Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

If you could choose between the following all in H4 which one would it be:

Hella Daymaker +80 R195 at Midas currently R169 on special - Beam colour is 3500K
    OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited R225 at Diesel Electric - Beam colour is 3600K Lifetime : 80/300hr 160/500hr
    Philips CrystalVision Ultra Clear R219 at Grandmark - Beam colour is 4100K Lifetime: B3=90/180hr Tc=180/360hr

All else being the same the phillips at 4100K would be the best on paper.

Seems the Phillips CrystalVision bulbs do get the most recommendations but I also see people mention they only have a rated life of 150hrs, which is terrible and would explain people mentioning them only lasting a few months. The spec sheet states the following under the Life time heading: B3=90/180 Tc=180/360 , does anyone know how to interpret those figures?

EDIT: As per my info below the B3 figure is the minimum period that 97% are expected to last.
    The Tc figure is the period when 63% of the bulbs are expected to have failed.

These numbers apply for a test voltage of 13.2 volts, higher the voltage shorter the life lower the longer.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/11/21 at 01:10 PM.

Default Re: Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

Via Google:
    B3 figure is the minimum period that 97% are expected to last.
    The Tc figure is the period when 63% of the bulbs are expected to have failed.
    These numbers apply for a test voltage of 13.2 volts, higher the voltage shorter the life lower the longer.

So the Phillips spec B3=90/180 Tc=180/360 means it will last minimum 90hrs on High beam/180hrs on low and if you are lucky 180/360.

Default Re: Hella Daymaker vs OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited vs Philips CrystalVision

I've had both the hella and the philips.
    The philips works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    I've had both the hella and the philips.
    The philips works for me.
    How long did you find they lasted.

I found this common sense tip to extend the life, only works on the dual filament globes like the H4:

I was happy to notice decent light output from Nightbreaker first generation and after a few months I had to change them for a new pair. It took me another pair to start thinking. Then I have changed to Nightbreaker Plus. I thought that something has to be done to prolong the lifespan. Whatever the real reason for my result is, here is my logic.

Since it is the low beam filament that breaks first, I thought that low beam filament is the one which needs some help. I knew that for a very short amount of time, when headlights are turned on, there is almost a shortcircuit, as the wolfram filament is cold and for that reason more electric current flows through, hence short damaging peak power.

I thought that if I manage to warm up the low beam filament prior to switching it on, it might help to prolong the bulb lifespan. I do that at the cost of high beam filament lifespan. When ever possible (if safe) I switch to high beam first and then I switch on the headlights. Highbeam filament warms up the whole bulb and also the shortbeam filament. The temperature gets high enough, so that cold start damage should be reduced significantly.

It has been two years since I have changed Nightbreaker for Nightbreaker Plus and they are still running fine. I drive 40.000km annually. I will let you know, which filament will break first, but doesn’t really matter, as I have already managed to prolong the lifespan of my H4 NBP bulb for more then 100% compared to my previous two pairs of H4 on the same car and same mileage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Hellas - 11 months
    Philips 2 years and counting

Which of the 3 handle dirt roads the best?

I've had Osrams fail due to vibration on corrugations.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

that is a very good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    Hellas - 11 months
    Philips 2 years and counting
    I had osram's which did not last very long on my Isuzu and replaced them with Hella Daymaker due to their price. Hella lasted longer, but osram had better light I felt.

I have got unlimited in my Navara now, and big improvement over the OEM's.

Was that on the Night Breaker range, how long did they last?

I would not get the Philips Crystal Visions, their Extreme Vision (+130%) and now the newer Racing Vision (+150%) provide much more light and if I recall correctly they last about the same amount of time, and are not as "blue" as the Crystal Visions.

I had the Extreme Visions in an Amarok (H7) for about 2 years without an issue. Including a 2 week trip to the Kgalagadi.

I also had the Racing Visions in an FJ Cruiser (H4) for about 11 months without an issue. Also including a 2 week Kgalagadi trip.

I sold both vehicles with the bulbs still in them. Just for interest, there are now LED bulbs that come out with the correct cut-offs at the right places for H4 bulbs. But they're more expensive than the halogens.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Was that on the Night Breaker range, how long did they last?
    yes, and about 3 months

And with a full sized bullbar with steel mesh light guards, it is NOT fun replacing Defender globes all the time......
    Percivamus

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I have never used the Philips units, they do have an higher rating in light. But they are about double the price as OP mentioned.
    Xtreme @ R350 per set on TakeAlot

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    I would not get the Philips Crystal Visions, their Extreme Vision (+130%) and now the newer Racing Vision (+150%) provide much more light and if I recall correctly they last about the same amount of time, and are not as "blue" as the Crystal Visions.

I had the Extreme Visions in an Amarok (H7) for about 2 years without an issue. Including a 2 week trip to the Kgalagadi.

I also had the Racing Visions in an FJ Cruiser (H4) for about 11 months without an issue. Also including a 2 week Kgalagadi trip.

I sold both vehicles with the bulbs still in them. Just for interest, there are now LED bulbs that come out with the correct cut-offs at the right places for H4 bulbs. But they're more expensive than the halogens.
    They are definitely better than the crystal visions but you do pay quite a premuim for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    Just for interest, there are now LED bulbs that come out with the correct cut-offs at the right places for H4 bulbs. But they're more expensive than the halogens.
    Tell us more? Since LED is quite robust with a longer life, I'd be keen. The Tata needs new globes as the LHS dim is dead so I need to buy something anyway.
    Percivamus

Tell us more? Since LED is quite robust with a longer life, I'd be keen. The Tata needs new globes as the LHS dim is dead so I need to buy something anyway.

do the LED globes also give you the focused beam like the halogens. Or would this be like the HID flood beam?

I've looked into the LED thing.

You need to research each vehicle individually and be very wary of getting the right bulbs for your specific application. Seems most fo the bulbs out there either flicker or have terrible beam patterns.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post

You need to research each vehicle individually and be very wary of getting the right bulbs for your specific application. Seems most fo the bulbs out there either flicker or have terrible beam patterns.
    The Tata has no CANBUS, standard H4 fittings.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post

Or cause interference on radio equipment from the drivers. Not wanting to start another legal debate, but gloves also need to carry the E certification, but very seldom the cops dig that deep into your lights.

Also be aware that most LED globes have fans on there heatsinks, that could fall fowl to mud and water, but less of a problem for most the platkarre mentioned in this thread so far. Some Patrol guys have had great success with LEDs that have the sealed back sections without the fans, just much bigger heatsinks.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Only place I've found thus far that seems to have legit decent Led globes is Extreme Lights but over R1k for a pair of H4 globes and you better hope they fit because they may have cooling fins, fans at the back. And at that price you may still be stuck with a dead globe and out of pocket, Led are robust but especially at vehicle headlight beam strength, heat and duty cycle they are not infallible.

I'm happy with Halogen at around R200 a set if they last min 24 months, a good halogen bulb is still a great light.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/11/20 at 05:24 PM.

Yes, I'm willing to go to around R400 a set of good halogens. But I drive a dirt road every day and I don't want to throw R400 away every other month, so I need something with a robust pair of filaments.
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast