Meaning of Tyre lettering

Default Meaning of Tyre lettering

I have the following lettering on my tyres :

M + S =
    265 x 65 x R17 = tyre sze
    112H

Can somebody please explain .

Thks
    You have only 1 life MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES !!

Default Re: Meaning of Tyre lettering

On Michelin, M + S = Mud and Snow

110 is load rating = 1060kg
    H is speed rating = 210 km/h
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

"Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    105 series 4.5efi
    06 V6 Colt

yes: M + S = Mud and Snow.

NOT "mud and sand"
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * SHREK - 1975/8 Land-Cruiser HJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds

* 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C. FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres

* 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A
    Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Never too old to learn !!

I also thought is was Mud and Sand.

(What is snow? - as rare as rain)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Just keep in mind, that a M+S rating doesn't mean the tyre is suitable for cold weather operation. It is just a classification of the tread, not the compound. Winter tyres, as they are required in several countries in Europe for the winter season, have an additional snowflake symbol, indicating the tyre compound is a cold weather compound.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2018/12/01 at 01:16 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Just keep in mind, that a M+S rating doesn't mean the tyre is suitable for cold weather operation. It is just a classification of the tread, not the compound. Winter tyres, as they are required in several countries in Europe for the winter season, have an additional snowflake symbol, indicating the tyre compound is a cold weather compound.
    Interesting, i wonder what would be added to a cold weather compound, compared to say a tyre that would tecnically require a sun symbol
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Interesting, i wonder what would be added to a cold weather compound, compared to say a tyre that would tecnically require a sun symbol
    I haven't used winter tyres in 20 years now. But back then they where made of a softer compound in order to ensure adequate grip at cold temperatures when the grip of normal tyres would start to deteriorate. If you kept winter tyres on for longer than necessary, they would wear faster at warmer temperatures than the summer tyres.
    Not sure whether it is today still like this, seeing that modern tyres can have softer compounds AND have give better mileage.

Back then winter tyres often had a reduced speed rating, as they weren't made to withstand high temperatures and one had to have a sticker on the dash board indicating that reduced max. speed.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2018/12/16 at 04:27 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I haven't used winter tyres in 20 years now. But back then they where made of a softer compound in order to ensure adequate grip at cold temperatures when the grip of normal tyres would start to deteriorate. If you kept winter tyres on for longer than necessary, they would wear faster at warmer temperatures than the summer tyres.
    Not sure whether it is today still like this, seeing that modern tyres can have softer compounds AND have give better mileage.

Back then winter tyres often had a reduced speed rating, as they weren't made to withstand high temperatures and one had to have a sticker on the dash board indicating that reduced max. speed.
    I see now my Grabber AT3 is marked m+s with a snowflake as well
    Are they for cold weather (only)?

Did Nam last Dec with trailer, including a very hot trip almost nonstop from Swakop to beyond Sossus, towing an off road trailer, no problems whatsoever, even though i deflated tyres for corrugations
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    I see now my Grabber AT3 is marked m+s with a snowflake as well
    Are they for cold weather (only)?

Did Nam last Dec with trailer, including a very hot trip almost nonstop from Swakop to beyond Sossus, towing an off road trailer, no problems whatsoever, even though i deflated tyres for corrugations
    The mountain with snow flake symbol indicates that the tyre meets certain winter / cold weather traction requirements. Traditionally a tyre's rubber would get harder with lower temperatures which would result in less traction on ice, snow or even dry roads. Up until some 10 or 20 years ago, a different, cold weather rubber compound would be used in order to compensate for lower temperatures.
    But these days, tyre compounds can, similar to synthetic oils, stretch over a much wider range of temperatures.

Take for example the very old GY Wrangler from 15+ ago or even the old BFG A/T. They were classic examples of tyres with a hard rubber compound. They gave loads of mileage but at the expense of comfort and traction specially on wet roads.
    More modern tyres, the FS Destination A/T being one of the first I know of, had synthetically engineered rubber compounds, with exceptionally long molecule chains, which gives an otherwise relatively soft tyre a decent life span and damage resistance together with ride comfort and good grip on tar.

Same I would think would apply to most modern A/T tyres. The Grabber AT3 would have an advanced rubber compound which is able to do well at our normal temperatures but would still meet cold weather traction requirements in order to get the snowflake symbol. Nothing to worry about.

In essence, the M+S symbol says more about the tread pattern while the snowflake symbol is more related to the rubber compound.

Read more here: https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/mountainsnowflake-symbol/

Last edited by HugoNotte; 2018/12/18 at 11:18 AM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

The muountain with snow flake symbol indicates that the tyre meets certain winter / cold weather traction requirements. Traditionally a tyre's rubber would get harder with lower temperatures which would result in less traction on ice, snow or even dry roads. Up until some 10 or 20 years ago, a different, cold weather rubber compound would be used in order to compensate for lower temperatures.
    But these days, tyre compounds can, similar to synthetic oils, stretch over a much wider range of temperatures.

Take for example the very old GY Wrangler from 15+ ago or even the old BFG A/T. They were classic examples of tyres with a hard rubber compound. They gave loads of mileage but at the expense of comfort and traction specially on wet roads.
    More modern tyres, the FS Destination A/T being one of the first I know of, had synthetically engineered rubber compounds, with exceptionally long molecule chains, which gives an otherwise relatively soft tyre a decent life span and damage resistance together with ride comfort and good grip on tar.

Same I would think would apply to most modern A/T tyres. The Grabber AT3 would have an advanced rubber compound which is able to do well at our normal temperatures but would still meet cold weather traction requirements in order to get the snowflake symbol. Nothing to worry about.

In essence, the M+S symbol says more about the tread pattern while the snowflake symbol is more related to the rubber compound.

Read more here: https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/mountainsnowflake-symbol/

Interesting, although i understand our tyres are a rubber compound with in fact very little rubber in, rubber is one of the few substances which, contrary to popular belief, shrinks when heated and expands when cooled. Due to long molecule chains and something called entropy. Now i am on thin ice, i know so little
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2018/12/18 at 06:12 PM.
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS