Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Advice Wanted on a telescope

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Superman View Post
    Hi everybody.

Was reading through this thread and must say, much more technical and interesting than I thought Totally confused.

Swambo mentioned she wants to get a telescope for her birthday....which is 3 weeks away. Where on earth do I start?
    She is in the environmental game and have al these apps on her phone with galaxy views and star identification and all those fancy stuff.
    I did some searches and OMW im totally deurmekaar.
    Celestron looks like a good name from what I can read, or any other recommendations perhaps please?
    It will purely be for amateur viewing some nights when we sit outside having a glass of wine. Don't know if the telescopes with the laptop attachments and all those fancy stuff is necessary, or is it? I got no idea. LOL

Obviously working with a budget, I see scopes from 2k to 150k for beginners. What will be a good allrounder telescope for her to use at home?
    I also see you get some attachments for the telescope and carry bags and and and.
    My budget will be around the 10k mark for the full setup. Will that be OK or am I totally out with it to get a decent telescope for her birthday?

All advice and recommendations will be highly appreciated and please keep in mind I got no idea what im talking about so technical stuff will confuse me even more Just the best telescope for her for my budget I guess.
    Contact any local astronomy club and take her one night to a "star party". Let her look through scopes and decide if the image that she will see through a commercial scope matches with the glorious pictures on the internet. It did not for me, we have been spoiled with superb recolored imagery that one will seldom see through a 10k scope. I just don't want her expectation levels dashed like mine were after completion of the scope. I donated mine to Randburg Hoerskool's astronomy club.

If she likes it and is handy perhaps sign her on for a telescope making course and let her make her own. It is real fun.

https://astronomyjhb.co.za/telescope...g-classes-atm/ The classes I am sure are still run by Chris Stewart, a fine fellow of infinite patience and great assistance.

A scope for planetary work is rather different than for deep sky work like nebulae etc. So she will need to select either or face the limitations of a compromise.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2019/05/21 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Contact any local astronomy club and take her one night to a "star party". Let her look through scopes and decide if the image that she will see through a commercial scope matches with the glorious pictures on the internet. It did not for me, we have been spoiled with superb recolored imagery that one will seldom see through a 10k scope. I just don't want her expectation levels dashed like mine were after completion of the scope. I donated mine to Randburg Hoerskool's astronomy club.

If she likes it and is handy perhaps sign her on for a telescope making course and let her make her own. It is real fun.

https://astronomyjhb.co.za/telescope...g-classes-atm/ The classes I am sure are still run by Chris Stewart, a fine fellow of infinite patience and great assistance.

A scope for planetary work is rather different than for deep sky work like nebulae etc. So she will need to select either or face the limitations of a compromise.

Hi Andrew

Thank you for the info and advice.
    I got in contact with "the telescope shop" there in Brakpan. Very friendly lady explained all the fancy words for me and what to look for etc.
    I will go make a turn there at their shop and see how they can assist with the best buy for my budget.
    Thank you for the assistance.
    Stefan

2020 Land Cruiser 79 D/C with a ferw extra's
    2023 Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8 XR (Swambo platkar)
    2022 VW Caddy (daily platkar)
    2022 Raasblaar 4 sleeper Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post

As mentioned, im totally dumb when it comes to these star gazing telescopes
    I was advised that maybe the reflecting telescope, Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope, might be a good option for my wife's birthday present together with some filters and moon filters and and and.
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Superman View Post
    Hi Andrew

Thank you for the info and advice.
    I got in contact with "the telescope shop" there in Brakpan. Very friendly lady explained all the fancy words for me and what to look for etc.
    I will go make a turn there at their shop and see how they can assist with the best buy for my budget.
    Thank you for the assistance.
    Hi there

I am very involved with ASSA ( Astronomical Society of Southern Africa) and deal with requests like this on a weekly basic.I cannot agree more with Andrew. It would be a huge mistake to just go out and buy a telescope without first having looked through a few telescopes and understanding the pros and cons behind each type of scope. Reflectors like the Orion XT8 are great telescopes but require constant alignment of the mirrors (collimation). This is not something a beginner should attempt without very experienced help.

Once she has made up her mind then look for something on Gumtree. Local ASSA members always have scopes for sale and it will cost you a whole lot less than a new scope.

Chris Stewart is still very involved with ASSA and will be more than will to assist anyone with advice.

You are also more than welcome to contact me for assistance. My number is 079 515 3571

Regards
    Marius Reitz
    Marius Reitz
    Nissan Xtrail
    Astronomy and Telescopes

• 13.1 inch custom built truss telescope on a dobsonian mount
    • 10 inch Meade SCT on a CGEM mount
    • 8 inch Celestron SCT Powerstar
    • 8 inch Skywatcher reflector on a Celestron CGEM mount
    • 12 inch Orion SkyQuest
    • 5 inch Alter Maksutov Cassegrain on a EQ4 mount
    • 15x70 Celestron Skymaster binoculars on a parallelogram mount

Come visit us at Leeuwenboschfontein Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
    Hi there

I am very involved with ASSA ( Astronomical Society of Southern Africa) and deal with requests like this on a weekly basic.I cannot agree more with Andrew. It would be a huge mistake to just go out and buy a telescope without first having looked through a few telescopes and understanding the pros and cons behind each type of scope. Reflectors like the Orion XT8 are great telescopes but require constant alignment of the mirrors (collimation). This is not something a beginner should attempt without very experienced help.

Once she has made up her mind then look for something on Gumtree. Local ASSA members always have scopes for sale and it will cost you a whole lot less than a new scope.

Chris Stewart is still very involved with ASSA and will be more than will to assist anyone with advice.

You are also more than welcome to contact me for assistance. My number is 079 515 3571

Regards
    Marius Reitz

Hi Marius

Thanks a lot for the advice and help. It is always good to get insight from the pro's before one just go and buy these type of things I know nothing about.
    I will certainly give you a call soon for some advice and ideas. I really appreciate the help.
    Stefan

One important point I could not pick up that was not mentioned on this thread yet - Having the correct eyepieces is just as important as selecting the correct telescope.

Most telescopes offer a Plossl or two and that is it. Also a telescope with a 2 focuser is a huge advantage. Buying one or two wide angle eyepieces with a good quality Barlow lens (2X or 2.5X but not more) will save you money in buying too many different eyepiece sizes.

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone through the telescope eyepiece (not ideal but okay) of the moon, Sirius, the Jewel box in Crux and the great nebula in orion (M40)

I am not so much into the photography side of astronomy but rather finding the celestial objects myself with a good old Dobsonian mount

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2019-02-14, 19 46 21.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	528980

Name:	photo 2019-02-03, 20 25 00.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	528981

Name:	photo 2019-03-29, 20 42 21.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	528983

Name:	photo 2019-03-29, 20 54 56.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	528984

No, Sirius is not a pulsar, it is just a lot of false light and colour reflection from my cellphone cover

I have a Meade Lightbridge 12 Dobsonian reflector.

Name:	photo 2019-02-03, 19 19 36.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	528985
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2019-03-08, 06 00 21.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	528982  
    Regards
    HeinrichC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2