Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

So are you guys saying the Hella Daymaker +80 with a beam colour of 3500K is actually a better option?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Default Re: Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

This is interesting

https://www.hella.com/hella-za/asset..._2012_LRes.pdf

So some outtakes of that doc.

1. To make the lights brighter they use thinner filaments, therefore most likely less durable.
    2. They make the light bluer/whiter by adding a coating.
    3. They at no stage admit that whiter light makes it easier to see at night, they highlight that it's more for looks.
    4. The nite vision+ actually makes it more yellow (presume for fog)
    5. The long life bulbs still claim 50% better light than regular halogens. But they seem to be 24V? Will that still work in a 12V vehicle?
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2018/11/26 at 08:41 AM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Bertie and Quicksilver, you can't possibly say things like that. You will upset all these guys with their LED lightbars who slated me on another thread when I told them the same thing. I already see the same result between my Hella Comet 500 blue lens compared to the normal clear lens.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Haven't read every post...

I had the Hella Daymakers in, lasted about 6 months and the one blew.

Got a set of Osram Nightbreakers. Installed only the side that had blown. Kept the other osram in my glovebox. I chekced on a few occasions and can't see a difference between the two front lights. Will probably replace the other one as well... and keep the hella as a glovebox spare.

The Hella that I kept in is still going strong with no issues... I don't think there's honestly that big a difference between the hella and osram, although I'm leaning a bit towards the osram.
    Last time I checked the phillips were quite a bit more expensive. Best is always relative, price, performance or price can all be judging factors of best, which could make any one of the three mentioned the best in someones view.

This answer does not answer your original question, but my 2cw. I fitted Ring Xenon Ultima to my high beams and fog lights on the Fortuner. Still running the original halogens in the projector type light. Ring Xenon Ultima has better colour (around 4200-4500K for a halogen so probably closer to 3800 - 4000K on the road) and have traveled about 60000 km with them now without problems. Also do some gravel road travelling and they do fine with vibrations. Below a simplified comparison from my experience.
    Bulb: Night Breaker; Phillips Crystal Vision; Ring Xenon Ultima
    Colour: very good; good; excellent
    Beam pattern: exceptional; bad; good to very good
    Longevity: bad; n.a; excellent
    price: expensive; expensive; very expensive
    price / value: ok to bad; ok (bad); good (best I've found)
    add something?

It is important to know that all these performance bulb have a shorter lifetime as they burn hotter slightly. I would also say to stay away from any of the bulbs with a "thick" blue coating which give the light it's white colour. A halogen burns yellow and all these coatings just reduce the around of visible light on the road.

I would also be inclined to say it also depends on your car. My Polo ate bulbs at an astonishing rate (common problem on the Polo's). Also think its got to do with voltage fluctuation at low rpm (i.e. when power steering pump start working I blew quite a few bulbs after startup as the second or third post here also highlights). The Fortuner has no problem whatsoever with blowing bulbs.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Koggelmander View Post
    This answer does not answer your original question, but my 2cw. I fitted Ring Xenon Ultima to my high beams and fog lights on the Fortuner.
    I don't believe Xenon / HID are a good idea. Just my opinion. But thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Safari View Post
    Hi, I had these Phillips 4100K bulbs fitted to my Ranger and for some reason I could not see clearly at night, it looked like there is light but I couldn't quite see so good. Thought it was my eyes but hen I spoke to some guy at a spares shop and he mentioned it is the difference in contrast that LED's and Halogens cause compared to the regular "yellow" light bulbs. Apparently the human eye distinguishes objects etc much better with yellow light than the white light emitted by LED's and Halogens. It something to do with contrast, you can look it up online.

So I bought a pair of 130W Off road regular "yellow light" bulbs, yanked the Phillips LED's out and was amazed at the difference. I drive long distances in Namibia on gravel roads and tar and for the dangers associated with that I fitted two LED spot lights with the diffuser covers on and that provides me with some extra light, not that the high beams of the regular bulbs are bad at all, they are actually quite sufficient.

These off road 130W bulbs are designed for the vibration and shocks of gravel corrigated roads and they would last at least 3 to 5 years and when they go, you just get another pair at a fraction of the costs of these new LED's etc.
    Correct me If I am wrong, but any globe above 55/60w are illegal. These 130w goodies are aero globes? I remember years ago one could obtain 100w globes off the shelve for headlights.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

And those globes bigger than 55w will also overheat/burn the wafer contacts in your headlight switch. Once the tension has been lost on those strips, it's replacement time. I ran 90/130s in my old Skyline, and ended up having to replace the entire stalk unit. Since then, I have also installed a relays on every filament in every car I have owned. This in itself has given me better lights due to bypassing the voltage drop over the longer cables the manufacturers install as standard. Maybe the new cars have been "fixed" regarding this, and they switch via relays, but my old cars all ran the full power to the globe via the lights switch.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    So are you guys saying the Hella Daymaker +80 with a beam colour of 3500K is actually a better option?
    That post was referring to Led globes, 4500k-5000k would probably be the most colour accurate light and give the best acuity but difficult to get that with Led(would be crazy expensive) and expensive with short life on halogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    This is interesting

https://www.hella.com/hella-za/asset..._2012_LRes.pdf

So some outtakes of that doc.

1. To make the lights brighter they use thinner filaments, therefore most likely less durable.
    2. They make the light bluer/whiter by adding a coating.
    3. They at no stage admit that whiter light makes it easier to see at night, they highlight that it's more for looks.
    4. The nite vision+ actually makes it more yellow (presume for fog)
    5. The long life bulbs still claim 50% better light than regular halogens. But they seem to be 24V? Will that still work in a 12V vehicle?
    Closer the light is to 4500k-5000k the better, that's in terms of human vision but achieving that with a light bulb seems quite difficult to do and not all globes that claim a certain light temp are the same, they use different means to get there.

I also saw those 24v globes those are probably for trucks, they won't work very well on 12v systems.

OK, I had to buy what was available at Harties.

Our Autozone is useless.

Philips X treme Vision 130.

R300 per pair.

Will see how long they last.

Now I just have to figure out how to polish acrylic light covers..........It's pointless having lovely new globes and the lens is all milky.

Our Autozone is useless.

R300 per pair.

Now I just have to figure out how to polish acrylic light covers..........It's pointless having lovely new globes and the lens is all milky.
    Meguiars PlastX is amazing for that, some voodoo in that polish when it comes to lights, use a buffer or polishing mop on a drill works just as well. Costs around R200 at Builders/Makro/takealot.

Just make sure when you prep to finish with min 1500 water paper and I wouldn't go below 1000 grit to begin with because the scratches below that are neigh impossible to get out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Meguiars PlastX is amazing for that, some voodoo in that polish when it comes to lights, use a buffer or polishing mop on a drill works just as well. Costs around R200 at Builders/Makro/takealot.

Just make sure when you prep to finish with min 1500 water paper and I wouldn't go below 1000 grit to begin with because the scratches below that are neigh impossible to get out.
    Maguires? What about good old Brasso?

Maguires? What about good old Brasso?
    Heard they reformulated Brasso and it doesn't work anymore, used to be a good option.

The Meguiars PlastX just works really well, I also have Meguiars Ultimate compound which is amazing stuff but didn't work very effectively on my headlights, PlastX you could immediately see it was the tool for the job. I polish my headlights every few months, just put a little PlastX on the buffer and give them a once over, keeps them crystal with very little effort.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Our Autozone is useless.

R300 per pair.

Jelo have you fitted your new globes yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Jelo have you fitted your new globes yet?
    no, had 15 minutes last weekend and realised the following

1) I need to remove the filter airbox before I can do anything
    2) looking at the rear of the current globes, they don't look like H4...........

Eeish, hopefully they'll exchange them, G4 are the cheapest globes, other varieties can get quite pricey.

Went and did some further research. It seems it is all about contrast, the same effect you see on your tv when you adjust the contrast in the picture quality. The actual prices for bulbs relates only to the "brightness" of the bulb and to some degree, quality, but at the end of the day, the "brightness" do not necessarily make you see better at night, it is the contrast with which the human eye functions that determine focused illumination of objects, near and far, to enable you to see better. Thus, a cheap "yellow" bulb will actually be better for night driving, just up the wattage. Led works best for stationary functions like camping or to illuminate a large area with white light. Just my experience of the difference in colour of light.

On my second set of Hella's on the FJ now. First set lasted circa 5 years. Figured, if they lasted that long, I'll just put the same in again.

As for brightness, cant comment, although they seem to do the job.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    On my second set of Hella's on the FJ now. First set lasted circa 5 years. Figured, if they lasted that long, I'll just put the same in again.

As for brightness, cant comment, although they seem to do the job.
    Was that the Hella Daymaker +80?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Safari View Post
    Went and did some further research. It seems it is all about contrast, the same effect you see on your tv when you adjust the contrast in the picture quality. The actual prices for bulbs relates only to the "brightness" of the bulb and to some degree, quality, but at the end of the day, the "brightness" do not necessarily make you see better at night, it is the contrast with which the human eye functions that determine focused illumination of objects, near and far, to enable you to see better. Thus, a cheap "yellow" bulb will actually be better for night driving, just up the wattage. Led works best for stationary functions like camping or to illuminate a large area with white light. Just my experience of the difference in colour of light.
    All things being the same 4800k(colour temp of direct sunlight) is apparently optimal for human vision in terms of acuity, standard globes are around 3000k so a high quality 4800k globe will give better contrast than an old yellow type.

The issue though is it becomes very costly to make 4800k globes that still adhere to the required light output.

But warmer/more yellow light is better in bad weather because the wavelength cuts through mist etc better than cooler light.

Can you get slightly higher wattage std globes?

Ring seem to make some but going much more than 20w over stock is probably looking for expensive problems, damaged wiring or switch gear, melted headlight housings/globe fittings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3