Suspension Shocks 2006 peugeot 407 coupe ?

Default Different shocks on same model a myth or not ?

As i recently have taken the time to delve deep into getting the right contacts and parts to get my vehicle fixed as to try not to get ripped off, i came across something not many people know anything concrete about and thought it would make for a good discussion

my vehicle model is a peugeot 407 coupe 2.7 hdi 2006.

I found 2 "types" of shocks available as replacement

One is for the 2.0 liter HDI version (a 120kw engine version)
    And the other for the 2.7 liter HDI version (a 150kw version)

And here they are clearly showing one as the 120kw version and the other as the 150kw version:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bilstein-B6...eot-407-Coupe-6C-2-0-HDi-120-kW-/311750756811

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein...h=item4893ca98f2:g:qZ4AAOSwLF1X~L71:rk: 3f:0

Now speaking to various people, they cannot pinpoint that there is actually different shocks for different engine size versions of the same model.

So is it truth or is it a myth that you get 2 different types of shocks for the same model and different engine size ?
    Is the ebay listings just a marketing gimmick ? Or is it the truth that the actual shocks differ from each other ?
    For instance, a mechanic also told me:

That the KYB shock that one gets for my car is for 120 & 150kw engines. There is not a different shock for the 120kw engine and there is not a different shock for the 150kw engine.

Now is that the same for the stock shock that one orders from Peugeot ? Or does the Original peugeot shock come in 2 versions, one for 120kw engines, and one for 150kw engines ?
    Or do you get an aftermarket shock that is "universal" for both engines ?

Another example from the mechanic i met, he said the 2,2 & 3,2lt Ford Rangers uses the same shocks on the same model range (2x4 & 4x4)
    Last edited by stumpo; 2018/11/20 at 08:34 AM.

Default Re: Shocks 2006 peugeot 407 coupe ?

For my sins we had a 407 Coupe 2.7HDI for a while. Never drove a 2.0 version but the 2.7 could electronically adjust the different setting for the shocks so pretty sure it is not the same as the 2.0

PS does yours also have that horrible dead spot just above idle that makes getting away quickly from standstill impossible?
    Last edited by mullerza; 2018/11/20 at 08:41 AM.
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Yes it can be electronically adjusted for height, thats it, the question is, is the compression of the 2 different shocks ie the 2.2 liter 120kw version compared to the 2.7 hdi 150kw engine version the same ? ie is it essentially the same shock ? There are aftermarket shocks that you can fit that does not utilize it, then the AMVAR can simply be disabled in planet peugeot.

I also heard a lot of stories with regards to the reliability of these electronic sensors, with time, the sensors actually might move by a few milimeters over time and then causing adjustment un equally which is a really big pain to re calibrate once the problem is understood. So i would rather want suspension not using this feature.

So i guess what i am asking, if i fit the 2.2 liter hdi shocks onto the car with the 2.7 liter engine, would i notice a major difference ?

No dead spot noticed on mine no
    Last edited by stumpo; 2018/11/20 at 12:14 PM.

Shocks are rated for weight so if the 2 shcoks are otherwise identical compare the weight difference between the 2 vehicle models and if its negligible then there shouldn't be any issue using them on either model. Is the one shock significantly more expensive or harder to source than the other?

Thank you sir.

Yes indeed, the electronic shocks costs 16000 rands for 2 rear ones from peugeot.

The aftermarket one's which is not electronic as far as i think they are not electronic, costs me R1550 per shock, so big difference.

Then i can get 2 rear shocks from a scrapyard that came of a 2.2 liter engine car for R550 each.
    Last edited by stumpo; 2018/11/20 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpo View Post
    Thank you sir.

Yes indeed, the electronic shocks costs 16000 rands for 2 rear ones from peugeot.

The aftermarket one's which is not electronic as far as i think they are not electronic, costs me R1550 per shock, so big difference.

Then i can get 2 rear shocks from a scrapyard that came of a 2.2 liter engine car for R550 each.
    Probably worth trying the new shocks at R1500 if the electronics can be coded out. Have you googled this issue or asked on a Peugeot forum, I'm sure it would have been done before, try on the UK forums.

google not bring up much a few posts... but how it works and how to change and adjust seems like a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by stumpo View Post
    google not bring up much a few posts... but how it works and how to change and adjust seems like a mystery
    Find a Peugeot specific forum in the UK and ask on there.