference is how you render the final file that you upload. I don't know Hitfilm Express but it looks like it has presets for YouTube exports (Frame rates, field order, aspect, render depth, bitrates etc. etc.) maybe just check that you're using the right preset; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH87MhCYGFY

What camera(s) are you using? I also noticed you're using 30fps, rather use 24fps (on the camera), it is more natural and cinematic

Then just as a side note, have a look at Davinci Resolve (free home version), great editing software

I use Hitfilm Express. I don't compress them before I upload them.

When I play the video on my TV at home the quality is good, so not sure if there is a setting on youtube when uploading?

I had a bit of a issue with my Iphone, it uses the .mov format. It further then compressed it making it unreadable to some program and I had to convert it to MP4 again.
    Maybe try recording with a different camera to isolate the problem? Might be the the camera itself or the conversion from .mov to MP4. The quality isn't horrible but there is no harm in trying to experiment in order to make it better.
    Defender 2.8i

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    MP4 is fine, the difference is how you render the final file that you upload. I don't know Hitfilm Express but it looks like it has presets for YouTube exports (Frame rates, field order, aspect, render depth, bitrates etc. etc.) maybe just check that you're using the right preset; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH87MhCYGFY

What camera(s) are you using? I also noticed you're using 30fps, rather use 24fps (on the camera), it is more natural and cinematic

Then just as a side note, have a look at Davinci Resolve (free home version), great editing software
    Thanks Christoff

Yes, I am using the Youtube preset when exporting.

At this stage my Camera gear is limited, I am using my Iphone 8, GroPro (Hero 3) and sometime my Nikon D3200 (kit lenses).

I have heard good comments about Davince Resolve, will try it. What software are you using?

So far I am happy with Hitfilm, my only problem is my laptop, it gets very slow when the videos get large.

Do you think 24FPS will work for vehicle videos where there is a lot of movement?
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Note, on my Iphone I can only select 30 or 60 FPS.

See I can record in 4K, should maybe use this instead of 60 FPS as I am not really doing Slow motions?
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Eeeee ... if your laptop is already struggling I don't think its going to be able to handle 4k
    Defender 2.8i

Thanks Christoff

Yes, I am using the Youtube preset when exporting.

At this stage my Camera gear is limited, I am using my Iphone 8, GroPro (Hero 3) and sometime my Nikon D3200 (kit lenses).

I have heard good comments about Davince Resolve, will try it. What software are you using?

So far I am happy with Hitfilm, my only problem is my laptop, it gets very slow when the videos get large.

Do you think 24FPS will work for vehicle videos where there is a lot of movement?
    Have a look at some YT videos re. 24 vs 30fps. 24fps is what you want, even with high movement. 60/120 when you want to do slow-motion and 30 for gaming.

You'll find with the iPhone and GoPro the picture quality isn't all that great (unless you have an X and Hero7 black maybe). Have a look at some tutorials about colour grading as well though, you want to grade your different camera footage to look as similar as possible. Don't stress too much about perfect quality in the beginning, your videos look fine. The best camera is the one you have with you I'd say focus on the content first, learn as you go (I'm still learning too) and worry about the gear later (as an example, go look at early videos of Ronny Dahl etc).

I use Adobe Premiere Pro. Yup video rendering needs plenty PC oomph, again something you can invest in over time

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Note, on my Iphone I can only select 30 or 60 FPS.

See I can record in 4K, should maybe use this instead of 60 FPS as I am not really doing Slow motions?
    Yeah, for iPhone to shoot 24fps you need something like Filmic Pro

If 30 is all you can work with for now then use that (across cameras). 60fps only for slow mo.

I wouldn't worry about 4K (and will kill your PC if it's already struggling with 1080 like albertvl says)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Have a look at some YT videos re. 24 vs 30fps. 24fps is what you want, even with high movement. 60/120 when you want to do slow-motion and 30 for gaming.

You'll find with the iPhone and GoPro the picture quality isn't all that great (unless you have an X and Hero7 black maybe). Have a look at some tutorials about colour grading as well though, you want to grade your different camera footage to look as similar as possible. Don't stress too much about perfect quality in the beginning, your videos look fine. The best camera is the one you have with you I'd say focus on the content first, learn as you go (I'm still learning too) and worry about the gear later (as an example, go look at early videos of Ronny Dahl etc).

I use Adobe Premiere Pro. Yup video rendering needs plenty PC oomph, again something you can invest in over time
    Thanks Christoff, appreciate the advise.

Agree about learning. Already learned a lot from my previous attempts to the latest one.

Will do some reading/watching on the rendering to see how I can match the cameras.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Excellent thread this. Keep it up. We need to get more quality content onto YT from South Africa. Even if everyone starts with small and basic clips. Compared to some 4wd-centred channels from Australia, we are miles behind. I'm also starting to think about creating short trip reports etc... we'll see if it happens!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vroommm For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vroommm View Post
    Excellent thread this. Keep it up. We need to get more quality content onto YT from South Africa. Even if everyone starts with small and basic clips. Compared to some 4wd-centred channels from Australia, we are miles behind. I'm also starting to think about creating short trip reports etc... we'll see if it happens!
    One then actually starts to appreciate good content and also the effort that goes into this.

Getting the required shot you want and the number of shots needed.

For example I put together a family video of or recent vacation. 2 weeks gave me about 40 min. Now imagine if you want to put together a full series (Like Ronny Dahl or ASPW).

Also the time you need to put in to edit it. Took me 2 weeks for those 40 min. I can only work on it late in the evenings...
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

I guess there's also a difference between the pro's and us weekend warriors. Imagine traversing the same piece of track 3, 4, 5 or 6 times to get various camera angles, placing cameras on distant hilltops and trying to operate a drone while driving. That will spoil my trip very quickly. But I still think good quality content can be produced without too much effort. Vlog-style approach can also work very well ..

Thanks for this, now to start to learn to use it...
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast