Mpopo camp at Niassa

Default Mpopo camp at Niassa

This is an amazing destination if you're up in these parts. Haven't been myself but a vet friend just returned from collaring Ellies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Mpopo camp at Niassa

Hello,
    I am looking for ideas where to go next october.

We would be self-driving in our Nissan Navara truck and Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania would be our starting and ending point. On previous trips we went to the north and west to Kigoma. So, I think it would be time to go south/west again.

We have been to Selous and Ruaha before. Especially Ruaha was excellent. Although driving from Morogoro to Iringa is bad with many slow trucks and police stops in just about every village. But we both would want to see Ruaha again. Of course, that would just be 1 park in a trip of 2-3 weeks.

While browsing I came across the Niassa NP in Mozambique and this post. Very interesting. I am trying to find information if it is practical to go to Niassa from Tanzania. Mpopo camp is tempting.

Regards,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoepping View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for ideas where to go next october.

We would be self-driving in our Nissan Navara truck and Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania would be our starting and ending point. On previous trips we went to the north and west to Kigoma. So, I think it would be time to go south/west again.

We have been to Selous and Ruaha before. Especially Ruaha was excellent. Although driving from Morogoro to Iringa is bad with many slow trucks and police stops in just about every village. But we both would want to see Ruaha again. Of course, that would just be 1 park in a trip of 2-3 weeks.

While browsing I came across the Niassa NP in Mozambique and this post. Very interesting. I am trying to find information if it is practical to go to Niassa from Tanzania. Mpopo camp is tempting.

Regards,
    Paul.
    I would check that Mpopo Camp is still operating. There is a lot of stuff happening in northern Mozambique at the moment with regard to security.

Having said that, yes, you can get from southern Tanzania across the Ruvuma - over Unity Bridge or on a tide-dependant ferry near the river mouth.

But I donít think there will be much game left in Niassa. Why donít you go to Kenya?

Hello
    Wazungu Wawili,
    I like to get away from the crowds. It is just not the same when 20 cars are parked around an interesting sighting of animals. I have never done a safari in Kenya. But with the proximity to the crowds at Diani Beach I would expect that plenty of people make it into the parks, especially the Masai Mara.

We very much liked these parks: Gonarezhou in Zimbawe, Tarangire, Northern Serengeti, Ruaha in Tanzania.

We now have a house and a car in Dar Es Salaam. So, that would have to be our starting and ending point for the trip. Our last 3 trips went to the northern circuit in Tanzania. That is why I am looking south and west. My wife did not like Selous very much. Ruaha was excellent. We would gladly go there again.

I read about Niassa that there is plenty of game but that it is skittish. It seems that Niassa was not effected that badly by poaching during the war and through the connection with Selous game are coming back faster than natural procreation would allow for. What I do not like about Niassa is that there are several hunting concessions.

I think I am going to write to Mpoto camp. There is not much information available online. I have not even found its location.

Regards,
    Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I would check that Mpopo Camp is still operating. There is a lot of stuff happening in northern Mozambique at the moment with regard to security.

Having said that, yes, you can get from southern Tanzania across the Ruvuma - over Unity Bridge or on a tide-dependant ferry near the river mouth.

But I donít think there will be much game left in Niassa. Why donít you go to Kenya?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoepping View Post
    Hello Wazungu Wawili,
    I like to get away from the crowds. It is just not the same when 20 cars are parked around an interesting sighting of animals. I have never done a safari in Kenya. But with the proximity to the crowds at Diani Beach I would expect that plenty of people make it into the parks, especially the Masai Mara.

We very much liked these parks: Gonarezhou in Zimbawe, Tarangire, Northern Serengeti, Ruaha in Tanzania.

We now have a house and a car in Dar Es Salaam. So, that would have to be our starting and ending point for the trip. Our last 3 trips went to the northern circuit in Tanzania. That is why I am looking south and west. My wife did not like Selous very much. Ruaha was excellent. We would gladly go there again.

I read about Niassa that there is plenty of game but that it is skittish. It seems that Niassa was not effected that badly by poaching during the war and through the connection with Selous game are coming back faster than natural procreation would allow for. What I do not like about Niassa is that there are several hunting concessions.

I think I am going to write to Mpoto camp. There is not much information available online. I have not even found its location.

Regards,
    Paul.
    As I have said many, many times, there is a lot more to Kenya than the Maasai Mara. You cannot base your observations on having been to Diani beach. We have been on five hour drives through remote sections of the Mara without seeing another vehicle.

Within easy access of Dar, in Kenya, are the lovely Tsavo West, and Tsavo East National Parks. Also Shimba Hills Reserve.

If your wife didn’t like the remote wilderness of the Selous, Niassa in Mozambique will be even more remote and less travelled. Plus security concerns and bush camping. I hope you have read about the rather alarming security situation current in northern Mozambique.

Have you been to the Eastern Arc mountain ranges of Udungwa, East Usambara, and West Usambara all within Tanzania? Or the lovely Lake Tanganyika? Or the remote and wonderful Katavi National Park? Or the Southern Highlands and the “Garden of God”?

There are many wonderful places to visit in Kenya and Tanzania on the roads less travelled.

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/06/24 at 12:12 AM.

Hello Hoepping,

If you don't have luck with getting hold of Mpopo through your contact, you could try these people

http://rateltrust.org/the-team/

I know Keith and Colleen from a long time back: a friend who worked in Niassa told me they might be running Mpopo now. But not sure. He says he thinks theyíll still take bookings, but more ad-hoc, for reasons mentioned already by WW
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

We were there in May... its definitely still going strong. Just very slow going as the roads are prob worse after the rains. Took us 3 days from Cape Mclear. But there is a lot of road construction going on which will shorten the drive considerably when completed.
    A word of warning tho, bush camping is not on in the north, we weíre accosted by armed police and machete wielding crowds late at night .. even aftr getting permission to camp in a shamba.
    In the end we talked our way out of it but only through a mozambiquean friend on the phone.
    But its a spectacular destination with no other tourists when we were there. Do take the time to climb some of the insulbergs! Tsetses can be a problem but the is no sleeping sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    We were there in May... its definitely still going strong. Just very slow going as the roads are prob worse after the rains. Took us 3 days from Cape Mclear. But there is a lot of road construction going on which will shorten the drive considerably when completed..."
    Thank you Jay,

Which border and route have you taken ?

Thank you.

AP