Reversing a caravan uphill, ????? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Reversing a caravan uphill, ?????

start on a flat surface. Go slightly forward, then start reversing. You don't want to come to a stop engaging the caravan brakes and then try to reverse. They will disengage with difficulty if they are already applied. So drive forward to release brakes, coasting to a halt. Then you reverse.

If after the test indicated by Marius and brakes are checked and it is still a problem you could see the type of bracket many caravaners have used in the past to overcome this problem. My Sprite can be reversed up a steep slope without brakes being applied and have never needed such a bracket and the hitch does not have the special lever to prevent brakes from being applied in reverse.

https://www.caravanparks.com/35.Cara...e#ForumsAnchor

[
    Ek het dieselfde probleem met my Raven gehad. Die remme is tog geneig om effens te rem as jy agteruit stoot, Ek het 'n gadget gemaak wat tussen die jockey wiel en die haak indruk. Dan beweeg die stang glad nie agtertoe nie en die wa stoot maklik
    Ek weet ongelukkig nie hoe om 'n foto te laai nie
    Kontak my direk dat epos ek n foto
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Wilson Terblanche; 2018/11/26 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Remember to enjoy the scenery while travelling a detour

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson Terblanche For This Useful Post:

Slightly OT, but do yourself a favour and remove your spare wheel and bracket from the front. It adds about 30kg to tow ball weight, which anyway exceeds max allowed weight.
    My Nomad pushed my bathroom scale meter way beyond max, so i removed setup and now put sparewheel in van, to rear in order to further reduce tow ball weight up front
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2018/11/26 at 02:19 PM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skallywag View Post
    Thanks again all for the advice.
    I had the brakes checked and adjusted just 2 weeks ago while getting it through roadworthy. It was done by Getaway Trailers in East London.
    Think I must take it back to them.

Get to a dealer not some trailer guy.

Check the attachment from Marius Fourie. Above

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crichton For This Useful Post:

Skallywag, your system is very similar to mine and is probably working fine as it's recently serviced. You just need to practice a bit so that you avoid any forward momentum before you start reversing. Practice on flat ground and check that the breaks are not activating when reversing. Once you have the hang of it going uphill should be easy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to glassman For This Useful Post:

had the same problem when driving backwards on the trailor it has the alko system ,open the the wheel hubs and check the system in the hub ,mine had a support thingy that broke off twice and now i gave it a good weld and adjusted the system again, all good now ,will try to get the pics ,

just check both hubs you might or might not see something, but it is a learning curve for me .

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:

here is the pics of the problem i had .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180927_174512.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	511173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180927_174529.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	511174  

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skallywag View Post
    Hi All, I have just bought a Sprite Scout Nomad caravan, Now I last owned a caravan about 35 years ago and they have changed a bit since then.My problem is that I have to reverse the caravan about 30 meters up my driveway to get it into my yard, and its all uphill, as the caravan is now pushing against the car, its brakes come on and its a real battle to get it up.I had to go into low range and still had smoke coming from the clutch when I got it to the top.So what I would like to know is there a way that one can disengage the brakes in a case like this.All help will be appreciated.
    Another thing to consider besides the brake issue, is to fit a tow hook on the front of the vehicle ( a little off set to the left) for easier handling instead of reversing....

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter B View Post
    Another thing to consider besides the brake issue, is to fit a tow hook on the front of the vehicle ( a little off set to the left) for easier handling instead of reversing....
    I have fitted a tow-ball to the front bumper of my Disco 2 Td5 auto. I have no problem reversing any trailer as I've had lots of practice over the years but it makes parking my Xplorer van in a carport so much easier. Most 4x4 vehicles have limited turning angle on the front wheels and the ratio in the steering box isn't a quick rack either. Having the "turning" wheels the ones closest to the hitch makes it much easier to manoeuvre and see where the van or trailer is going. With the Disco being an auto I also find selecting low-range gives me much better control getting rolling.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2