Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    OK, I had to buy what was available at Harties.

Our Autozone is useless.

Philips X treme Vision 130.

R300 per pair.

Will see how long they last.

Now I just have to figure out how to polish acrylic light covers..........It's pointless having lovely new globes and the lens is all milky.
    Jelo have you tried them yet?

Default Re: Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Jelo have you tried them yet?
    Nope, hopefully I'll have some free time in 2020 or 2021.........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Nope, hopefully I'll have some free time in 2020 or 2021.........

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Safari View Post
    Went and did some further research. It seems it is all about contrast, the same effect you see on your tv when you adjust the contrast in the picture quality. The actual prices for bulbs relates only to the "brightness" of the bulb and to some degree, quality, but at the end of the day, the "brightness" do not necessarily make you see better at night, it is the contrast with which the human eye functions that determine focused illumination of objects, near and far, to enable you to see better. Thus, a cheap "yellow" bulb will actually be better for night driving, just up the wattage. Led works best for stationary functions like camping or to illuminate a large area with white light. Just my experience of the difference in colour of light.
    I mentioned this a while back on one of the many lightbar threads, and was told its bull. There are people out there that just believe brighter and "whiter" is better, which just pushes them further up the Kelvin range into the blue spectrum. Lucky for some of us, halogen globes just can't get to the 6k+ Kelvin ranges.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    I mentioned this a while back on one of the many lightbar threads, and was told its bull. There are people out there that just believe brighter and "whiter" is better, which just pushes them further up the Kelvin range into the blue spectrum. Lucky for some of us, halogen globes just can't get to the 6k+ Kelvin ranges.
    Whiter is better, around 4500k is great which is near daylight and a lot cooler than std incandescent.

Problem is most led emitters used in led automotive lighting products are a little to far up the cold spectrum, colder leds are more efficient and give more lumen output per watt than warmer varieties so thats what is typically used.

So I decided to go with the Hella Daymaker, the 3 different globes are all very close in spec/price point and the R50 savings on the Hella at R169 can rather go to the next set of bulbs.

The light colour and output is noticeably better than the old bulb, which was Osram Bilux(their stock OEM/budget long life globe) but as with any new part you become hyper aware of everything after fitting it and I see now there is a noticeable shadow line in the beam on the road, at the very beginning of the beam pattern around 4m in front of the vehicle, there isn't a soft dropping off of the light and it's on both sides.

Does that sound normal?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/12/28 at 10:44 PM.

I popped in one of the old Osram bulbs on the drivers side to test and the shadow lines parallel to the front of the vehicle are still there with the old bulb but when I put the Hella Daymaker back in and tested it the shadows become harder and more noticeable, who knows.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/12/29 at 11:33 PM.

I popped in one of the old Osram bulbs on the drivers side to test and the shadow lines parallel to the front of the vehicle are still there with the old bulb but when I put the Hella Daymaker back in and tested it the shadows become harder and more noticeable, who knows.
    My guess is that it's easier for the eye to perceive those lines due to the better contrast the colder light provides. With the old bulbs emitting a warmer light, the contrast might be a little less.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Does the Hilux Revo use H4 bulbs?
    Last edited by Hennie84; 2019/03/08 at 10:14 AM.

OK, had to replace one at least as the passenger side dim filament ALSO died. Had to remove the cyclonic airbox to get my fat hands in there: the retaining mechanism is a stupid sprung clip and screw combo and you need enough clearance to get a short star screwdriver in there.

Colour is good, bright is better than the old H4 that is still in the drivers side.

Problem now is that it seems the LHS housing has come loose from the servo track so the dashboard adjuster doesn't work on the LHS. Or else the LHS adjustment servo motor is dead. So the dim beam is too high and I can't do squat about it.

Bugger. Will try and fiddle with the little manual adjustment screw thingy on the rear of the housing this weekend.

Also, the RHS bulb is almost impossible to remove as there is no space for a short screwdriver between the light housing and the battery bracket, so I had to go and buy a small socket set with a screwdriver bit driver adapter. R125 investment.

Double bugger.

Will try the drivers side this weekend.

Both bulbs are in.

Passenger adjustment is still out. Anybody have any idea how the Tata electrical adjusters work?

Why has it gone out. Is the globe longer than the one that was in there before? If you change the focal length with a longer globe, you have all sorts of problems with the settings.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Why has it gone out. Is the globe longer than the one that was in there before? If you change the focal length with a longer globe, you have all sorts of problems with the settings.
    vertical adjustment is out and the servo isn't engaging with the housing

so LHS alignment is too high and I can't adjust it down

hope it isn't a stripped cog or something

Both bulbs are in.

Passenger adjustment is still out. Anybody have any idea how the Tata electrical adjusters work?
    They have electrical motors just for the headlight adjustment, sounds like overkill if that is the case?

They have electrical motors just for the headlight adjustment, sounds like overkill if that is the case?
    most vehicles have motorised adjusters these days

most vehicles have motorised adjusters these days
    To adjust for say load/towing , mine has that but not to adjust for the base alignment/height?

To adjust for say load/towing , mine has that but not to adjust for the base alignment/height?
    yes well the LHS light doesn't seem attached to the system any more and doesn't move at all, I'm not keen to just go and buy a new complete headlight before I can see if the base adjuster can get re-acquainted with the motor

But I'll try and find an owners manual on the Interweb and see if I can glean anything.

OK found a little info
    Attached Images Attached Images  

On mine you can adjust the height of the beam independent of the leveling motor, the leveling motor just adds a few degrees of adjustment on top of the base adjustment.

On mine you can adjust the height of the beam independent of the leveling motor, the leveling motor just adds a few degrees of adjustment on top of the base adjustment.
    well I don't know where the base adjustment knob is

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4