DIY high voltage probe for multimeter. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: DIY high voltage probe for multimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by willem wikkel spies View Post

voltage was not constant, ranging from about 10 000 volts to 13000volts.
    That looks like a Rocam engine in a Ford Bantam. They use the wasted spark method which means the spark plug fires on every stroke. On compression stroke the spark needs to be stronger to jump the gap and on the exhaust stroke with out compression it will be weaker. This could be the reason why the voltage is not constant(I think).
    So on a normal ign. system the voltage reading could be more constant?
    Another thing that I was thinking about is that on a 2 stroke engine that also fires on every stroke the spark pulses will be very short (specially at high rpm) and that could improve the accuracy of the meter reading. I guess a practical test will be the only answer.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

Default Re: DIY high voltage probe for multimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    That looks like a Rocam engine in a Ford Bantam. They use the wasted spark method which means the spark plug fires on every stroke. On compression stroke the spark needs to be stronger to jump the gap and on the exhaust stroke with out compression it will be weaker. This could be the reason why the voltage is not constant(I think).
    So on a normal ign. system the voltage reading could be more constant?
    Another thing that I was thinking about is that on a 2 stroke engine that also fires on every stroke the spark pulses will be very short (specially at high rpm) and that could improve the accuracy of the meter reading. I guess a practical test will be the only answer.
    yip dit is a ford rocamů.

and yes they do spark tdc and bdc.

we only did a quick test, and it was done on a bare rod of steel
    the staffix will pick it up through the HT lead as well, but voltage will be much less.

i'll put it on the son's bike, single cylinder 4 stroke during the week and see what the difference is.

just to have a indication.

its not cast in stone.

all you want is just a simple thing which gives you quite a accurate indication in order to possibly exclude something.
    seems like you are there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to willem wikkel spies For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3