Nissan Sani MKll 1993 4x4 D21 Front Suspension

Default Nissan Sani MKll 1993 4x4 D21 Front Suspension

Hi guys

I seem to be battling with some parts and bushes for this specific model. Im down in CPT and have tried endlessly to source new, stronger and more reliable parts for my Van.

Firstly, Im looking for a complete set of Polyutherane Bushes for my front suspension but cannot find them anywhere. Midas either has the wrong parts listed on their “system” or no stock at all.

Ive tried some places who says bring in the parts and we can make them for you... only to spend a whole day removing the parts and then only to be told that its too far worn to get measurements to manufacture the parts accurately.

Technosa, sells the parts listed for the vehicle only to be told its the wrong parts when we (mechanic) try and install it.

Masterparts... another story, Ive taken my lower control arm with me to purchase new ones... the ones they have listed on their “system” looks worlds apart from what I have in my hand and do not want to take a chance.

Nissan Agencies, for the money the ask, I might as well buy a brand new Patrol. eg: new driver side window winding mechanism.... R2650 EX VAT!!!

Suburban Spares. Never have stock of anything sells the same products as Midas at a fraction of the cost. My name had been on a list there since the beginning of this year.

Ive tried some 4x4 places and my vehicle seems to be too old for them to have parts readily available... they can either manufacture or have to bring it in at an inflated price which makes it tooooo expensive to even consider.

I have thought of bringing the parts in myself but have too little experience and if I order the wrong parts I will end up sitting with a spare-shop of parts and no one to sell it too.

Attached is an example of what I am currently looking for, what I want but have no access too locally.

Please guys, any help would greatly be appreciated and will highly be rerecommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	510501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	510502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	510503

Default Re: Nissan Sani MKll 1993 4x4 D21 Front Suspension

It can't be that hard for them to take measurements of what is there and approximate, maybe find another place that makes them up?

These places are hard to find, only the mainstream places are online and they all want samples, the bakkie is in a driving condition and Im planning on doing the job over the weekend, problem is I cant afford to drive around the whole week from place looking.

Ive been postponing untill I find a full set but Im going to have to go ahead and use the ones I have, first remove the lower arms, have it shotblasted then press or fit the bushes then put them back. Im probably going to have to buy the rest of the bushes and rubbers as and when I find them.

I would love to do them all in one go but it seems as if this is only going to be a dream

Try Moag's in Elsies River, and possibly BoKaap Motor Spares.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

That's why a lot of people eventually sell them or do a solid front axle conversion.

Bfreesani had to do a conversion as the compression rod bush mount on the chassis was so badly worn it needed to be re-welded all the time, also if I recall, his control arm bush mounts on the chassis were also so badly worn the bushes didn't even need a press fit.

Add to that the draglink and idler arm issues, and you eventually have an undriveable and potentially lethal vehicle.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Also send a PM to Nizmozilla on this forum: he loves his D21s and has several. He's in CT. He might have something for you.
    Percivamus

This is what I would do.....

Get hold of the manuals and identify the parts I need.

Go online and order. They are all over the interwebs. www.4x4parts.com is a good start. See: https://www.4x4parts.com/c-1046947-n...-bushings.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KobusDJ; 2018/11/22 at 07:30 AM.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    This is what I would do.....

Get hold of the manuals and identify the parts I need.

Go online and order. They are all over the interwebs. www.4x4parts.com is a good start. See: https://www.4x4parts.com/c-1046947-n...-bushings.html
    Nice idea, Kobus, but that is a 4x2 front suspension so be careful what you order.
    Percivamus

Fixed
    Kobus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

I know you are in Cape Town, But you can also try phoning Syd's Suspension in Pretoria.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

I just recently did my front suspension and brakes on the Sani including the cv boots. Upper and lower ball joint from Masterparts and Suburban. Tierod ends Suburban. Suspension rubber had been previously replace with poly bushes but went back to rubber as the ride is softer and quieter.
    Only kept the poly bushes on the stabiliser arm (Suburban)
    Could not find much Techno stuff so was forced to use what i got.

Autozone also stocks plenty of the required spares.

ironman, gps, minus 40 freezer, 2 way radio, unichip, freeflow, front runner wind cheetah

You could try Roderick Auto liner in 10th ave Retreat they do great work at very reasonable prices .
    His number is 0837610704

Call Interspares, they do the Teknorot range. You can quote them the part numbers directly out the Partquip book. They courier country wide, but I think they have a Cape Town branch.

To D21 4x4 owners, even the Sani mk2 and mk3, the standard suspension at max lift, still leaves it a platkar, and you really have to have a very aggressive driving style, and know your story to tell the difference in handling without a sway bar. I removed mine in 2008, and drove like that till 2015.

As Jelo mentioned, one of the things that is very difficult to fix, are the tension rod mounts on the chassis. They wear out oval, and get to a point where they eat up standard rubber bushes in short order.

Let me get off this phone and on to my pc, I got some pics I can post.
    Last edited by bfreesani; 2019/01/06 at 08:05 AM.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Tension rod mounts looked like this at 250k km..

Name:	220920111069.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	515122
    I went through a few sets of normal rubber bushes, before managing to find poly. Cotwals got them for me. The poly is harder, but manages to stay in shape and in one piece to have lasted me another 100k km till I cut it all out. Maybe I'm just insensitive, and along with fairly aggressive 31" mud terrain tyres, could not tell the difference with the poly bushes, besides that the rig tracked much better with them.

Name:	141220121897.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	515123
    I have these tension rods and bushes still laying here in my garage, and can go take a picture of the damage they sustained. They have some marks on them, but they held up and were able to keep themselves located, and not get eaten up.

Sad news with the D21, is that Nissan really made this a IFS (Inferior Front Suspension). They got the geometry all wrong, and these poor rigs take a beating with any sort of lift, and bigger wheels. They eat tie rods and draglinks faster than you can buy them. I had a 35mm lift with 31" muds, and I went through two sets Partquip tie rods between Joburg and Cape Town on the back route via Kimberley, Duncan, Carnorvan, and down into Southerland. Promise you that it is no fun changing out tie rods at -10Deg temps in Southerland on the side of the road, because you find your front wheels are squealing on the tar in a straight line.

Here is one of the solutions..

Name:	2005-11-21_044530_lp2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	515124
    Over engineer and rebuild everything to compensate for the Nissan design. Keep the D21 standard hight, and run 29"-30" (245/70/15) tyres, and things last much longer. Also remember that the old Sani is getting old now, and things are just not as straight as they should be. On IFS it makes big differences when things just don't line up anymore due to a meeting with a pothole or two. I managed to give mine a slight bend up front through an obstacle, and ended up with camber problems that could not be fixed. Ate up a set of tyres every two weeks. Camber on right wheel was still 1.5deg out with so many spacers on the upper control arm, that the bolt could not reach the chassis. Fairly much a terminal situation, and you can write the vehicle off. Nissan quoted 16k just for all the replacement parts, but this did not guarantee a solution. Had everything tested and measured, and three panel shops, and various mechanics and myself could not find the bent bit. Until now, I still don't know what was bent. I gave my upper and lower control arms away to someone, and they are using it with no problems, so I presume it must be chassis.

Other solution.....SFA, but we won't go there, because I don't know what I am talking about, and have no idea what I am doing
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

100k km damage to poly bushes in oval chassis mounts.

Just a note to those guys looking at the teknorot ball joints, the bolt that goes into the hub pitman is somewhat larger, and causes a bit of a lift of the upper control arm to the hub, and gets the coilover bracket too close to the rim. It catches the inside of the rim at full lock, and I had to shave off some of the bracket to make it work.

But well worth it going with the teknorot in those days. Same price as Partquip

I can confirm everything David has said. The D21 IFS was truly abysmal when it came to longevity combined with any lift.

That being said, we're talking over 200,000kms here and some people have never had issues
    Percivamus

Klip in die bos:
    Was dit n design flop, of n prys skok?

Deur die bank, het hulle 200 000km, selfs met lift, gekry. Op die oorspronklikke parte.

Dan, erens na 200 000km (wat eintlik goed is), moet parte vervang word. Dan skrik almal vir die parte se prys, en fit pirate. En dan begin die die sukkel, en is dit n swak design.

Uit persoonlikke ondervinding met 18 1 tonners/ hardbody/ np300. Nie een het nog voor 200 000km ifs probleme gegee. Almal wat ek pirate ingesit het, het dadelik weer probleme gegee.

My 3.2 4x4 het ek op 300k gekoop, en op 450k verkoop. Ek weet nie wat voor 300k gebeur het, maar van 300-450 het hy na einde speling op die een draglink gehad. Verder niks aan ifs geraak
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.